Metolius (Axis) vs Morris (Allies) (Morris Welcome!)

After action reports for Commander Europe at War.

Moderators: Happycat, rkr1958, Slitherine Core

metolius
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Re: Metolius (Axis) vs Morris (Allies) (Morris Welcome!)

Post by metolius » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:39 pm

13-March-1945

The noose tightens. The Allies have now brought the full weight of the air units to bear, and the Luftwaffe is all but destroyed. The Russians have been dropping paratroops all over Denmark, disrupting our rear area. The front line is very tenacious, but with the loss of air superiority, and the onset of warmer weather, the situation is very tough. 4 turns to go.

2-April-1945

The Hamburg corps elects to break out of the encirclement in a northerly direction so that a fresh reserve corps can be added to Hamburg, since no other location is available. It is a hard call, as the new corps will be at only 3 supply and without a general, so it will probably get hammered. 2 turns to go.

In retrospect, I should have left the Hamburg corps in Hamburg and hoped for the best, but it probably wouldn't have mattered. :-)

The End
Shortly after I sent over this turn, I received the following news from Morris:

and also:

and finally:

So, the war is over!! Thank you, Morris, for a very challenging round. As they say, I did get close... but no cigar.

Actually, I sort of pleased that I managed to hold you off as long as I did, given the way that things panned out in France and GB early in the war. That was definitely experimental. Of course, you opted for a Peninsular campaign, which was experimental, too, I think, and took longer than I think you were expecting.

Any big (or small) surprises on your end?

jjdenver
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by jjdenver » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:14 pm

How did Gib fall in this AAR? Which version of the game are you using? 2.0?

Morris
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Morris » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:42 am

It was really the longest pbem which I had ever experienced . In some period of 1942 , I thought Axis should surrender . but Metolius did not . Since there were so many patches launched during this pbem . So the game rule had almost been quite different from the very beginning . Especiallty the No allies troops in Russia rule ! so after that the Russian have to move forward without Allies air support especially the allies FTR's support .& meantime the USSR's Ftr level was very low . They have to invest to air from 1942's summer . It was a disaster ! When the USSR's Ftr's lvl was ready , it was almost 1945.

Also , I made a test to attack Spain . It also gave me a lesson that ,it would be very hard to attack Spain if Allies or Axis helps to defence . The Madrid's terrain is great to defense !

Anyway , thanks Metolius untiring effort to finish this pbem by such an amazing way ! Metolius almost accomplish the impossible mission ! His performance is great ! It is my pleasure to play with such a soldier ! :D

SSupras
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by SSupras » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:29 pm

This was the craziest game I've ever seen :D

Congratulations, Metolius, for holding so long.

And congratulations, Morris, for your Red Army advance. After that, I thought that you will win in 1943.

metolius

Post by metolius » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:28 pm

Morris wrote:It was really the longest pbem which I had ever experienced . In some period of 1942 , I thought Axis should surrender . but Metolius did not . Since there were so many patches launched during this pbem . So the game rule had almost been quite different from the very beginning . Especiallty the No allies troops in Russia rule ! so after that the Russian have to move forward without Allies air support especially the allies FTR's support .& meantime the USSR's Ftr level was very low . They have to invest to air from 1942's summer . It was a disaster ! When the USSR's Ftr's lvl was ready , it was almost 1945.

Also , I made a test to attack Spain . It also gave me a lesson that ,it would be very hard to attack Spain if Allies or Axis helps to defence . The Madrid's terrain is great to defense !

Anyway , thanks Metolius untiring effort to finish this pbem by such an amazing way ! Metolius almost accomplish the impossible mission ! His performance is great ! It is my pleasure to play with such a soldier ! :D
Thanks Morris! I have to admit that after you hammered your way into Hungary, I thought things could dissolve pretty quickly. Only the lack of Soviet air support, as you have pointed out, saved the Axis. Thank you for sticking with the game, throughout the numerous changes, and a few long pauses! I look forward to meeting on the battlefield again.

Morris
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Morris » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:14 am

metolius wrote:
Morris wrote:It was really the longest pbem which I had ever experienced . In some period of 1942 , I thought Axis should surrender . but Metolius did not . Since there were so many patches launched during this pbem . So the game rule had almost been quite different from the very beginning . Especiallty the No allies troops in Russia rule ! so after that the Russian have to move forward without Allies air support especially the allies FTR's support .& meantime the USSR's Ftr level was very low . They have to invest to air from 1942's summer . It was a disaster ! When the USSR's Ftr's lvl was ready , it was almost 1945.

Thanks Morris! I have to admit that after you hammered your way into Hungary, I thought things could dissolve pretty quickly. Only the lack of Soviet air support, as you have pointed out, saved the Axis. Thank you for sticking with the game, throughout the numerous changes, and a few long pauses! I look forward to meeting on the battlefield again.
See you in next pbem ! :)

Return to “Commander Europe at War : AAR's”