The New Field of Glory

PC/Mac : Digital version of the popular tabletop gaming system. Fight battles on your desktop in single and mutiplayer!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, NewRoSoft, FoG PC Moderator

jimkoby
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Re: The New Field of Glory

Post by jimkoby »

I agree with both Micha and stockwellpete. The new code is essential (assuming the new effort is self-documenting, modular, etc.) for any kind of future. As a geezer in high tech myself, I've watched too many projects fail after good people have given their best and even their personal resources because the code became too hard to adapt. (Though I have relatives whose careers were established by simply keeping old COBAL programs running--which isn't simple.) Beyond that, as a lonely old guy, I applaud any add ons that would make my solo life easier. Also, Micha, keep writing in English, the more you do the better you get at it! And you're already good.
aka The Count dTen
"Quam stultus sed, quam fidelis"
Micha63
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by Micha63 »

Thank you my friend, i will do my very best. I was a lazy english student and disturbet my english teacher more than 1 time.
If he could see how much effort it costs me now to get a good english he would laugh about me in his grave. :D
Last edited by Micha63 on Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brigz
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by Brigz »

Micha wrote:Thank you my friend, i will do my verry best. I was a lazy english student and disturbet my english teacher more than 1 time.
If he could see how much effort it costs me now to get a good english he would laugh about me in his grave. :D
Micha, your English is excellent. If I could speak and write German half as well as you do English, I'd be very proud of myself. One of the disadvantages of English becoming a "universal language" is that those of us who are born in English speaking countries are less likely to learn another language. We are the lazy ones, not you. I have had a chance to learn German, Spanish, French and Japanese but never made the effort. I wish I had been less lazy.
cothyso
NewRoSoft
NewRoSoft

Post by cothyso »

Hello guys,

Just a short update for you all (thank you Blethergut for reminding me, I tended to stay buried in my coding cave during the last couple of months and pretty much forgot there still exists a living world outside it):

We're very close of a public open beta for FoG(U). Very close like in a couple of weeks or so :)

Currently we're working on preparing the bRC5, which kept being postponed for a looooong while due to some problems with animation system (Unity is not really a multithreaded engine, and that caused a lot of unexpected problems in the last couple of months). bRC5 should be ready at the end of this week (actually, it is ready as of today, but i want to keep it a little bit longer in order to add some last minute new additions to it).

Sorry about this long period of silence, it is entirely my fault.

dan
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

Thanks very much for the update, Dan. How long will the public beta phase last, do you think?
jimkoby
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by jimkoby »

Thank you, Dan. I look forward to cheering and applauding. Plus will continue to plug for FOG-R and campaign links! :wink:
aka The Count dTen
Micha63

Post by Micha63 »

Thanks for the news.
Brigz

Post by Brigz »

Thanks Dan. Much appreciated.

Dave
voskarp
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by voskarp »

stockwellpete wrote:
Micha wrote:The big question about it though is whether FOG Renaissance would really sell enough for Slitherine to do it - and, of course, the recession is really hitting hard now across Europe. I would like to think that eventually it will happen although a Napoleonic game might be what comes next (because that will definitely sell).
I, for one, would buy almost any expansion. If not because I really needed it, but to support this game. This is about the one and only computer game I need!
Last edited by voskarp on Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bentfender
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by bentfender »

I'm really enjoying the FOG ancients and so look forward with anticipation to any updates and expansions.
jimkoby
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by jimkoby »

I am not going to throw money at them (the paper bills fly up in my face and I'd be afraid of maiming someone hurling bags of pennies), but either idea FOG-R or FOG-N for the PC sounds good. There are other alternatives for Napoleonics, but nothing I know of would play as easily. Still, I'd buy the FOG-R and probably take a pass at FOG-N (the few gamers I know are heavily into other rule sets). I suspect I'm too old to convert the whole world anew.
aka The Count dTen
cothyso
NewRoSoft
NewRoSoft

Post by cothyso »

bRC5 was just released to the beta channel :)
jimkoby
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by jimkoby »

Ooooooooooh, sexy. Unfortunately, I'd be a rotten beta tester so I'll never see it. I'm strictly of the "Fix it you scream' &^$$%^*(&()& idiot!" school of inspection. But now it'll free up your crew for more critical stuff, like FOG-U and FOG-Ruu.
aka The Count dTen
Brigz

Post by Brigz »

cothyso wrote:bRC5 was just released to the beta channel :)
"...beta channel"? You mean it's been released to the people who have been beta testing?
cothyso
NewRoSoft
NewRoSoft

Post by cothyso »

yes
Celtoi666
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Celtoi666 »

So, how are the beta-tests evolving ?
Hope they look promising: any news to tell us ?
Cheers!
jimkoby
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by jimkoby »

In other words, tell us something--anything! Lie if you have to, but make it sweet and believable.
aka The Count dTen
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

Celtoi666 wrote:So, how are the beta-tests evolving ?
Hope they look promising: any news to tell us ?
Cheers!
There is this thread now (especially the "Bug Reports" bit), not sure if you have seen it . . .

http://www.slitherine.co.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=97
cothyso
NewRoSoft
NewRoSoft

Post by cothyso »

We're fixing bugs, polishing the interface and working on AI and iOS and Android builds.

The progress is fine, why should we lied about it? The game is in open beta right now, so everyone can access the Beta forums and everyone having the digital FoG(RB) can download and play with the PC version of it.

We'll also put a new build soon, and we'll delete all current existing MP games (as the MP protocol has changed).
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

cothyso wrote: We'll also put a new build soon, and we'll delete all current existing MP games (as the MP protocol has changed).
Dan, do you mean all the current MP games in the beta test? Or do you mean on the system as a whole? I think you probably are referring to the beta-testing, but if not there are a number of tournaments running on the old system at the moment that might like a few days notice of the change so that the organisers can tell players to "get a move on" or "restart" etc. Cheers. :wink:

Return to “Field of Glory Digital”