First Beta Tournament Complete

PC/Mac : Digital version of the popular tabletop gaming system. Fight battles on your desktop in single and mutiplayer!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, FoG PC Moderator, NewRoSoft

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

First Beta Tournament Complete

Post by IainMcNeil » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:32 am

And here are the results!

http://www.slitherine.com/tourn_results/1

Congratulations to Cothyso!

We're improving the system and hope to run a new beta soon!

cothyso
NewRoSoft
NewRoSoft

Post by cothyso » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:14 pm

thank you!

Gersen
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Gersen » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:33 am

Any thoughts from the players on the experience? Good fun?

iandavidsmith
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Post by iandavidsmith » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:54 am

Gersen wrote:Any thoughts from the players on the experience? Good fun?
I enjoyed it , its different not having any control over the battles or army composition , unlike DAG
, although i like that as well. :-)

batesmotel
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by batesmotel » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:13 pm

iandavidsmith wrote:
Gersen wrote:Any thoughts from the players on the experience? Good fun?
I enjoyed it , its different not having any control over the battles or army composition , unlike DAG
, although i like that as well. :-)
Just as a note, you can always choose to play scenarios or paired scenarios for multi-player games. That wasn't anything special introduced for the beta tournament.

Chris
....where life is beautiful all the time

davouthojo
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by davouthojo » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:25 am

The system worked very well, automatically matching opponents and launching paired games, calculating results and showing scores. The game timer is an additional feature.

The biggest issue was how much score to award someone whose opponent dropped out or ran out of time for the game. In the competition they got a maximum win, which risked moving players out of their depth on the ladder and distorting the order, but there were several good suggestions made to fix this.

I must say, with the automatic system working so well, I missed the banter and battle reports from others - it felt a little sterile compared to pantherboy's leagues or andersm73's cup.

Archie
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by Archie » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:41 am

As a newby, I enjoyed the beta, thanks again

CheerfullyInsane
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by CheerfullyInsane » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:22 pm

davouthojo wrote:I must say, with the automatic system working so well, I missed the banter and battle reports from others - it felt a little sterile compared to pantherboy's leagues or andersm73's cup.
There's that, but then the system will eventually save those two brave souls a lot of work.

The only two issues I have is, one the scoring system, and two the format.
Both of which are being resolved in some form AFAIK.
Though iain, would it be possible to combine tourney-formats?
I'm thinking of a system I saw at a local convention, where they had 4 rounds of Swiss to find the top 4, who then entered 2 knockout-rounds.
The advantages being that you don't have the number of rounds a straight knock-out would require, nor do you lose any chance of winning if you lose the first round.
Just a thought.

Lars
I've got two words for ya: Math is hard.

Triarii
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by Triarii » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:30 pm

davouthojo wrote:The system worked very well, automatically matching opponents and launching paired games, calculating results and showing scores. The game timer is an additional feature.

The biggest issue was how much score to award someone whose opponent dropped out or ran out of time for the game. In the competition they got a maximum win, which risked moving players out of their depth on the ladder and distorting the order, but there were several good suggestions made to fix this.
Absolutely agree with the first part - worked very well indeed thanks to all at Slitherene. The 'bye' scores is definitely the area for development/better solution.

As for the banter - I think that would come we get into the habit of using a tournament reporting thread (as well not instead of btw).
Certainly this appeared alongside the LoEG season 1 where reporting was by PM to pantherboy and has just evolved with his leagues.

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:49 am

Anything is possible with the tournament system so we expect features to be added over time. The immediate changes we want to get in are
* Dealing with games timing out better and awarding better scores. i.e. not 25:0, but instead the loser gets the points they have scored to that point and the winner gets awarded points for destroying the enemy army.
* Dealing with drop out. A player who does not do anything in a round is dropped out of the draw to avoid polluting the next round of the draw.
* Better points system for drop out games. When your opponent drops out we need a better way to award points. Currently it is 25:0 but this is too high. Instead we can either try and average their scores and extrapolate, award a standard 20 points, or award the best winning score from that round.
* Add a way for someone to voluntarily leave before a round starts. E.g. If you cannot make thie round at all you can drop out of the draw. You'll get 0 points, but have the option to join back in for the following round.

I think these were the main issues. Not xure how many will be sorted for the next test run but we'll get as much done as we can!

maximvs
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by maximvs » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:35 pm

Speaking as one of the 'drop outs' -

Now that we know that a 4 game competition will take 3 to 4 weeks, it will be easier for everyone to know if they are available for each round or not.

In my particular case, whilst I knew I was going on holiday 17 days after the competition started, I was anticipating that the competition would have completed before my departure.

In fact, would it be a good idea to include the dates of each round when announcing the tournament?

CheerfullyInsane

Post by CheerfullyInsane » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:02 pm

maximvs wrote:Speaking as one of the 'drop outs' -

Now that we know that a 4 game competition will take 3 to 4 weeks, it will be easier for everyone to know if they are available for each round or not.

In my particular case, whilst I knew I was going on holiday 17 days after the competition started, I was anticipating that the competition would have completed before my departure.

In fact, would it be a good idea to include the dates of each round when announcing the tournament?
Uhm....
They did. :)

Lars
I've got two words for ya: Math is hard.

maximvs

Post by maximvs » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:23 am

Oops, I hadn't seen that when I said I'd like to participate ... :oops:

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:06 pm

Every competition can be different. We might have one that runs over a weekend but will be pretty intensive.

Return to “Field of Glory Digital”