Plaid vs Morris - restarted

After action reports for Commander Europe at War.

Moderators: Happycat, rkr1958, Slitherine Core

Cybvep
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by Cybvep » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:41 pm

Nice AAR. It seems that Moriss is the central figure in the community. Many balance changes are made because of the strategies he uses.

Plaid
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by Plaid » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:23 pm

It is now late August 1941 and we finally started Barbarossa. Main idea is that in winter soviets will still be affected by DoW penalty, so they will be weaker.

Also late DoW reduced PP income and lab progress for USSR. I still don't want to travel any deep into USSR in 1941, so why start early?
Last thing that Morris had no clue, what my plan is for all the 1941 summer, so he did not even dare to land in France so far.

Before invasion :

And after :

Forces are not this great maybe, but we still have quite large reserves in Germany and Italy, ready to response to any allied moves.

I expect soviets will start to run immediately and we will be able to spend next 3 turns capturing soviet cities and chasing units. Morris' strategies are creative, but not very flexible - I feel like I almost know for sure, what he will do in any situation.

Plaid

Post by Plaid » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:49 am

I didn't post turn by turn Barbarossa, as nothing interesting happen. Soviets flee, axis advance, cities fall etc.

Now our offencive stopped by mud weather in october (I expected it to be fair to fix couple of positions, but OK).

In the west no landing happened in 1941. Our positions become stronger as more and more new forts of the atlantic wall are comissioned.

British airpower is maybe annoying, but they try to attack my entrenched ground forces and suffer from flak much more damage, then inflict (in terms of PP).

Atlantic is closed by german subs - no single convoy will pass to UK for a while.

Plaid

Post by Plaid » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:43 am

Well, it is november now and Morris move forward elements of his red army. Looks like positioning for winter offencive.

But, thanks to late DoW, this troops have exceptionally low effectiveness, and its NOT safe for them to deploy like this.

We (hoping that SW will not start very this turn) start our own winter offencive, breaking some chaos to soviets and almost capturing Kiev.

Actually nothing great, but killed/damaged few inf and gar with little cost to me. Maybe it will discourage Morris for a while or give him false idea of what I am planning to do.
Also destroyed this dangerous soviet position near Pskov, flanking my line.

SW didn't start after my turn, so still have time to retreat in good order.

Plaid

Post by Plaid » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:19 pm

This time I will show you thing which some people probably never seen - 2nd level italian tank skin. :) Guys from research department promise me, that in the future this tanks will get cool StuG pictures. Beside jokes, best AT units on the map, as I focused tank destroyers with Italy from the very beginning of the game. Have 4 italian armour on the map, and will stamp more.

In USSR Morris seems careless, as he don't bother to repair or replace damaged units. So we captured Kiev from damaged soviet corps, meaning that if Morris want to go offencive on the south, he should cover great distance without railing.

In the north we retreat, most of our units are now out of SW weather zone (aswell as lutfwaffe). Soviet fighters have only 4 dog fight (and poor effectiveness), meaning that me 109 are better even in winter. Pretty sweet fact.

SW started at the end of my turn, but I can't see some particulary exposed areas in my lines. My troops can't be reached by combat-able soviets (i.e. this guard guys Vitebsk). I plan to keep retreating, maintaining proper ZoC defence, avoiding fighting with soviets during winter. Morris army suffers from poor balance (0 tech air so far) and it will suffer badly in summer campaign, if we preserve and multiply number of axis troops instead of losing them in soviet-favourable circumstances.

zechi
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by zechi » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:55 pm

Italian Armor blob counters Soviet armor blob! :P

Plaid

Post by Plaid » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:18 pm

Not sure about soviets, but last time I used it, this tanks were deadly effective vs western allied armour.

Plaid

Post by Plaid » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:56 am

We didn't lost any unit in 1st turn of winter. Looks like our plans are working fine, ZoC defences stop most of soviet army from even attacking our lines.

Also succesfully feinted with Gomel area evacuation, as significant force of soviets detached to retake empty city

In the south we will flee as far as romanian and polish border, why not?

Can't see single soviet tank, but stats thing says USSR have 8 armour. It can't be all error, yes?

zechi

Post by zechi » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:18 am

Your defensive line looks good, but I would not retreat to far to the west. Don't forget that you will have to survive a few more winter to come. You are in a good defensive position at the Bug and as soon as the weather changes you can renew your offensive in the south.

Plaid

Post by Plaid » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:08 pm

No attacks in northern sector so far, looks like we established solid defences here.

In the south my corps left in Kiev ended destroyed. Other then this we retreat properly, maintaining ZoC system. I don't see a reason to stop here, only few rows of hexes and we will be simple out of SW zone. My oil level is above 700, so free to maneuver without second thought.

Soon enough we will be able to strike back and retake land in USSR (or destroy lots of soviet units).

Also US navy units spotted. 3 destroyers right now, without any ASW upgrade (still have basic 5). Looks like waste of PP to me, they will be extremely uneffective vs my subs (5 level sub tech now).

Plaid

Post by Plaid » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:03 pm

During last two turns situation becomes dangerous in Finland. Looks like Morris is tired of chasing my retreating troops and decided to conquer this minor country instead.

I have serious trouble with moving finnish troops, as they are very slow with 3 supply + severe winter.

Because of this I got corps destroyed, another one trapped, and soon will lose more.

By the way what are conditions of Finland becoming neutral? Don't want to give Morris bonus PP income for free.

Sector between Tallinn and Minsk is totally quiet - looks like Morris getting really bad odds here, so he don't attack.

In the south retreat continues, soon we plan to stop and place our defences.

Red line marks new frontline, I wish to form and hold. This area will be manned with mostly auxilary troops, thanks to good deffencive terrain. I plan to be totally defencive here, and replace some german armour/mech (currently present) with regular corps units. Need offencive punch with best forces somewhere else

Information about allied navy movement, provided by subs during recent turns indicates, that allies have no intentions to launch any campaign in MED (by the way my italian navy patrool all the MED freely, it is empty). Some troops from Sicily were redeployed for now.

Diplomaticus
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by Diplomaticus » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:41 pm

Brace yourself for the loss of Finland.

112. Finland Armistice
Added code so Finland will sign an armistice with USSR if 2+ cities in Finland / Estonia and <6 Axis units are present in Finland.
When the armistice is signed then Finland turns to neutrality and all Finnish units as removed.
All Axis and Soviet units in Finland are moved to their respective force pool.
Finland will surrender normally if Helsinki is captured. So Russia should avoid taking too many cities or kill too many units if they intend to take Helsinki so they can use the Finnish ports.
The armistice basically removes Finland from the active playing area. Finland is neutral with no units and can't be DoW'ed. That is a good way for Russia to disengage from Finland and relocate their units to the main front.

I guess this is the downside of establishing such a strong defensive situation on the rest of the front.

I would guess that Moriss will want to conquer Finland outright--he'll get the PP's plus a very nice base of operations to harass your flank, do strategic bombing, etc.

Plaid

Post by Plaid » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:52 pm

Well, looks like it is no way to stop USSR from conquering Finland, if they are dedicated to do it.

In my game vs Zechi he sent there all his german para and some infantry and provided massive air support, and still all this units were dispatched with minimal losses.

Thanks for information any way.

Plaid

Post by Plaid » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:06 pm

Nothing of interest happens so far, other then soviets finally siezed cities like Minsk and Odessa.

Plaid

Post by Plaid » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:11 pm

Weather is still severe winter, but red army is passive.

More and more best german units gather in Kaunas area by the way. We have Guderian here, so troops get really high effectiveness and ready to go offencive once SW ends.

In the south soveits slowly approach to Vinnitsa, but don't attack actual axis defences.

In the west little RN activity - we trapped BB by the way. Will attack it next turn - maybe it will keep shore bombarding and get lower effectiveness.

Some reserve troops from here and there arrive to France by the way, as it is possible place of '42 west campaign.

No sign of allied activity in MED (I patrol it with Italians)

Cybvep

Post by Cybvep » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:33 pm

Wait, wait, wait... Are you sure you are playing with Morris? I mean, look at the Eastern Front. It's severe winter and the Red Army is passive O________O Did he learn new tricks after his game with supermax?

Plaid

Post by Plaid » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:15 pm

Probalby he simple have odds like 2:6 vs white effectiveness wehrmacht and don't have airpower to soften targets up.|
As I got it from his message, he planned to attack southern wing, but we spent all the winter retreating in good order with proper zone of control, so Morris was not able to reach our line at all.
I am not sure, but didn't lost any unit during SW (other then forlorn hope left in cities)

supermax

Post by supermax » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:40 pm

Plaid wrote:Probalby he simple have odds like 2:6 vs white effectiveness wehrmacht and don't have airpower to soften targets up.|
As I got it from his message, he planned to attack southern wing, but we spent all the winter retreating in good order with proper zone of control, so Morris was not able to reach our line at all.
I am not sure, but didn't lost any unit during SW (other then forlorn hope left in cities)
Well from the look of things the Moriss magic is now over.

It just needed simple good sense and not too much offensive.

I wonder whats best. What i did (not giving one inch of ground and inflicting casualities and taking some) or do like you do Plaid.

It amounts to making sure the russians will be super strong in 1942. At least i was able to destroy say 10 INF corps, 3-4 mechs and 3 ARM, not counting the losss in air steps.

We will see how you fare in 1942. One thing is sure you havent lost much.

I am also surprised that Moriss didnt land in France... This means a huge landing in 1942. Be careful. What are your preperations for this?

Plaid

Post by Plaid » Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:32 am

Actually I am unsure, if any landing in France will happen. It is already april and no sign of allied invasion fleet.
Do Morris wait until my guys complete more forts in summer?

supermax

Post by supermax » Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:42 am

Plaid wrote:Actually I am unsure, if any landing in France will happen. It is already april and no sign of allied invasion fleet.
Do Morris wait until my guys complete more forts in summer?
He will, but he finaly seems to be playing differently now... His he becoming cautious?

Not good for him considering his execution skills.

I cant wait to see what he is going to do

Return to “Commander Europe at War : AAR's”