Swords & Scimitars Beta Testers wanted!

PC/Mac : Digital version of the popular tabletop gaming system. Fight battles on your desktop in single and mutiplayer!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, NewRoSoft, FoG PC Moderator

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Swords & Scimitars Beta Testers wanted!

Post by IainMcNeil » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:49 am

Hi guys

if you want to sign up for the Swords & Scimitars beta test please follow this link.

http://slitherine.com/beta_test/sword&scimitars_pc

You can set up 2 copies if your game on the PC and save one for the live version and one for S&S. While running S&S you will not be able to play existing MP games on the live server as everything is routed through the test server.

The beta test should be starting next week.
Last edited by IainMcNeil on Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cothyso
NewRoSoft
NewRoSoft

Post by cothyso » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:36 am

as always, signed it up.

CheerfullyInsane
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by CheerfullyInsane » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:06 pm

Ian,

Might be a dumb question, but could you give us a few words on what exactly you expect from your beta-testers?
Number of hours expected, what kind of errors we'd be looking for, that sort of thing.
Also, is there some kind of minimum skill-level you're looking for?
My point being that someone like me is more liable to miss an error than say cothyso or pantherboy, simply because using BGs in a specific way might not have occured to me :wink:

Lars
I've got two words for ya: Math is hard.

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:18 pm

Good question. Number of hours is not really important. What we're looking for mainly is people to look through the lists for errors and check the new features for any issues. If you can spend 2 hours looking at it great. If you can spend 2 hours a night looking at it even better. Probably the most efficient way is to spend a few hours with each version released and report fixes that failed, new bugs or just to say "All looks good".

The important thing is to give us feedback in a way that we can use it to correct the issues on the beta forum. E.g. details of teh error, how you reproduced it, what list, which item etc.

deeter
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Post by deeter » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:54 pm

Ian,

Can you give us an idea of any new mechanics/rules that are included?

Deeter

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:49 pm

There is a list somewhere but the one I remember is evades. There will be a way to define whether you units evade or not. You'll set an aggression level - always evade, never evade or evade if I'll lose. This combines with the core rules so troops that must evade will do or those that are nto allowed to will not and others will require to pass a cohesion test to obey your orders. I think this will make a big difference to the issues of good LF being a liability as they wont evade from poor LF if you tell them to run etc. It gives the general another tool to use. You also wont know what the enemy has set this to so it takes away the certainties you have now and adds lots of interesting possibilities.

deeter

Post by deeter » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:59 pm

Woo hoo! In that case, count me in.

Deeter

Scutarii
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by Scutarii » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:19 pm

2 questions about beta testing.

1-do you need have preordered S&C to be a betatester.

2-when i do betatesting for SOA need to reinstall all the game with army packs because installing beta over a copy dont work fine... is this solved??? if i do a copy-paste of my FoG folder and paste it in other HD (have 2 one with 2 partitions) can uninstall the beta and delete copy without damage original installation??? reinstall all is :lol: because is FoG+scen pack+latest patch (i understand that the last full patch appear with S&C 1.3.6 as downloable patch) + 3 army lists is... :oops:

PD: a little question, now in actual FoG what is the installation routine??? first FoG, next last big patch and last army packs or first army packs and then last patch???

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:31 pm

We suggest you make a copy of your game when playing the beta so you have a full fresh version installed and ready to go alongside the beta.

If you do have to reload, install and download the v1.3.3 patch and then use the in game updater from there. You can install army packs in any order after the initial install.

Note : The old version of FoG RoR was called v1.1.0.exe and if you have this then you would be best to install that before adding teh 1.3.3 patch as this old version will revert you to v1.1.0 and you have to apply 1.3.3 again afterwards. We fixed it soon afterwards but it may be a legacy issue for those who bought it right at the start and have this old installer.

cothyso
NewRoSoft
NewRoSoft

Post by cothyso » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:38 pm

can't we get an updated installer for RoR?

Scutarii

Post by Scutarii » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:00 pm

Ok, i see but my question is if i can do a copy of FoG folder (not a second installation), paste it in other HD or HD partition, install beta over this copy and when final version arrive uninstall the beta (maybe here is better dont use an installer for beta, put in a rar or a zip army pack files to unzip could be better), delete copy folder and then install in original folder the army pack, i know that doing a second install of FoG game dont works fine... and we need preorder S&C to be betatesters??? i wait for first army pack images like i do with INF :roll:

Yes, i have the old 1.1.0 RoR installer... well, i only want know the order of installation if are like with this old version any problem, install all army packs before patch isnt a problem :wink:

PD: thanks for the fast reply.

CheerfullyInsane

Dual install questions

Post by CheerfullyInsane » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:30 pm

Okay, signed up, and slowly getting ready.

However, doing a dual-install.....
Is it enough to simply copy the FoG folder to another position on the HDD, or do you need to run the FoG Installer again?
And if so, how do you ensure that the army-packs installed subsequently are tied to the Beta-version, and not the original install?

Lars

Scutarii

Post by Scutarii » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:37 pm

That is the question, when i betatested SOA i do a second install of FoG but this breaks original game when i uninstall the second and i do it in a different HD...

Well, i am going to register because if all works fine if not... well, someday i need to test a full reinstall :wink:

cothyso
NewRoSoft
NewRoSoft

Post by cothyso » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:44 pm

you do not need to reinstall, simply:
1) copy the whole FoG install folder in some other place
2) install SaS (it will be done in the original FoG install folder)
3) move/rename the now SaS folder to some ohther place/name (fog_sas for example)
4) move back the copied FoG

now you have the original FoG install in the same place, and a new FoG SaS one.

CheerfullyInsane

Post by CheerfullyInsane » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:51 pm

cothyso wrote:you do not need to reinstall, simply:
1) copy the whole FoG install folder in some other place
2) install SaS (it will be done in the original FoG install folder)
3) move/rename the now SaS folder to some ohther place/name (fog_sas for example)
4) move back the copied FoG

now you have the original FoG install in the same place, and a new FoG SaS one.
Got it.
Thanks for the step-by-step :)

Lars

Scutarii

Post by Scutarii » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:52 pm

I see, is the classic way, a security copy used to overwrite the patch version when you want have a clean installation with no beta 8)

Well, when we start the beta if i see an interesting army pack i preorder it :wink:

PD: i think that a good way to test it is that we betatesters divide the armies and test all the aspects of this armies, is easy, first army list to find problems with unit numbers (the 0-0 limits and repeat types) then do an army with all units (and possible commanders) and see it in the battle field to find problems with graphics (units armed with swords using spears images or problems when you dismount an unit) and finally the engine test :wink:

TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:38 pm

So one doesnt need to worry about the two other folders the install has( the folders in docs and settings for example?)

Scutarii

Post by Scutarii » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:43 pm

If i dont remember wrong uninstall FoG dont delete the folder of armies/scens and when you save an army do it in the folder even from a copy... ummm i am going to test it, wait a minute :wink:

Scutarii

Post by Scutarii » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:49 pm

Is as i say, do a copy of FoG, paste it in other HD, execute FoG copy, create an INF army and it appears in the armies folder as i do it from original game :wink:

cothyso
NewRoSoft
NewRoSoft

Post by cothyso » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:29 pm

they both will use the same settings/army folders on C drive. it wasn't a problem during neither of previous betas, it will surely be the same case now.
Last edited by cothyso on Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Field of Glory Digital”