Expansion pack, features and armies.

PC/Mac : Digital version of the popular tabletop gaming system. Fight battles on your desktop in single and mutiplayer!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, FoG PC Moderator, NewRoSoft

Calvitious
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Expansion pack, features and armies.

Post by Calvitious »

Hi everyone !

I enjoyed the Christmas Sale to discover Field of Glory and I really like it. I played some games against the AI but sadly this one is not really efficient. Even if it keeps to beat me more than often, it's always sad to see some illogical moves.

Beside it we are all okay with some Internet friends to start a tournament in January so it's definitely time to switch for the multiplayer mode ! Sadly even if I can access DAG in vanilla game I have to stick with a Roman or Carthaginian army. Which make me feel really limited.

So I think it's time for me to enjoy the huge discount on the title again and buy at least one extension. But I wander:
- Does Battle Pack offer new armies for Multi Player mode or just battles for the Solo ?
- On Store page, does Available / Include armies concern DAG ? I think so but better be sure than sorry. :wink:

Last but not least:
- Some expansions include new features / improvements: new terrains type like soft sand in Swords and Scimitars, double moves in Immortal Fire, line of sight in Rise of Rome, dismount troop in Storm of Arrows, etc. Are these bonii now automatically include to my updated vanilla game or do I still need to buy their specific pack to enjoy them ? If they are limited: will I enjoy them if my opponent own them during our match ? Or will it be impossible for him to enable them ?

Thank you for attention mates ! Hope to see you one day in a PBEM. Can't wait for you to teach me a lesson the hard way ! :D
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Re: Expansion pack, features and armies.

Post by stockwellpete »

Does Battle Pack offer new armies for Multi Player mode or just battles for the Solo ?

I don't think so. It just offers new battles.
On Store page, does Available / Include armies concern DAG ? I think so but better be sure than sorry. :wink:

Yes, if you buy, say, "Immortal Fire", you will get all those armies listed in the pack.
Some expansions include new features / improvements: new terrains type like soft sand in Swords and Scimitars, double moves in Immortal Fire, line of sight in Rise of Rome, dismount troop in Storm of Arrows, etc. Are these bonii now automatically include to my updated vanilla game or do I still need to buy their specific pack to enjoy them ? If they are limited: will I enjoy them if my opponent own them during our match ? Or will it be impossible for him to enable them ?

I am about 95% certain that you can just update the game to the latest edition and you will get these new features without buying the expansion that first introduced them to the game.
Thank you for attention mates ! Hope to see you one day in a PBEM. Can't wait for you to teach me a lesson the hard way ! :D
I will send you an invitation to Season 5 of the FOG Digital League. Be sure to tell your friends too! :D

viewforum.php?f=247
Calvitious

Post by Calvitious »

Thank you Stockwellpete ! It's really cool to get an answer so soon.

I'm really happy you confirmed me a straight answer for my first two questions ! Sadly the last one is really tricky. I simulated to create a mutli-player game to look at the available options: I can check a box to enable Double Moves so it seems to confirm your feeling. But in the main time their is none to allow Line of Sight /Fog of War. So it could be that some new feaures became Vanilla and others stayed exclusive to their original pack ! Or maybe I missed this optional rule in another menu ?

If someone own Rise of Rome and can quickly look plus give me a feedback about this it will be awesome. I sent a ticket to the support in case no one is able to answer this complicate matter, but it's Christmas so I think these poor guys will be really busy ! :wink:

Thank you for the invitation to the tournament ! I will obviously be one of the worst players but I think it will be a great moment and a smart way to improve quickly. Specially since the wiki is done and the manual a bit obsolete.
Jonathan4290
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by Jonathan4290 »

The expansions are great and really add a lot of depth to the game. Some players just buy the ones they're really interested in but others (like me) buy them all and still haven't felt like they've mastered them. This is largely why I've been organizing expansion book-themed tournaments to get a feel of the armies in each time/region. I've done ROR, SOA and SAS so far.

It really is a shame about the wiki as I learned most things early on from it. The community is really welcoming and many players (including myself) would be more than willing to play some friendly games and give feedback throughout.
Check out my website, The Art of Battle: Animated Battle Maps, where I recreate the greatest battles and campaigns of history: http://www.theartofbattle.com
Calvitious

Post by Calvitious »

In a perfect world I'll buy them all. But sadly I'm limited by wallet. :(
So I have to choose and better do it wisely. Which will be hard because Matrix Support answered my ticket in a confusing way !
Thank you for contacting us. I'll cover the points below:
The Battle Pack only contains the scenarios listed. It does not contain any Army Lists. The other expansions do include army lists and the armies can be used on multiplayer games and in the DAG tool. The features of the expansions, e.g. soft sand, are only available as a part of the expansions. And for you to play the new features or scenarios with another player they must have the relevant pack themselves.
All's fine for Battle Pack and armies list. Same as expected and indicated by Pete. But strangely official support confirm that new features are strictly limited to expansion users; which is false at least for Double Moves. I think I have to deal with it: it's an obscure area and nobody really knows actually. A bit surprising and sad. But still happy to get so much answers ! Don't hesitate to jump in if you've further information or even guessing. Still cool to get a chatty. :)

Happy Christmas everyone !
Jonathan4290

Post by Jonathan4290 »

Unless you have a particular interest in a time period, I'd rank expansion packs as follows from best to worst based on variety and overall fun of using the army lists:
1) Rise of Rome
2) Storm of Arrows
3) Eternal Empire
4) Swords and Scimitars
5) Immortal Fire
6) Legions Triumphant
7) Decline and Fall

These are entirely subjective, personal preferences. Anyone else feel the same way? IF, LT and DAF simply have way too many similar armies.
Check out my website, The Art of Battle: Animated Battle Maps, where I recreate the greatest battles and campaigns of history: http://www.theartofbattle.com
Calvitious

Post by Calvitious »

Because of this features story, I'll be oblige to go for Rise of Rome anyway. Fog of War is a must have for me: a good strategy imply a lot of surprise.

Funny: Decline and Fall was at the top of my buying list. Despite the fact that announced features are still described as "TBD". Since you own this one, did you notice these enigmatic features or are they just a myth ?

I'm so full of questions... sorry guys !
Jonathan4290

Post by Jonathan4290 »

I played base game for only a few weeks and then bought all the expansions at once so I'm not sure about features. Major feature is fog of war, other "features" I think are just new things in the game, not necessarily things that affect all play.

DAF is at bottom because it covers a period I know little about (don't get the same thrill of simulating its battles) and its armies are either super, over-powered armies such as Arab Conquest, Dailaimi, Christian Nubian, or they're just terrible. In League play, the early middle ages section only really includes this expansion, and is thus the least popular by entrants.

Return to “Field of Glory Digital”