Can we save the Bear, Richardsd vs Morris (no Morris please)

After action reports for Commander Europe at War.

Moderators: rkr1958, Happycat, Slitherine Core

Cybvep
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Posts: 1259
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:38 pm

Re: Can we save the Bear, Richardsd vs Morris (no Morris ple

Post by Cybvep » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:52 pm

I think that Morris will now be busy with finding new uber-strategies, as this one clearly no longer works that well against the players that know how to exploit Morris' aggressiveness ;).

richardsd
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Posts: 1127
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:30 am

Re: Can we save the Bear, Richardsd vs Morris (no Morris ple

Post by richardsd » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:18 pm

so just after shots this turn as we exploit holes accross the entire map :D

surely this would end in a strategic victory?

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Schnurri
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Posts: 398
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:39 pm

Re: Can we save the Bear, Richardsd vs Morris (no Morris ple

Post by Schnurri » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:41 pm

Yikes - looks very bleak for the Axis. My guess is when you arrive in Poland, Czechoslovakia, etc. there will be a double defensive line in the mountainous terraine. But with the Allies pressing in the west it may not matter.

I've been experimenting with the Morris Russia first strategy and it's real weakness is lack of subs and the buildup of the super western Allies. In my game with Kragdob I took Stalingrad in 41 and probably would have take Leningrad in 42 but a "Sledgehammer" in force with overwhelming air power from Britain forced me to redirect the Luftwaffe to France and now I'm being hammered from both sides. I was also somewhat unlucky in this game - early on I moved a sub which landed right in the middle of a convoy and was destroyed during the Allied turn - tough to do much damage with only 2 subs.

richardsd
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Posts: 1127
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:30 am

Re: Can we save the Bear, Richardsd vs Morris (no Morris ple

Post by richardsd » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:00 pm

total victory is approaching

here is the Morris fight back in Europe

Image

looks ok, but really is all soft and squishy :)

Image

elswhere its mopping up

Image

Image

Image

richardsd
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Posts: 1127
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:30 am

Re: Can we save the Bear, Richardsd vs Morris (no Morris ple

Post by richardsd » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:09 pm

Schnurri wrote:Yikes - looks very bleak for the Axis. My guess is when you arrive in Poland, Czechoslovakia, etc. there will be a double defensive line in the mountainous terraine. But with the Allies pressing in the west it may not matter.

I've been experimenting with the Morris Russia first strategy and it's real weakness is lack of subs and the buildup of the super western Allies. In my game with Kragdob I took Stalingrad in 41 and probably would have take Leningrad in 42 but a "Sledgehammer" in force with overwhelming air power from Britain forced me to redirect the Luftwaffe to France and now I'm being hammered from both sides. I was also somewhat unlucky in this game - early on I moved a sub which landed right in the middle of a convoy and was destroyed during the Allied turn - tough to do much damage with only 2 subs.
yes, I have meet the Morris Homeland defense before, but this time the west will be too much, I have enough spare units that I can muck around in Africa - an unintended bonus with Spain is that the US has loads more PP's than usual! and its nice that the Army can sail without interuption :)

Cybvep
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Posts: 1259
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:38 pm

Re: Can we save the Bear, Richardsd vs Morris (no Morris ple

Post by Cybvep » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:16 pm

I cannot believe that Morris simply waited to get destroyed in the East. He should have retreated, sacrificing some units in order to allow the rest of them to escape. The Axis must be careful about excessive losses, as they don't have too much resources.

richardsd
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Posts: 1127
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:30 am

Re: Can we save the Bear, Richardsd vs Morris (no Morris ple

Post by richardsd » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:23 pm

Cybvep wrote:I cannot believe that Morris simply waited to get destroyed in the East. He should have retreated, sacrificing some units in order to allow the rest of them to escape. The Axis must be careful about excessive losses, as they don't have too much resources.
Morris said he couldn't get away - but its also a little of how he plays, 'throw away' units while he builds a defense line for the homeland, maybe it does actually buy a few turns

richardsd
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Posts: 1127
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:30 am

Re: Can we save the Bear, Richardsd vs Morris (no Morris ple

Post by richardsd » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:32 am

the Bear is saved :D

Axis surrenders unconditionally - actually a few turns ago but I wanted to get a fair weather turn in Russia!

here are some afters

Image

Image

Image

and the horrendous casualty levels for early summer of 43!

Image

I have to say that its pretty scary facing the initial onslaught and I definately think there is a variation in there that will work pretty well for the Axis

Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier
Posts: 4710
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:13 pm
Location: Oslo, Norway

Re: Can we save the Bear, Richardsd vs Morris (no Morris ple

Post by Peter Stauffenberg » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:57 am

It looks to me that the reason for the collapse in the east was that Morris lost control of the rear areas. It's a MAJOR blunder to not garrison captured cities in Russia. The partisan spawn rate in unoccupied cities are resources is much higher. If partisans appear in cities then they get supply level 3 and can be repaired. They can link up with other partisans and cut Axis units off.

I don't think there is a big problem with Morris'es strategy, but the implementation of the strategy could be improved quite a bit.

I would have been much more scared seeing a concentrated armor force rushing eastwards if e. g. Joerock or Supermax had been the Axis player.

I've seen many games where the Axis get very good results in Russia in 1941 so they are definitely potent. If the Axis player is careful I'm sure they can do well in 1942 too.

richardsd
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Posts: 1127
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:30 am

Re: Can we save the Bear, Richardsd vs Morris (no Morris ple

Post by richardsd » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:04 am

Stauffenberg wrote:It looks to me that the reason for the collapse in the east was that Morris lost control of the rear areas. It's a MAJOR blunder to not garrison captured cities in Russia. The partisan spawn rate in unoccupied cities are resources is much higher. If partisans appear in cities then they get supply level 3 and can be repaired. They can link up with other partisans and cut Axis units off.

I don't think there is a big problem with Morris'es strategy, but the implementation of the strategy could be improved quite a bit.

I would have been much more scared seeing a concentrated armor force rushing eastwards if e. g. Joerock or Supermax had been the Axis player.

I've seen many games where the Axis get very good results in Russia in 1941 so they are definitely potent. If the Axis player is careful I'm sure they can do well in 1942 too.
I think that a key part of facing it is not to get taken in by the 'shock' factor, plus it also helps to know a little of whats coming.

One thing that I think does make a difference, is not getting Moscow under pressure from 2 sides, its very hard to take Moscow if you have to do a lot of it frontally

Morris
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I
Posts: 2276
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:00 am

Re: Can we save the Bear, Richardsd vs Morris (no Morris ple

Post by Morris » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:39 pm

At first , congratulations to Duncan's victory of his effective "string strategy " !

At second I conclude several point of my failure in this game :

1 Caucasus landing is a failure & waste PP & manpower . If we put 4 more Infs in the north . We will achieve more .
2 offence in Caucasus in 1942 is wrong . just as in the history , Axis only have enough strengh to make a part offence ( only one front line ,not two or more )in 1942
3 Allies's good performance in the west . I also made a careless mistake causing Spain's lost . Actually , Spain is easy to defence .
4 the 8 Gars on Aug 1st 1941 was fatal to Axis's progress . How about delay it for one or two more turns ( of course in 2.2)?
5 As an Axis player , no big mistakes allowed .You can't afford any of them .

I will try to fix my mistake in the AARs with Plaid & Diplomatus & Doug . The one with Joe is quite different . It already Aug 1943 now .

After all of these , I will play allies for relax . :)

Post Reply

Return to “Commander Europe at War : AAR's”