Supermax-Moriss restart (Game stopped)

After action reports for Commander Europe at War.

Moderators: rkr1958, Happycat, Slitherine Core

supermax
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Supermax-Moriss restart (Game stopped)

Post by supermax »

Well well. Our last game was kinda fouled with the 10 russian guards units on the map from Moriss by end of 1941, opposed by my 1 SS. There was also a confusion on the fact that Moriss asked me not to do Para corps while he wouldnt do Guards. I accepted, but i dont think i ever confirmed with him. Anyway, the result was that i didnt have para corps (only divisions) and he bought guards.

We decided to stop the game also because we were no longer playing a game with the right version. We were under .19, which was by now far from reality.

Anyway, our game enabled the development team to find some bugs, thats all good. Moriss would have had the upper hand for a little while till end 1941, but i had a solid fleet developped to block the western allies, and beside i still had a solid revenue and could climp back to mount a decent 1942 offensive.

So, to the game at hand.

I decided i would jump Moriss gun in France and early blitz like hell on the low countries. So i railed all available troops and overrailed as well on turn 1 to be destroying the 2 smalls countries on turn 2. So we are now on turn 3 and i am already in Lille and Lorraine. Mo wont have time to organize his western defenses this time. Poland surredered only on turn 3 as a consequence of moving most of my assets in the west.

Last edited by supermax on Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kragdob
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by Kragdob »

Does Liege fortress stays in this case? If yes than it would be a good asset for defense against Allies later...
Cybvep

Post by Cybvep »

Your previous AAR was very interesting. I hope that this one will be interesting, too =)

Good start, but if you somehow get bogged in France, then I feel that all PPs wasted on overrailing will bite you in the a** in the future. Also, it will probably be harder to perform the Sea Lion.
richardsd
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by richardsd »

well IMHO Max is all about dictating the pace and battle, taking Mo out of his comfort zone

Max has used some of the things I would consider doing in games against Mo, I am just not as good as Max so the AAR should be a good read!
Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by Peter Stauffenberg »

Liege will be changed to a regular city when it changes to Axis control.

Max: How many PP's did you spend on overuse of the rail capacity?

So far you seem to be progressing well and it won't be easy for Morris to send hordes of UK garrisons to France unless he builds more of them to replace the HG units being sent to France.

I hope we will see a quite early fall of France in this game and that opens up for Sealion. It will be interesting to see if Morris will adapt to the rule changes and not sacrifice Britain this time. I think he needs to keep some units in Britain and also not waste his Royal Navy units. With a more normal development I foresee that the game until Barbarossa starts will be quite different from the last AAR.

Morris seems to be optimistic and wanting to try out his new Allied strategy so I'm pretty sure he has found something else he can "exploit". It will be interesting to see what he has figured out this time. According to him the game is a bit more balanced after the latest changes, but still he believes the Allies have the upper hand.
supermax

Post by supermax »

Hello guys,

I spent a lot on overail. Probably 30 on the first turn i dont rememebr exactly. I moevd all the troops i could spare from the polish campaign.

We will see how that campaign turns out. Even if i make fRance fall early, i am not sure i will be doign sealion. Well, that depends on how Moriss expands british power. If he does it recklessly lke in the other game, well then i will reconsider
supermax

Turn 4: Fair weather again, german plows thru France

Post by supermax »

Plaid
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by Plaid »

Max, can't you share knowledge how to overrun low countries in 1939? I tryed several times in hotseat, but only thing I achieved was 1 turn conquest of Belgium, not Holland. And it still had pretty low succes rating, like 40%.
Crazygunner1
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Crazygunner1 »

People have been saying lately that Blitzkrieg is not an option anymore cause it won´t gain you much in GS 2.0. So most players have gone over to Sietzkrieg tactic. I think that statement is incorrect. I have done Blitzkrieg twice now as axis and France have fallen in march one time. Right now i am playing a game that Paris looks to fall even earlier than that. So it all depends on the plan you have and what opponent you are facing.

This is also an example on how it can be done, maybe a bit extreme but anyway.

Max, good luck with this one. I doubt that Morris will change his style, this is the way he plays even with those new changes. Would be fun to see how he playes Axis :shock:

Crazyg
supermax

Turn 5: French continues to get overunned

Post by supermax »

supermax

Post by supermax »

Plaid wrote:Max, can't you share knowledge how to overrun low countries in 1939? I tryed several times in hotseat, but only thing I achieved was 1 turn conquest of Belgium, not Holland. And it still had pretty low succes rating, like 40%.
Its rather simple. You move all air assets, at least 1 tank (2 are ideal), 1 mech, and as many infantry as possible with over-railing. Overlook the cost. If you feel bad about it, think about how much PP and manpower this will save you down the strech against a suicidal player like Moriss.. and you will feel better.

On turn 2 , then you need to destroy Holland to clear the path of ZOC and then bomb the belgian capital with your 2 TAC (use your FTR to bomb the holland capital). The STR can also be used where you feel right. I usually use it against the troops in front of the belgian capital to make sure i oblitarate it.

With the MOD the troops starts so depleted that its more than feasible.

With minimal luck you will succeed. It doesnt always work, and it means Poland in 3-5 turns instead of 2 turns.
Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

I notice the lab research screen and the text show lev... instead of level. This means that you miss some of the files we updated after GS v2.01.20 or so. Have you made a full install and then an incremental one to GS v2.01.27?

In the gui folder you should have a LabBuyPanel.class from 09.09.2011, a TechLevelPanel.class from 12.08.2011, LabFocusPanel from 12.08.2011. Do you have that?

Please tell if you don't. Then I can send you the latest ones or you can check Ronnie's thread about the beta versions to make the complete installation of GS v2.01.27.
Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Rejecting Vichy is something you could do if you want to make an offensive in North Africa. You can go towards Egypt and also westwards to get Spain on your side. If you don't want to do that then I think accepting the French Armistice is better.

It seems that Morris is not wasting his UK units this time so I think he has instead made sure he can withstand a Sealion. With your early conquest of France I think you can go for Sealion, but will face stiffer resistance than last time.

A third option is to accept Vichy, not do Sealion and build up for a very strong Barbarossa instead. You can do Norway/Denmark and Yugoslavia/Greece in the mean time. You have the ability to get deep in Russia in 1941 and if you have as many armor, mech and air units you can afford then you should be able to get past Rostov and maybe even take Moscow in 1941. Then I don't think you will see strong Russian counter attacks during the winter.

All 3 options (north Africa, Sealion or just the historical path) seem to be good options. You know a bit about Morris now so I think it would be smart to select the option that exploits his weakness, i. e. being too aggressive. If he's faced with a very strong Barbarossa then it will go against his playing style to defend in the rear and abandon Leningrad, Moscow and Rostov in 1941 to save his army. So you have a chance to really hurt Russia in 1941 if you can launch the offensive in May 1941.
Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Where is your third German armor unit? I haven't seen it at all. Is it still in Poland?
supermax

Post by supermax »

Stauffenberg wrote:I notice the lab research screen and the text show lev... instead of level. This means that you miss some of the files we updated after GS v2.01.20 or so. Have you made a full install and then an incremental one to GS v2.01.27?

In the gui folder you should have a LabBuyPanel.class from 09.09.2011, a TechLevelPanel.class from 12.08.2011, LabFocusPanel from 12.08.2011. Do you have that?

Please tell if you don't. Then I can send you the latest ones or you can check Ronnie's thread about the beta versions to make the complete installation of GS v2.01.27.
I jumped from 19 to 27 direct.

Sorry... Any important stuff missing?
supermax

Post by supermax »

Stauffenberg wrote:Rejecting Vichy is something you could do if you want to make an offensive in North Africa. You can go towards Egypt and also westwards to get Spain on your side. If you don't want to do that then I think accepting the French Armistice is better.

It seems that Morris is not wasting his UK units this time so I think he has instead made sure he can withstand a Sealion. With your early conquest of France I think you can go for Sealion, but will face stiffer resistance than last time.

A third option is to accept Vichy, not do Sealion and build up for a very strong Barbarossa instead. You can do Norway/Denmark and Yugoslavia/Greece in the mean time. You have the ability to get deep in Russia in 1941 and if you have as many armor, mech and air units you can afford then you should be able to get past Rostov and maybe even take Moscow in 1941. Then I don't think you will see strong Russian counter attacks during the winter.

All 3 options (north Africa, Sealion or just the historical path) seem to be good options. You know a bit about Morris now so I think it would be smart to select the option that exploits his weakness, i. e. being too aggressive. If he's faced with a very strong Barbarossa then it will go against his playing style to defend in the rear and abandon Leningrad, Moscow and Rostov in 1941 to save his army. So you have a chance to really hurt Russia in 1941 if you can launch the offensive in May 1941.
Still pondering... Good advice there however... Problem is that its very tempting to go for the MED, but i know it will hurt me elsewhere...
supermax

Turn 6. Paris encircled. French defense totally anihilated.

Post by supermax »

zechi
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by zechi »

If you quickly take Paris Italy will most likely join the war early. You can then retry your strategy against Massina and capturing the Suez before the British activate there, but you should not forget to put a GAR in Rome ;)
supermax

Post by supermax »

zechi wrote:If you quickly take Paris Italy will most likely join the war early. You can then retry your strategy against Massina and capturing the Suez before the British activate there, but you should not forget to put a GAR in Rome ;)
I didnt know Italy would get in early if i take Paris...

BTW, Rome is now ALWAYS garrisoned in all my games.

Seems like no one forgot about that one hahaha. My worst blunder in all the games ive played. And to top it all it was the Halifax GAR that took Rome at the time :)
supermax

Post by supermax »

So much time to waste and have fun before barbarossa...

Should i do sealion? Moriss seems intent on resisting this time. As i know him he is still intent on doing the suicidal thing with the british, but on the home isles i bet this time. I will have to see if i want to jump the gun. If i keep destroying his ships however, i will attempt it.

MED? Tempting, but suicidal against Moriss.

Pondering...

Return to “Commander Europe at War : AAR's”