Game Status - Challenges

PC/Mac : Digital version of the popular tabletop gaming system. Fight battles on your desktop in single and mutiplayer!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, FoG PC Moderator, NewRoSoft

Yuknoom
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Game Status - Challenges

Post by Yuknoom »

It is interesting that there are very few challenges being posted these days, yet whenever I post one it gets accepted very quickly.
Clearly there are many people still looking for games, but who seem reluctant to carry on with the new edition 'imminent'. :roll:
This seems to include quite a few new players who, frankly, I feel badly for because they purchased a game which is carrying on indefinitely without support.
Remember the post that said the digital league would be postponed for a bit because the new edition was expected out in ' a couple of weeks,' and the TD did not want to see games aborted in the middle of the event? That was FIFTEEN MONTHS ago. And the league has not resumed.
May I suggest that we get back to playing, and stop being discouraged by links to various versions of the new edition which are not available to the general public? I know everyone wants to be cutting edge and more tech savvy than the next guy, but this nonsense has been going on WAY too long.
It's a good game, with tremendous replayability. Let's get back to offering some open challenges and meeting some new people.
http://www.badassoftheweek.com/index.cgi?id=48066411937
Asterix_von_TWC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Re: Game Status - Challenges

Post by Asterix_von_TWC »

I have never seen a publisher, who's core job is essentially PR, infrastructure and marketing, handle something as badly as this. My esteem of Matrix/Slitherine which was sky-high has now tumbled into the mud.... I find myself not trusting them nor looking forward to any new releases. FoG was a beautiful game which is unique in its genre, and should have received the care to be kept relevant.

I could have enjoyed the base version, but the fact that ready expansion packs were being held back years without release is sick.

15 months.... the story is even longer.
JocaRamiro
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by JocaRamiro »

Personally,

I have decided not to engage in play using this product until the new release is released as a release - not as beta. To be honest, I am still looking forward to that day.

Joca Ramiro
fogman
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Post by fogman »

people should stop worrying about the new version. the current version is superb and i'm perfectly happy with it and have never stopped running my niche tourneys. as for the league, after the initial mistake was made to postpone it, the number of players has kept dwindling to the point where there is not enough left now for the scale envisaged (the guy was boasting not long ago he could get 80 players in the old days). It is really doubtful slitherine would just pull the plug on mp support for the current version the moment the new one comes out and enrage people with on going games. they never did that for "pike and shot" when :pike and shot campaign" came out. the truth is the unity version, in its current form, and i have played it quite a bit, is nowhere near as smooth and ready as what we have now.
Praeter
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Praeter »

I absolutely agree that leagues and matches should just go ahead! If the worst came to the worse and Slitherine just put out the new game without any warning it would be easy to just restart a few matches - much better than opting not to play leagues at all.
MikeMarchant
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by MikeMarchant »

Praeter wrote:I absolutely agree that leagues and matches should just go ahead! If the worst came to the worse and Slitherine just put out the new game without any warning it would be easy to just restart a few matches - much better than opting not to play leagues at all.
I agree.

Best Wishes

Mike
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

There is nothing to stop people organising tournaments with the old version. Jonathan and fogman are doing this right now. But I will not be running the FOGDL again until the new version comes out. The game will almost certainly need patching and it will also take a while to re-build the community again so the re-launched league will not reach 80 players again straight away. :P . Iain from Slitherine did categorically tell me that the old server would be shut down when the new version was launched so I had no choice but to postpone the tournament. It takes an incredible amount of work to organise things for 80 players and I wasn't prepared to run the risk of having such major disruption to the tournament where so many games in progress would probably have been lost.
Yuknoom
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Yuknoom »

The point of my post was to try and be constructive, certainly not to fault you for not running the tourney. I don't wish to get involved in any personal feuds here.
The point about your tourneys was they were shut own based on bad information. Remarkably bad information that the new edition was a couple of weeks away. Then in April, and again in September, we were told 'after this weekend', 'by the end of next week', 'just finishing up', and, frankly, the company spokesperson was rather condescendingly dismissive of any inquiries , 'When can I try it?' 'It is already available!' etc.I appreciate the tremendous effort put into those tournaments and understand why you don't wish to start one when we are being told the new edition will be out within the month- but for that to go on for years is not good.
So there are very few open challenges, and few opportunities for new players who must be a little discouraged to find that all the challenges they see are private, because the new release is 'imminent' and there will be little action until it comes out.
In my opinion its time to get over that thinking and assume the new edition will not be a factor in the foreseeable future.
And yes, fogman is correct that the current version is excellent, hardly obsolete or in dire need of any patching.
http://www.badassoftheweek.com/index.cgi?id=48066411937

Return to “Field of Glory Digital”