Did They Ever Improve the AI?

PC/Mac : Digital version of the popular tabletop gaming system. Fight battles on your desktop in single and mutiplayer!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, FoG PC Moderator, NewRoSoft, Slitherine Core, NewRoSoft, FoG PC Moderator

keithmartinsmith
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by keithmartinsmith » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:46 am

The AI opponent haas been vastly improved as we add updates to the system. In the next update is a massive improvement in the AI deployment. Keith

Malty666
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Malty666 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:11 pm

I played quite a bit against the AI previously and, well you had to be really unlucky to lose a game against it.

With patch 1.2.8 the AI is better, seems to make less 'dumb' moves and adopts better stance. He is still far from good, but it is vastly improved. I have gone back to doing my 'army training' against the AI, where after creating a DAG list, I test it for balance against the AI. At least that way you can find any errors in your choices without embarrassing yourself in MP :lol:

There is still room for improvement (isn't there always?), but it is much better than before.

And (to second a previous post) Total War does have the dumbest AI of all :oops:

TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:52 pm

I would say the AI is very much improved, the cumulative effect of not charging w Fragged troops , chosing better combats to resolve ist etc makes it a lot more competative

DAGS will be much better once they tweek the AI deployment behavior

mceochaidh
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Playing against AI with different point levels

Post by mceochaidh » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:11 pm

How do you assign more points to AI? I do not see a screen that allows this. Also, since I added SOA, I cannot give the AI an advantage. It seems there was a screen to allow this. I am playing 1.2.8 and just downloaded SOA 1.2.5. Previously, I was able to give AI an advantage with ROR, using 1.2.8.

Thanks for any comments.

TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Re: Playing against AI with different point levels

Post by TheGrayMouser » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:25 pm

mceochaidh wrote:How do you assign more points to AI? I do not see a screen that allows this. Also, since I added SOA, I cannot give the AI an advantage. It seems there was a screen to allow this. I am playing 1.2.8 and just downloaded SOA 1.2.5. Previously, I was able to give AI an advantage with ROR, using 1.2.8.

Thanks for any comments.

You cant directly give the AI xtra AP"s, at least at this time... What you can do is say use a 800 ap army BUT only buy 400 ap's worth of troops, when you lead this army into a DAG battle vs the AI, it will purchase up to 800

I believe you can only set the AI advanatge in the fixed scenarios (not the dag whether vs human (obviously) or the AI)

grumblefish

Post by grumblefish » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:14 am

Any chance of implementing an option whereby the AI's turn might be skipped? I never want to see the other party's turn, especially not when it's just me vs the computer. I don't use replay turn in multiplayer, and I have now grown so accustomed to that way of playing that I can no longer watch the AI take its turn. This means I literally can't play FOG in single-player mode; I can't stand watching the AI move, it's unbearably dull and I know what's going to happen anyway.

gavril
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by gavril » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:57 pm

"You cant directly give the AI xtra AP"s, at least at this time... What you can do is say use a 800 ap army BUT only buy 400 ap's worth of troops, when you lead this army into a DAG battle vs the AI, it will purchase up to 800"

That doesn't seem to work when I try - the AI picks up that I've got say 21 units on the battlefield and matches my strength. Am I missing something I should be doing???

TIA for any advice!

J

TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:01 am

jaywoolrich wrote:"You cant directly give the AI xtra AP"s, at least at this time... What you can do is say use a 800 ap army BUT only buy 400 ap's worth of troops, when you lead this army into a DAG battle vs the AI, it will purchase up to 800"

That doesn't seem to work when I try - the AI picks up that I've got say 21 units on the battlefield and matches my strength. Am I missing something I should be doing???

TIA for any advice!

J

Are you sure you are upgaded to the latest patch?

I just tried it Mid Rep Rome army set at 800 ap, I only bought 500 worth

Loaded up vs ai and the AI has almost 80 bp's vs ny m0 or so... I would say it purchased up to 800 all right!

***Oh on a side note, Slitherine has appeared to tweak the ai deployment It deploys very linerearly now (instead of the 3 clusters) and is a huge improvment (at least in the few i loaded up to check out)

Thanks Slitherine!

gavril
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by gavril » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:09 am

Thanks for your reply - interesting! I've patched to 1.2.8, which I think is the latest one, and I've installed Rise of Rome. I did try again a couple of times after posting last night but still no luck - the AI seems to pick up on the actual (rather than stated) army strength, and behaves accordingly.....

TIA,
Jay.

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:41 am

You need to up date to 1.2.9 and then 1.3.0 using the in game updater.

gavril
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by gavril » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:53 pm

Thanks Iain. So far I can't see where the in-game updater is though - doesn't appear on any menus I can see. Apols. if I'm being thick about it!!!

TIA,
Jay.

TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:05 pm

jaywoolrich wrote:Thanks Iain. So far I can't see where the in-game updater is though - doesn't appear on any menus I can see. Apols. if I'm being thick about it!!!

TIA,
Jay.
Its on the main menu!

gavril
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by gavril » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:16 pm

Hey, I'm not THAT thick! :shock:

Main menu items when I run the game are - New Game/Load Game/Multiplayer/DaG/Help/Create Scenario/Edit Scenario/Preferences/Quit.

Thas' all!!!!!! No button/option to update or download patches.

J

Xiggy
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by Xiggy » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:23 pm

When you first double click on the game icon, there are 3 options. Play a game, check online manual and check for updates.

The AI is much better in immortal fire. The setup algorythm is much improved too.

gavril
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by gavril » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:50 pm

Hi Xiggy,

When I double click on the icon it just gives me Register (greyed out)/Cancel and Ok as options, plus some stuff on the left inc. a link to patch 1.2.8 (which I've already got). I don't have Immortal Fire btw, just Rise of Rome.

Cheers,
Jay.

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:53 pm

The updater is in v1.2.8 onwards. If you dont have v 1.2.8 you'll need that first.

gavril
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by gavril » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:23 pm

Thanks for all your help guys, all sorted and working now. FWIW I think the problem was that I needed to re-run patch 1.2.8 after installing Rise Of Rome...

Cheers,
Jay.

Igorputski
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Igorputski » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:37 am

My god patch 1.2.8 is 420mb + why so large? Did you just now add an AI? lol

batesmotel
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by batesmotel » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:25 pm

Igorputski wrote:My god patch 1.2.8 is 420mb + why so large? Did you just now add an AI? lol
1.2.8 is a cumulative patch with everything since 1.0 and hence the size.

Chris
....where life is beautiful all the time

gavril
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by gavril » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:58 pm

Thanks once again for all the help - great Forum and nice to see the game developers so involved. The work-around to allow the AI more units in a DAG game certainly makes a big difference - just played a large scale edge-of-the-seat battle pitting my Carthaginians against the AI's Spanish, a very narrow victory for my side. Great fun!!!

Return to “Field of Glory Digital”