Full story of Field of Glory

PC/Mac : Digital version of the popular tabletop gaming system. Fight battles on your desktop in single and mutiplayer!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, FoG PC Moderator, NewRoSoft

Asterix_von_TWC
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Full story of Field of Glory

Post by Asterix_von_TWC » Mon May 11, 2015 10:05 pm

Can one of the vintage veterans here please shed some light on the full, long history of this game?

How did tabletop migrate to PC? What happened to the development process post-release? why did it linger for years? Was the community to small?

Why are the original team not around to upgrade/implement new miniature graphics etc.?

Were the Renaissace/Napoleon rules ever considered for PC?

Are Slitherine now exclusive proprietor?

I am a "new" player--- started in late 2014, and I find this community very enigmatic... and there is very little info around. It seems unique, and troubled for standing out, but I would love more background.

MikeMarchant
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Re: Full story of Field of Glory

Post by MikeMarchant » Mon May 11, 2015 10:35 pm

I second Asterix' appeal for the same information, if anyone would be kind enough to fill us in. I'd be fascinated.

Best Wishes

Mike

Old_Warrior
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Old_Warrior » Tue May 12, 2015 2:59 pm

The original tabletop game was released a few years prior to the idea of a computer game being developed. When the computer version was conceived they knew that it would have to be different. Units would not have blocks of castings for instance.

A third party company did the programming. They also procured a graphics team. The graphics are very expensive to develop due to the format they use. Its not just Photoshop ...

The original game had issues that many of us picked out right away. Corrections were made in some areas which did not take a lot of programming time. Others were done as well over the years.

Then the original team dropped out. A new team stepped in. The new team started working on correcting the existing game. This is in beta testing. You can read about the things it corrects in the main thread for the update.

A completely new game was conceived. I am not sure how far into development it is. New modules for the old game will be few at this point. Wolves from the Sea and perhaps 1-2 more (and perhaps a pack of battles). Unfortunately, my fav. module, the Far Eastern empires, will not be done as it has too much graphics to build. A shame really as the units would be exotic on the battlefield.

I think that the game is still excellent to play, minus my usual beefs about combat resolution. Also the fact that Medium cavalry cannot about face, move and reface which was a rather simple maneuver for the times and training being good for the unit.

Really there was a burst of activity at a key time which gave us TONS of material to play. I have yet to build all of the armies for each particular era. Some players just like to build a "killer army" to pad their score. I tend to like to try out all of the armies to see how well I can do at commanding them. Usually that means losses but oh well, commanding a chariot army is fun or an Indian army with chariots and elephants.

Rather than focus on the delays keep looking at what HAS been accomplished. Back a few years back we were seeing modules pour out of the Slitherine mill. I for one enjoyed seeing all of the hard work that was done. That is slowed down so much is just due to the fact that the graphics for the new modules will take a lot more time. There are literally hundreds that have to be built for Wolves and the other two modules (the Middle Ages module - cant remember the title - it follows the Wolves period) as well.

As a side note: I actually got to be part of the Battle Academy team and worked on the Metz module because Iain and I exchanged some forum messages on FoG! :) Sometimes it pays to speak your mind but remember to do it in a graceful manner ;)

ichirou989
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by ichirou989 » Tue May 12, 2015 6:22 pm

A couple of clarifications to Old_Warrior's excellent recap. Another reason for this decision to update was they wanted a more streamlined code for future expansions, as well and perhaps more importantly something that could be more easily ported over the iOS/Android tablet market.

Also the new team consists of just one fellow; cothyso. The gent by himself has taken on the herculean task of first figuring out the original code pretty much from scratch as the original team was unavailable to help, and then rebuilding the game in the new format as well as adding in features and errata that had been brought forward by the players. What was originally thought to be a 6 month task has now taken several years as the job that was originally envisioned was far more difficult and complex than first thought. That one guy was able to accomplish all is amazing, but since it is just one man and he presumably also has a day job it also explains why it has taken longer than many expected.

Either way, we are at last approaching the first release of this new version of the game.

Asterix_von_TWC

Post by Asterix_von_TWC » Tue May 12, 2015 8:44 pm

Really thanks for the input. Had I had such input earlier, my point of view would have been less stereotyped, and certainly far less impatient.

One thing I need to mark though, for a lot of old-timers (like myself perhaps), is that its always better to inform new participants clearly lest they judge for themselves with lack of information.

Thanks a lot for the recap! I wish I could do more than thank you :)

Also, a big thanks to Cothyso.

Jonathan4290

Post by Jonathan4290 » Wed May 13, 2015 3:53 am

I find it strange to think that with so much work would be put into a new version if Slitherine wasn't planning on cashing in on all 6 remaining expansions (I too would pay good money for Empires of the Dragon and I know a great many others who feel the same way about Swifter than Eagles). I recognize the difficulty of making the graphics, but the tabletop FOG community is pretty large and I'm sure it could be done in a cost-effective way.

I've spent over $200 on the base game plus expansions and battle pack, and am definitely willing to pay for the remaining 6 expansions, bringing the total revenue for the game to over $300. Best money I've spent.
Check out my website, The Art of Battle: Animated Battle Maps, where I recreate the greatest battles and campaigns of history: http://www.theartofbattle.com

MikeMarchant

Post by MikeMarchant » Wed May 13, 2015 4:36 am

Thanks for the information, guys, it's really great to have an idea of how all this came about. What a hero Cothsyo is, we really must make an effort to congratualte him when all this is done.

Best Wishes

Mike

ZeaBed
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by ZeaBed » Wed May 13, 2015 4:59 am

Jonathan4290 wrote:I find it strange to think that with so much work would be put into a new version if Slitherine wasn't planning on cashing in on all 6 remaining expansions (I too would pay good money for Empires of the Dragon and I know a great many others who feel the same way about Swifter than Eagles). I recognize the difficulty of making the graphics, but the tabletop FOG community is pretty large and I'm sure it could be done in a cost-effective way.

I've spent over $200 on the base game plus expansions and battle pack, and am definitely willing to pay for the remaining 6 expansions, bringing the total revenue for the game to over $300. Best money I've spent.
This here, hear-hear. I too would like to see a Swifter than Eagles expansion at least.

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete » Thu May 14, 2015 7:35 am

I think the problem is that if they release books like "Empires of the Dragon" with a new type of graphics then they would have to update the graphics for all the other books as well so they were compatible for "any book" challenges. I think that they would like to do this eventually, but obviously it is a fairly massive task.

Asterix_von_TWC

Post by Asterix_von_TWC » Thu May 14, 2015 8:32 am

stockwellpete wrote:I think the problem is that if they release books like "Empires of the Dragon" with a new type of graphics then they would have to update the graphics for all the other books as well so they were compatible for "any book" challenges. I think that they would like to do this eventually, but obviously it is a fairly massive task.
An innovative answer to this debacle might involve harnessing the community to make the graphics. 2-3 months all will be done... its as enjoyable as painting minatures, and I am certain we have talent in the FoG ranks.

batesmotel
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by batesmotel » Sun May 17, 2015 4:27 pm

A couple comments of the history of the old version. I beleive Keith who did the original version of FoG was pretty much a one person operation like Dan appears to be now for the new version. He spoke of having family members painting figures to be used for the images in FoG PC. And I think he used connections he had with a local university to use a high tech setup they used to take photographs of 3d objects to build computer models of them. With Keith's departure from working ont he riginal version I think access to the #D photography set up was lost and hence the difficulty in doing more books beyond those for which the work had already been done. If the new version sells well and the new expansions sell well, maybe Slitherine will find a way to produce further expanisons.

Chris
....where life is beautiful all the time

Return to “Field of Glory Digital”