A little n00b praise

PC/Mac : Digital version of the popular tabletop gaming system. Fight battles on your desktop in single and mutiplayer!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, FoG PC Moderator, NewRoSoft

CheerfullyInsane
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

A little n00b praise

Post by CheerfullyInsane » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:53 pm

I happen to be a firm believer in giving praise when it is due.......
And yes, I do realize that everyone in here already know the following, so just bear with me. :mrgreen:

I started wargaming back in the early 80's in the halcyon days of Avalon Hill, and as the boardgames slowly gave way to PC-gaming, I checked out every turn-based game that came out as a matter of course.
Without much luck; Too few titles since everybody seemed to jump on the RTS wagon.
(And whoever thought of putting the terms real-time and strategy into the same sentence ought to be publicly flogged :twisted: )
I'm really getting too old for that sort of click-fest.
The few turn-based titles that did come out nearly always favored playability over realism. Can't fault that decision since you'll obviously need sales, but I'm used to playing ASL for cryin' out loud! And that one comes with a rulebook you could use to fend off a puma-attack.
And even if the game-engine did cater to the realism-camp, the AI usually......well, sucked.

So aside from a few select titles, this was starting to feel like a drought-ridden march through a deserted landscape.
Then I stumble across FoG.....

"Hmmm.....Greco-Roman wrestling in chainmail?
Nah, not really my time-period. Come back when you've included the Crusades, then we'll talk......
Wait a mo'.....SoA? With an upcoming Crusader module??
Okay, let's try it out."

So I grabbed FoG and RoR (Just to get the DAG).....And OMG! :D
First of, for a turn-based, top-down game it looks way cool.
Second, reasonably simple rules that allow even someone like me who know sod-all about the period to figure out what is going on.
The DAG, allowing for quick battles whilst you fiddle with your army composition.
A developer team that is actually active on the boards.
And what's this......
A dedicated server.... For a turn-based game?!? :shock:

Okay, seriously.....I'm hooked!
This game might just manage to push Combat Mission off my most-played list, and that one has dominated for 6 years.
Give me a couple of weeks to get acquainted with the game, and multi-player is next.
Hell, I'm tempted to paint a starter-army, and go back to TT after a 20 year hiatus.

Outstanding work and kudos to everyone involved in the development.

Now all that is missing is the Wolves from the sea, so I can get Saxon shield-walls.....*drool*

CheerfullyInsane
"Carthago delenda est!"

gabeeg
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by gabeeg » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:03 am

I totally agree with you. I am (was) a WWII hex game junky and not really interested in "ancients"...at all. On the forums I frequent I was annoyed by all the FoG posts. Then I saw the announcement for SOA and that seemed mildly interesting so I decided to see what the hub-bub was all about...now I am hooked and love fighting with the Romans and Early Armenians, etc. (barely play SOA scenarios). I have even started reading about "ancient" warfare...Thanks Slitherine and HexWar for broadening my horizons.

deeter
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger

Post by deeter » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:05 am

Welcome to the obsession. Don't wait too long before jumping into multi-player. Many of us would be glad to mentor you through a few games.

Deeter

76mm
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by 76mm » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:22 am

Multiplayer is the way to go. I have not played against the AI in several months. Play a coule dozen games against the AI to learn the system, and then hit the MP boards! I am usually not a big PBEM fan, but this system is very well done and makes it very easy to play MP.

As to wanting to paint a TT army--put down the turpentine before someone gets hurt and spend the time playing MP games. That's what I would do anyway...

jamespcrowley

Post by jamespcrowley » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:31 pm

Welcome, CheerfullyInsane.

Your story sounds very much like mine and many other FoG players. I was a Combat Mission fan from the beginning, ten years ago , and to some extent still am. Started with FoG last November and have been playing little else since then.

MP is what really makes it. Apart from being ridiculously easy to do, having a live opponent just can't be bettered. Don't worry about skill levels; players come in all shapes and sizes and although I have lost more than I have won, the experience has always been great fun. Just don't expect all DaG battles to be equal; a lot depends on the subtle blend of armies chosen, map selected and positions set up in.

Hope to bump into you on the challenge board.

Return to “Field of Glory Digital”