Superior Lancers Commanders Reroll 2s

PC/Mac : Digital version of the popular tabletop gaming system. Fight battles on your desktop in single and mutiplayer!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, FoG PC Moderator, NewRoSoft

Turk1964
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Superior Lancers Commanders Reroll 2s

Post by Turk1964 »

Never noticed this before but in 2 recent games involving Superior Armoured Lancers the commanders are rerolling 2s. I thought only Elites rerolled 2s? Is this correct or is it a bug? Cheeers Turk
davouthojo
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Re: Superior Lancers Commanders Reroll 2s

Post by davouthojo »

Adding a general ups the quality of the units 1 for rerolls.
So that is correct...Superior reroll 1s, Superior with general will reroll 1s and 2s, Elites with a general reroll 1s, 2s and 3s.....
Turk1964

Post by Turk1964 »

Ok thanks for confirming that :) Does it mention this anywhere in the manual or Wiki as i cant find any reference?
Tiavals
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by Tiavals »

It's mentioned there somewhere, since I've known about it for a long time as well. That is the reason why people generally like to make elephants commanders(often buying several troop generals as indians just to do that), since it makes them a lot better and far more reliable.
Turk1964

Post by Turk1964 »

Thanks Tiavals i guess ive never taken any notice before as i didnt think commanders had any beifit with dice. Makes no difference to me at the momment as 1s and 2s reroll as 3 s or less :lol: :lol: :lol:
Morbio
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by Morbio »

The effect of commanders (generals) on dice rolls is explained on the Wiki. If you want to read it look here http://fog-pc-wiki.wikispaces.com/Generals+in+FOG

If you are new to FoG Digital I really do recommend reading at least some of this, particularly the parts that explain how combat works. It also gives some good tips and tactics.

Morbio
hidde
Brigadier-General - 8.8 cm Pak 43/41
Brigadier-General - 8.8 cm Pak 43/41

Post by hidde »

I'm no newbie but there's still gaps in my knowledge :D

Superior reroll 1s, Superior with general will reroll 1s and 2s, Elites with a general reroll 1s, 2s and 3s :shock:

That I had missed. Always thought there was no point in putting a commander in an elite BG...
but there's no guarantee the 3 will not be lower on second try :wink:
Turk1964

Post by Turk1964 »

Well i dont feel so bad now if you didnt know either Hidde :o
Aristides

Post by Aristides »

The wiki says both that comanders need to be adjacent and that they only need to be in range to affect rally. The latter is, I am assuming, correct?

[Under Cohesian tests: "For most cohesion tests, the commander modifier applied is the same if you are anywhere within command range. The exceptions are for units attempting to rally/bolster to regain cohesion and for cohesion tests as a result of losing in impact or melee. In these cases the commander modifier only applies if the commander is adjacent to or with the BG taking the test."]
‘I go North, to the swords and the siege,
That yet for a while rivers may run clean and birds build their nests,
Ere Night comes.’
batesmotel
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by batesmotel »

hidde wrote:I'm no newbie but there's still gaps in my knowledge :D

Superior reroll 1s, Superior with general will reroll 1s and 2s, Elites with a general reroll 1s, 2s and 3s :shock:

That I had missed. Always thought there was no point in putting a commander in an elite BG...
but there's no guarantee the 3 will not be lower on second try :wink:
Other than for poor troops re-rolling 6s, If a re-roll is lower than the original roll the original roll is used.

Chris
....where life is beautiful all the time
batesmotel
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by batesmotel »

Aristides wrote:The wiki says both that comanders need to be adjacent and that they only need to be in range to affect rally. The latter is, I am assuming, correct?

[Under Cohesian tests: "For most cohesion tests, the commander modifier applied is the same if you are anywhere within command range. The exceptions are for units attempting to rally/bolster to regain cohesion and for cohesion tests as a result of losing in impact or melee. In these cases the commander modifier only applies if the commander is adjacent to or with the BG taking the test."]
Commanders only help for bolstering/rallying, e.g. regaining cohesion, if they are with the BG or adjacent to it. The same is true for a BG that is in combat.

For a commander to affect combat re-rolls, he must be with the BG.

Chris
pantherboy
Tournament 3rd Place
Tournament 3rd Place

Post by pantherboy »

It doesn't matter if a re-roll is lower than the original as the unit will only re-roll misses. Back in the beginning of FOG there was the scenario between the Indians and Macedonians where you have Alexander as an elite BG with leader. I noticed that when I charged with Alex that the re-rolls caused me to miss. I rolled three 3s which were all hits and then rolled two 2s and a 1 resulting in Alex getting clobbered by a bow rather than running them down. From that point on the game was patched to prevent this occurrence.
batesmotel
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by batesmotel »

pantherboy wrote:It doesn't matter if a re-roll is lower than the original as the unit will only re-roll misses. Back in the beginning of FOG there was the scenario between the Indians and Macedonians where you have Alexander as an elite BG with leader. I noticed that when I charged with Alex that the re-rolls caused me to miss. I rolled three 3s which were all hits and then rolled two 2s and a 1 resulting in Alex getting clobbered by a bow rather than running them down. From that point on the game was patched to prevent this occurrence.
It doesn't matter for combat re-rolls but it can for cohesion (or complex move tests if there is more than one re-roll).

Chris
pantherboy
Tournament 3rd Place
Tournament 3rd Place

Post by pantherboy »

batesmotel wrote:
pantherboy wrote:It doesn't matter if a re-roll is lower than the original as the unit will only re-roll misses. Back in the beginning of FOG there was the scenario between the Indians and Macedonians where you have Alexander as an elite BG with leader. I noticed that when I charged with Alex that the re-rolls caused me to miss. I rolled three 3s which were all hits and then rolled two 2s and a 1 resulting in Alex getting clobbered by a bow rather than running them down. From that point on the game was patched to prevent this occurrence.
It doesn't matter for combat re-rolls but it can for cohesion (or complex move tests if there is more than one re-roll).

Chris
I thought there were no re-rolls except for combat in the digital game.

Steve
Turk1964

Post by Turk1964 »

Yes i thought the same thing and you wont see the cohesion rolls unless you bring up the control panel which is a pain :?
batesmotel
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by batesmotel »

There are definitely re-rolls for cohesion tests and these are shown in the console window. I believe there are complex move tests as well but don't think these are shown in the console since rolls aren't shown at all for many or all CMTs. As an exception re-rolls shouldn't apply to anarchy charge tests and I believe that is working correctly but there is no console display to verify that.

Chris
Turk1964

Post by Turk1964 »

No wonder everyone is confused as there are rolls you dont even see :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Field of Glory Digital”