Carthaginians made of cheese?

PC/Mac : Digital version of the popular tabletop gaming system. Fight battles on your desktop in single and mutiplayer!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, FoG PC Moderator, NewRoSoft

76mm
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Carthaginians made of cheese?

Post by 76mm » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:44 pm

OK, I give up...I've played several battles (Starter Battle 1, Metaurus, Trebia) as Carthaginians against Romans and rarely win any, even against the AI...

What am I doing wrong? I think I more or less know how to use my light troops, but often there isn't enough room on the map to get them around a flank, and at the end of the day you have to close with the enemy, and then it's just ugly...most of my units lose 12%-15% on impact, and it goes downhill from there.

Would appreciate any tips from you Hannibals out there, or play me a game and let me see what you're doing!

deeter
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Post by deeter » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:18 pm

The problem with SA1 is too many Roman cav. I've solved that by using the medium foot like cav to attack both flanks and holding back the spears in the center. Once you take out the flanks, it's rear attack time on the Roman infantry.

Metaurus is winnable if you hold the river with these brown troops while pushing hard on your right. The Guals on the left can either hold the ridge easily or go over to the attack if the Romans aren't strong there. It will be tough to win though unless you're lucky.

Trebia is winnable mainly because the Romans have all those poor allies. Even LH can charge and route them easily. Take them out and the Romans are nearly done.

I think you'll enjoy the addon. There, Rome is really limited for cav and Carthage can upgrade their infantry to drilled and African spears to armored, superior. Great fun building Punic armies.

Deeter

arsan
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by arsan » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:45 pm

Starter battle 1 it's pretty difficult to win against a human. Against the Ai i'ts certainly winnable just by turning their flanks with cavalry.
But African infantry is pretty puny. Don't hope to hold the line against legions more than 1 or 2 turns. At Protected and average quality they are routinely massacred by legionaries who, beside being impact and having better armor, are usually rated at superior or higher on this scenario (and many other).
Quite an overstatement IMHO.
Gauls and Iberians usually have a better chance against legions than African spearmen, even being just medium infantry.
Besides, as deeter says, Romans have too much cavalry and most of the Carthaginian cav is just light cavalry
Cheers

76mm
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by 76mm » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:06 am

thanks for the tips. actually trebia is kind of fun, as long as you don't try to use your main body for anything...

Also, I don't really understand how to use light horse--other than chucking javelins/shooting arrows, they seem rather useless, even for charging into the rear of infantry formations, which would seem a natural use. Many times they don't even do well charging archers, etc.

keyth
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by keyth » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:39 am

Carthaginian infantry in particular seems pathetic... it doesn't feel like the nation that challenged Rome for supremacy in the Mediterranean. It could be caused by Romans being up-gunned in some scenarios.

lpgamble

Post by lpgamble » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:55 pm

76mm try some of these LH uses:
1) plop them in front of Cav that will Auto Charge to break up the line
2) Put them in places where when a unit must contact them it pulls them away from friends
3) run them behind enemy lines and when the unit Frag's hit them in the back
4) Have fun chasing and catching LF
5) When the main lines get close run them through a gap to get behind your own lines and then send them to the flanks
6) Attach to routers to make sure they wont come back into the frey.

ianiow
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by ianiow » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:41 pm

Most of these uses can be performed by LF at a fraction of the cost and with no chance of evade through friends and disordering them.

Return to “Field of Glory Digital”