DAG armies in scenario editing

PC/Mac : Digital version of the popular tabletop gaming system. Fight battles on your desktop in single and mutiplayer!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, FoG PC Moderator, NewRoSoft

Lysimachos
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

DAG armies in scenario editing

Post by Lysimachos » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:30 pm

When using the editor I'm not able to find, for example, the Attalid and Early Armenian units, wich are in the DAG system, while there are Arabs and Persians.
It seems quite odd.
Does anyone has an answer for it?
Isn't it possible to use the DAG armies in building a scenario? :cry:

If so, is there a possibility that in the future this will be allowed?
This would greatly simplify the work of scenario designer. :D

jamespcrowley
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by jamespcrowley » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:59 pm

Indeed, not all of the new armies and BGs are available, as you would expect them to be.

Also, in randomly flicking through, there seems to be quite a lot of mistakes, typically MF labelled as HV, bow-armed BGs shown with spears etc.

keithmartinsmith
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by keithmartinsmith » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:21 am

Every single image used in the DAG is available from the scenario builder, none have been missed out and they both use the same image libraries. The Armenian Cataphracts are filed under Parthian in the Scenario Editor. There we have used folder names more in line with the range names of the various models used from various figure suppliers.

If any Scenario Editor unit values are wrong please report them as we dop our best to update all such errors between updates. There are now over 1,000 different lines of unit data between the DAG and scenario editor so no matter how much we check there are bound to be a few errors.

Keith

jamespcrowley

Post by jamespcrowley » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:30 pm

Keith

I previously asked if it was possible to construct two armies in DAG and match them together. The answer was no but you can use the scenario editor. Fair enough.

However, if you want to construct, in particular a Bosporan, Late Jewish,Early Armenian, Pontic, Later Ptolemaic, Attalid Pergamene, Illyrian or Phyricc army you are presented, as far as I can see, with a fairly monumental task.

You need to find the army list in DAG, somehow copy the details down and then hunt down each type of BG image through the entire list. Again, as far as I can see, you end up with all the units but with none of them bearing the name of the actual army that you have created, so you would have to edit pretty much every unit. This seems a huge amount of work.

Would it really not have been better to have the image catergories match the DAG catergories?

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:43 pm

That would have ended with lots of duplicated graphics as many armies share troop types.

I think the ideal is to be able to load a DAG army in to the scenario editor but thats not going to happen in the immediate future.

TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:47 pm

I think the best solution would be a copy and paste funtion for all the unit stats , name strength etc in the editor. Would save a lot of time and prevent carpal tunnel!

edited as IM already responded

Lysimachos

Post by Lysimachos » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:20 pm

Greymouser is right.
If there are no chances to load DAG armies in the scenario editor, then just allowing a copy and paste function would indeed greatly simplify the job.
Editing a single unit would just avoid redoing the same work 6-8 or 10 times!
It shouldn't be so difficult to realize at least this option., I suppose.

lpgamble
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by lpgamble » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:52 am

I am planning on loading up both sides with 1 unit of all the edited types I want, then adding a dummy unit say HF OffSpear or any random unit and adding it till I have the right number of units for one side. Then I am going to xml edit the file and delete all the dummy unit types. Then copy and paste the original unit types to get the proper number of units of each type on each side. Notepadxml works very well for this type of task. Then you can go in and move all the units to the spots you want them.

Return to “Field of Glory Digital”