Morris reply regarding to last AAR 2

After action reports for Commander Europe at War.

Moderators: Happycat, rkr1958, Slitherine Core

Morris
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Morris reply regarding to last AAR 2

Post by Morris » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:42 am

When I log in the forum this morning , I am shocked & hurt by the storm from Borger & Max which I did respect !
I still recembered ,when the BEF strategy discovered by the team & caused some changes . I was sad & sorry for that ,& asked Borger whether I did something wrong , but He replied me to encourage me to continue . There was one sentence I remembered from him “ Kudo to Morris “ ,actually I did not know what is “Kudo “ mean . After I checked it out from dictionary ,I knew it is a kind of praise . I was so happy to that .After that we had discovered & reported more than 10 bugs & caused more than 100 changes for the Armor bloc , mech bloc ,allies in Russia ,etc (I thought it is useful for the game ,but maybe I am wrong ) . He had asked me to just speak out the weakness instead of play it through , but I wonder if I just told him that without any fact prove , would he & team believe me ? I still recembered at the beginning period of the BEF in France problem , there were some players whose English were much better mine reported the problem & it was rejected & ignored ,until more & more reports coming ,The team started to pay more attention to it until finally the patch came out .
Finally I found it is a good way to explain which I feel difficult to explain by an AAR .That’s why I keep pushing Max to continue the AAR .

Regarding to the trick & exploit , I believe they are both important in a game & even a real war .There is a words by Sun Tzu that War is the way of trick ! I can play in normal way or entertainment way , but to be a beta tester ,I thought to exploit the weakness of game was my responsibility . We should try all kinds of extrem way which works well in the present game engine to test the engine , There are two way to solove the problem : upgrade the engine or fix the weakness . What I have done are all for these . Am I wrong ?

Regarding to the AAR with Max , I think we are confused in a kind of misunderstanding from the East – West literature difference . Maybe We need more communication in the future is possible .

Sometimes I felt your words was full of upset & even hate ,. Am I worth for that ? As Max said : it is only a game !

Samhain
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Samhain » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:24 pm

I agree.

rkr1958
General - Elite King Tiger

Post by rkr1958 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:34 pm

Morris,

You are a very valuable beta tester. I am impressed by your ability and the depth to which you go to analyze a game. You definitely have a talent for playing the game is ways we haven't expected and helping us find flaws and bugs with that. Thanks for your help.

In regards to Max, your last AAR with him and any potential rematch I say let's just all move from that and continue to play the game. Let's have some fun. :D

For everyone of this forum:

1. Anyone for any reason, which they are under no obligation to state, may accept or decline an offer of a game from any player.

2. Personal attacks are not allowed! This includes attacking someone because of their playing style or strategy. You may criticize, and post on the forum, such play from the perspective of game balance or the historical record. But, you are NOT allowed to post negative comments on the person.

3. Positive comments and praise on a player's ability are always welcomed. :D

KingHunter3059
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by KingHunter3059 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:46 pm

Morris,

We have played 2 games, and I want to say that your play was Brilliant! I learned an awful lot from your strategy and Tactics, they have improved my game a lot. So I thank you for your continued support of this great game and excellent Mod! I don't think anyone 'Hates' you, per se, but I think your style of play may have confused and frustrated opponents. But keep up the good work in the BETA testing, and perhaps I shall ask you for another 'lesson' when the official 2.1 is released! :)

Jay

Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by Peter Stauffenberg » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:13 pm

What frustrates people is not that he finds the exploits, but rather that he doesn't tell us about them so we can fix them.

It's frustrating being a developer and get feedback from players to improve the game only to start from scratch again because someone knew about exploits and didn't tell us about them when we were trying to improve the game.

If you look at GS v2.0 after it was released in June you will see a lot of fixes (now it's GS v2.01.35). That creates a lot of extra work for the beta testers because we get bugfixes, balance issue fixes and historical issue fixes release every week. So you don't get a stable version you can play with and learn a lot from. We get to maybe 1942 and find weaknesses meaning that we have to start all over again because the needed changes require that we tweak values set at the first turn.

So it's good for GS that Morris has found the exploits. All I wish is that he can make a list of possible exploits he still feels exist instead of telling us to play him to find out the hard way. Christmas is coming up fast and I want GS v2.1 out to the public before Christmas. On the other hand I don't want to work heavily with beta testing for GS v2.2 because GS v2.1 wasn't balanced either. The public deserves a pretty well balanced game and now it's the time to fix the imbalances we still have.

So the best way Morris can help us now is to just try to explain the remaining imbalances (for both sides) he feels is in GS v2.01.35. Then we can have a discussion about these views and if we don't believe him (not likely after what he has shown so far) then he can just show us in a beta game.

I know that Morris is not writing in his native tongue, but I know he's skilled enough with English to get his main ideas through to us. If we're supposed to make the Christmas deadline we need to freeze the code no longer than about 2-3 weeks from now. So we don't have time to learn the hard way about exploits.

Morris is a master in analyzing the game possibilities and finding the optimal way to use the rules to get an advantage. So I'm pretty sure he can give us his analysis of GS v2.01.35 and tell where the remaining weaknesses are and what to do to fix them. I trust his views enough to fix what can be fixed and have it out to you within a few days.

You would help us a lot, Morris, if you just post a message with imbalances for both the Axis and Allies and your suggestion to fix them. Where are the remaining exploits? You can just explain them to us and we will believe you. :)

metolius
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by metolius » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:22 am

Well, I tried to organize a 'we love Morris' day, but apparently the censors have no sense of humor. Anyway, it's been fun playing against you, Morris, even if you do crazy things. So there! :-)

rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:25 am

Factory Redistribution posts split off and moved into the beta section. With theses posts moved this thread has served its purpose so I'm locking it.

Return to “Commander Europe at War : AAR's”