Kragdob educates Gog on 2.2.

After action reports for Commander Europe at War.

Moderators: rkr1958, Happycat, Slitherine Core

Morris
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Re: Kragdob educates Gog on 2.2.

Post by Morris »

GogTheMild wrote:We are into July 1941 and it is an eventful turn:

And one of Kragdob’s DDs finally takes steps off a sub. He accidentally overran it. Perhaps he will post a screenshot of his maritime triumph? :D

I suspect that with Spain joining the Axis naval activities in the Atlantic will now become a lot busier.
Do you mean that before this turn , your sub have never been attacked or sucessful attacked by Allies's DD ? :o
GogTheMild
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by GogTheMild »

Morris wrote:Do you mean that before this turn , your sub have never been attacked or sucessful attacked by Allies's DD ? :o
Correct :) . Nor by anything else that I can recall.
We sleep peaceably in our beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on our behalf.
Morris
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Morris »

GogTheMild wrote:
Morris wrote:Do you mean that before this turn , your sub have never been attacked or sucessful attacked by Allies's DD ? :o
Correct :) . Nor by anything else that I can recall.
It is really a big challenge for Allies's navy !No 1942 Normandy any more !This comes more reasonable ! :)
GogTheMild

Post by GogTheMild »

Obviously it depends on what each player invests in, but I think that for the Allies to manage a 1942 Overlord which sticks, the Axis player will have to virtually hold the door open for them.
We sleep peaceably in our beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on our behalf.
GogTheMild

Post by GogTheMild »

mamahuhu
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by mamahuhu »

sorry,I have a question.

In this picture,the initiator is Persia,
why hoisted the Turkish flag?
Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by Peter Stauffenberg »

Good catch. Bug fixed.
Morris
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Morris »

Stauffenberg wrote:Good catch. Bug fixed.
Is the 3.0 will be launched after this AAR finish ? :(
richardsd
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by richardsd »

Morris wrote:
as I understand it 3.0 is finished, its just waiting for Slitherine - who are a bit busy :lol:
Morris
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Morris »

richardsd wrote:
Morris wrote:
as I understand it 3.0 is finished, its just waiting for Slitherine - who are a bit busy :lol:
Slitherine seems usually busy on the project which will make more money such as Panzer corps :( But to make this game more perfect is not an important mission for Slitherine .
Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

It's important for Slitherine to keep the interest going on CeaW. Having updated expansions like GS will do just that. However, it's also important to ensure new games get out to the public so they can make money on the projects they have invested in.

Getting GS v3.0 out early will be at the expense of other projects that will generate revenue for Slitherine. So I have no problem accepting that we have to wait.
Morris
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Morris »

yes , I can accept to wait . You are quite right sir ! But as a GS fan , I can't wait ! :) We do hope Slitherine has the budgt for 3.0 before autumn !
GogTheMild

Post by GogTheMild »

We left the Axis forces with a bridgehead around Tunis, and 2,000km away from Casablanca.

October 1940: we expand the beachhead and spot a GAR blocking our way:

It is soon tidied up, only to reveal another:

Which receives the same treatment:

Algiers was captured on the run:

We can now rail in more ground units, but instead the air support closes up and Manstein screams “Fahrkarte bis zur Endstation” as the panzers roar past. My ARM probes Oran whilst the MECH upgrades:

Then a combined attack takes out both GARs:

Oops. We take Oujda and Kragdob strikes back. Hard.

There seems to be something wrong with my damn ARMs in this game. Initially I thought that I had been sloppy: I could have moved the MECH up first; I had not moved up FTR cover to save oil. But now I think that it was almost inevitable that a good player like Kragdob would get in at least one stinging counter attack. Also, I was perhaps a bit unlucky: if the ARM had not retreated, Kragdob would not have been able to finish it off with a second round of air strikes. I had to keep pushing hard – I had a deadline. Plus, every turn I delayed was another turn for Kragdob to get reinforcements in. Even with hindsight I think that I was correct to maintain forward momentum and take what came.

I take out the UK MECH and rail in reinforcements:

Kragdob’s ARM very sensibly runs away and we pursue:

Kragdob is back to relying on GARs to slow me down. Or, as I think of it, the chocolate teapot defence.

We pause briefly:

Then smash through:

Taking Casablanca in July 1941 and bringing Spain into the war:

Gibraltar is next on the list:

Which falls in late September:

The same time as Agadir;

I think that went rather well. I am unhappy to have lost the ARM, but I guess that it is the cost of doing business and, overall, more than worth what I gained. I cannot help but feel that Kragdob needed to have committed either more or less units. As it is he took significant losses, including three MECHs and not even considering his naval losses in running his units south, without seriously slowing me down. There wasn’t the remotest danger of Casablanca holding until the US came in. Also I didn’t understand at the time, and still don’t, his stringing GARs along my route for me to pick off. Perhaps he wanted to increase my units experience levels? Pulled together, with his 3 MECHs and the ARM, he may have stopped me. As it was I defeated him in detail.
richardsd

Post by richardsd »

a casualty chart woul dbe most helpful
Morris
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Morris »

actually the lvl 3-4 panzer is very weak whenever it is attacked by arm after be air bombed . In France , we usually destroy panzer by 3 French corp or 2 French mech .
But it is 1941 now , Axis can afford the loss of a panzer & in return ,you accompilsh your Spain mission ! & Giberoto ! It is a good business ! To fight with a great player like Kragdob ,it is acceptable to lose a panzer especially when he concentrates his air power & mainbody of the 8th army with leaders to ambush you ! :)

next is Lisbon ? Do you have chance to take Irac before USA join ?
GogTheMild

Post by GogTheMild »

Casualties as at 20 October 1941. Ie at the end of turn 39.

Morris wrote:Axis can afford the loss of a panzer & in return ,you accompilsh your Spain mission ! & Giberoto ! It is a good business ! To fight with a great player like Kragdob ,it is acceptable to lose a panzer especially when he concentrates his air power & mainbody of the 8th army with leaders to ambush you ! :)
I agree. I am only unhappy about how good a player Kragdob is. I am quite sure that he is deliberately restricting how much he commits, all the better to hammer me later.
Morris wrote:Next is Lisbon ? Do you have chance to take Irac before USA join ?
I have just opened turn 40 and am thinking hard about Portugal. Iraq: I have Baghdad and both oil wells and two units adjacent to Basra. But the map changes make Basra more difficult to attack and Kragdob seems to be taking this one seriously: I have counted 3 BBs, a carrier, 2 FTRs, a TAC, a MECH well dug into Basra and 2 INF and an ARM in reserve - sitting safely in Persia. So I am hopeful, but far from certain.
Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

I think it's risky for Kragdob to keep his navy in the Persian Gulf. When Basra falls the control of the transport loops transfers to the Axis.

If he places his units in Persia you can still bombard and attack them from Iraq. You just have to avoid moving into Persia to prevent USSR form activating.

So sending a healthy Luftwaffe to Iraq can be a good idea. Then you can quickly grab the oilfields in Persia once you want to DoW USSR
GogTheMild

Post by GogTheMild »

I have just looked outside: there is reindeer poop all over the roof and a fat man stuck in the chimney. Yes, Kragdob has actually made a mistake! :D

No fancy announcement :( . Maybe it was assumed that it would never be needed 8) . And there was a carrier in port:

Kragdob now has 3 BBs trapped in the Persian Gulf :shock: .

Does it make me a bad person that I feel so smug? Yes, I suppose that it does.

The bad news is that there are a lot of Brits in Persia, so I don't foresee a quick conquest when I DoW Russia.

I will post an account of the campaign soon.
Cybvep
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by Cybvep »

What was in port? This looks like a costly mistake. Maybe Kragdob expects that he will be able to reconquer Basra soon. You should bring TACs and SUBs to the area :). How many BBs does the UK have?
GogTheMild

Post by GogTheMild »

It was a carrier. I think that Kragdob thought that he was safe. Maybe he will counter attack, he has the forces. But I assume that his supply has just dropped from 5 to 3 which isn't going to help.

BB's: I don't remember him losing any and he has picked up 1 FF one. I have 5 TACs in range, but he has (at least) 2 FTRs. I could burn a lot of oil. A couple of Subs looks the way to go. And we can see how the new rules effect sub v BB combat.

Return to “Commander Europe at War : AAR's”