My problems with the new edition.

PC/Mac : Digital version of the popular tabletop gaming system. Fight battles on your desktop in single and mutiplayer!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, FoG PC Moderator, NewRoSoft

NikiforosFokas
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

My problems with the new edition.

Post by NikiforosFokas » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:12 pm

1st) I have set all the animation speed (All of them!) in far left (slow). Still it is imposible for me to follow the sequence of the opponent battles. As for the results, i just can not follow them.
2nd) Where is the results of the dice??? Maybe there is somewhere but i can not find it. P does work anymore (it does like a PAUSE button). And the detailed compat prediction remains silent about results.
3rd) What about the terrain infos? IS the only way to understand the difference of terrain if a unit is on it? What about the two kind's of the hill(s)?
Maybe all of them have their solution, but i can not find it. But please of you know it tell me, because sadly i can not enjoy the new edition like the old one. :cry:
For Byzantium!!

Towerbooks3192
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Re: My problems with the new edition.

Post by Towerbooks3192 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:41 pm

NikiforosFokas wrote:1st) I have set all the animation speed (All of them!) in far left (slow). Still it is imposible for me to follow the sequence of the opponent battles. As for the results, i just can not follow them.
2nd) Where is the results of the dice??? Maybe there is somewhere but i can not find it. P does work anymore (it does like a PAUSE button). And the detailed compat prediction remains silent about results.
3rd) What about the terrain infos? IS the only way to understand the difference of terrain if a unit is on it? What about the two kind's of the hill(s)?
Maybe all of them have their solution, but i can not find it. But please of you know it tell me, because sadly i can not enjoy the new edition like the old one. :cry:
Will second these. I am still new to this and all but the new one looks a bit wonky. Mousing over the terrain has no info about it and it seems like the older one is more intuitive for me when it comes to combat prediction. Also on the DAG creation, you can see the photos of the unit you are picking and in the new version it is gone.

Other than that, am I missing something or there are no documentations or even a tiny sliver of information about what units you got even with the purchase of the expansions?

cothyso
NewRoSoft
NewRoSoft

Post by cothyso » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:57 pm

1) have you also set the Post Static Action Wait Time and the Post Animated Action Wait Time to the far left of their bars (the furthest to the right, the longer the pause time needing to pass after a static/animated action before the next action will be triggered)?

2) pressing ~ key will bring down the console, pressing the C keyboard will toggle the detailed combat info panel info area

3) there's no over-terrain info atm. I will add the terrain info text in the Mouse Over Battlegroup info panel area for the next build. the common/steep hills are using different hex tile graphics, so you should be able to distinguish between them.

There are a lot of detailed/expert settings which are not accessible in the interface atm, as it was thought that an overwhelming interface info would discourage the casual user. I will expose it later on in the following builds as the time will allow it.

NikiforosFokas
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by NikiforosFokas » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:02 pm

Thanks. A million Thanks . :):)
For Byzantium!!

cothyso
NewRoSoft
NewRoSoft

Post by cothyso » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:04 pm

Towerbooks3192 wrote:Will second these. I am still new to this and all but the new one looks a bit wonky. Mousing over the terrain has no info about it and it seems like the older one is more intuitive for me when it comes to combat prediction. Also on the DAG creation, you can see the photos of the unit you are picking and in the new version it is gone.

Other than that, am I missing something or there are no documentations or even a tiny sliver of information about what units you got even with the purchase of the expansions?
See above.

A list for the new addons' content can be found in the Field of Glory (Unity) pre-release announcement thread. In the following days I will update the content info of the old addons too.

Towerbooks3192
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Towerbooks3192 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:28 pm

cothyso wrote:
Towerbooks3192 wrote:Will second these. I am still new to this and all but the new one looks a bit wonky. Mousing over the terrain has no info about it and it seems like the older one is more intuitive for me when it comes to combat prediction. Also on the DAG creation, you can see the photos of the unit you are picking and in the new version it is gone.

See above.

A list for the new addons' content can be found in the Field of Glory (Unity) pre-release announcement thread. In the following days I will update the content info of the old addons too.
What I meant was, are there any info on the units from in-game or documentation and not just the list of things that I get from an expansion? Like in the link in the manual there are information relating to the armies of field of glory. Is there something similar like that but covers the expansions?

TDefender
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by TDefender » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:51 pm

cothyso wrote:as it was thought that an overwhelming interface info would discourage the casual user..
Casual user? :shock:

FroBodine
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by FroBodine » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:29 am

So, you put out an upgrade to the game, but you take away some very important detailed information? I don't understand that at all. Who is a casual user who plays this game? Anyone? Bueller?

Also - please remove the huge flashing "Game Ended" text when a game is completed. This is just annoying as all get out.

I REALLY appreciate the new game, but it sure seems like a step backwards in many areas. You had all this time to upgrade the game, but you left out terrain info? And you removed detailed/expert settings? I It makes no sense. Why lessen the game from what it was, when you are upgrading it?!?

Towerbooks3192
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Towerbooks3192 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:09 am

FroBodine wrote:So, you put out an upgrade to the game, but you take away some very important detailed information? I don't understand that at all. Who is a casual user who plays this game? Anyone? Bueller?

Also - please remove the huge flashing "Game Ended" text when a game is completed. This is just annoying as all get out.

I REALLY appreciate the new game, but it sure seems like a step backwards in many areas. You had all this time to upgrade the game, but you left out terrain info? And you removed detailed/expert settings? I It makes no sense. Why lessen the game from what it was, when you are upgrading it?!?
Aye. I played the old version for a bit after getting it the day before the upgrade. I do understand that they are turning the UI in to the tablet UI for their plan to be released on the iOS/Android. I do hope we don't have to wait forever for the editor and the terrain information. I am completely disappointed that the UI looks way worst than before plus the lack of the view of the miniature for the unit in the game and DAG creation (isn't the game wanting to stick to its tabletop roots and we should see the figures?). The battle group information looks like random information to a newcomer because it is just put together instead of labeling what each figure on the info screen represent. All in all I love the gameplay but it is ruined by the other things in the game. I must say that they should learn from Pike and Shot and Sengoku Jidai. Those games actually led me to shell out $180 AUD to get the game and its expansions but I feel that the $65 AUD I spent on Sengoku Jidai gave me more than my money's worth plus they have the random skirmish generator, UI that may look like it is made for table but doesn't look bad on PC and the included Field of Glory PDFs. But this is just my 2 cents and I don't want to highjack this thread.

Ulysisgrunt
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by Ulysisgrunt » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:27 am

This is a dreadful product and not ready to have been released.
1)The animation is clunky, ugly and primitive.
2)It is very, very slow to download PBEM games; the PBEM game is listed on my screen, I press they play button, and nothing happens.
3)Why does the morale of units not appear with the unit?
The 'gauzy' overlays on various screen are unnecessary and hard to read.
Danny Weitz
California
What? Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

Ulysisgrunt
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by Ulysisgrunt » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:42 am

4)Get rid of the annoying FLASHING REPLAY!!!!!!

alzado_77
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by alzado_77 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:48 am

Ulysisgrunt wrote:This is a dreadful product and not ready to have been released.
2)It is very, very slow to download PBEM games; the PBEM game is listed on my screen, I press they play button, and nothing happens.
Danny Weitz
California
I haven't installed the new version yet, and the comments so far haven't persuaded me to do so.

Slitherine claim to have a unified login system, but they don't. I still use my old p/w to get into PBEM and this forum. So I have doubts about the 'unity' of the new game as a result.

I feel they should continue to support the original game if there is a demand for it - after all the expansions were all purchased on the basis of that game.

I look forward to reading about some positive experiences of the new version - but at present I'm going to hold fire until that happens - which means not installing the new version or buying any more expansion packs.

cothyso
NewRoSoft
NewRoSoft

Post by cothyso » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:07 am

Ulysisgrunt wrote:This is a dreadful product and not ready to have been released.
Danny Weitz
California
I get it you're new to the FoG/FoG(RB/FoG(U), so thank you for your support!

1) The animations are exactly the same as in the old FoG(RB) - ie all the units are sliding along the board. It was always like so and at no point it was stated that the new FoG(U) will have any kind of other animations.
2) The slow download speed of PBEM games has nothing to do with the FoG(U) game, but with your internet connection speed and quality, and maybe with the PBEM++ server's load (but that would hardly be the case).
3) There FoG tabletop doesn't have a morale system, the old FOG(RB) didn't had a morale system and therefore the new FoG(U) couldn't have one (at least not yet). FoG units are using cohesion and terrain cohesion for simulating unit's ability and will to stay and fight, and unit's performance in doing so.
Last edited by cothyso on Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

cothyso
NewRoSoft
NewRoSoft

Post by cothyso » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:19 am

FroBodine wrote:So, you put out an upgrade to the game, but you take away some very important detailed information? I don't understand that at all. Who is a casual user who plays this game? Anyone? Bueller?

FoG(U) has for the most part of the beta a full detailed info present on the GUI. The detailed info present on the screen was limited down in order to not be overwhelming for the newly coming (rather than casual as I've not so clearly mentioned before) players. The detailed info is still in there as an option, jut not exposed as so in the settings interface yet (due to the extremely limited development resources).

The terrain info was never planned to be cut, I just haven't felt the need for it during the development, as the terrain is clearly distinguishable in the empty hexes, and only added the terrain info as text for the BG occupied ones. I was always planned to get it in at some point, but I never had the chance to do it yet (again, due to the extremely limited development resources).
FroBodine wrote:Also - please remove the huge flashing "Game Ended" text when a game is completed. This is just annoying as all get out.
Ulysisgrunt wrote:4)Get rid of the annoying FLASHING REPLAY!!!!!!
They will be made optional (ie I will add the possibility to disable them from the settings).

FroBodine
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by FroBodine » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:01 pm

Yeah, that's another thing that is sorely missing . . . the absence of the unit graphics in the army creator. I find the new army creator horribly hard to read. The rows are so long and spread out and the interface where you add or subtract units is so far away from the actual name of the units that you are constantly having scan left and right just to make sure you are clicking on the right row.

For me, the game has lost all it's charm. I'll be uninstalling it and playing the older versions. Thank you for the update, but no thanks.

Will all the expansions, including the two brand new ones, continue to work with the older, original version of the game, please?

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:15 pm

FroBodine wrote:For me, the game has lost all it's charm. I'll be uninstalling it and playing the older versions. Thank you for the update, but no thanks.
I think we all have to give the new version a chance. It has only just come out and the feedback has only just started. For those of us who have been playing the game a long time (often around 5 years) I think we have to accept that the older game is passing now and a new one is in its earliest stages of development. It is very easy to cry "bug" when the reality is that the new version was never going to be exactly the same as the original game.

So we definitely need to have some patience and we can help the developers at Newrosoft and Slitherine by asking our questions and making our observations over the next few months so that any initial problems can be resolved quickly. Once we get beyond this "awkward period" the future for the game looks very promising indeed.

alzado_77
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by alzado_77 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:32 pm

stockwellpete wrote:
FroBodine wrote:For me, the game has lost all it's charm. I'll be uninstalling it and playing the older versions. Thank you for the update, but no thanks.
I think we all have to give the new version a chance. It has only just come out and the feedback has only just started. For those of us who have been playing the game a long time (often around 5 years) I think we have to accept that the older game is passing now and a new one is in its earliest stages of development. It is very easy to cry "bug" when the reality is that the new version was never going to be exactly the same as the original game.

So we definitely need to have some patience and we can help the developers at Newrosoft and Slitherine by asking our questions and making our observations over the next few months so that any initial problems can be resolved quickly. Once we get beyond this "awkward period" the future for the game looks very promising indeed.
Tbh I think you're bending over too far backwards to be understanding Pete. This version has been a long time in development and it should be in 99% perfect working order - just like any other device or service you would buy. Why should we have to work through all the bugs with the devs over an indefinite future period? The fact that there already two new expansions, for which you have to pay, attached to an imperfect new engine only exacerbates the problem.

We paid over our money a long time ago (around £200 IIRC for all the expansions) and I for one would prefer to be able to continue playing the old version, for now at least.

FroBodine
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by FroBodine » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:35 pm

This makes sense, and thank you for being the voice of reason. If Slitherine/Matrix would have said up front that this new version is in the early stages of development, than all would have been fine.

But, they didn't. They marketed it as a completely remade version with a bunch of enhancements and improvements. They did not mention that it was still in development, and there was some content still to be added, and that it was basically remade to cater to the mobile platform, with some features removed for an unknown reason because the developer didn't feel the need to add them yet.

That's what frustrates me.

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:43 pm

alzado_77 wrote:
Tbh I think you're bending over too far backwards to be understanding Pete. This version has been a long time in development and it should be in 99% perfect working order - just like any other device or service you would buy. Why should we have to work through all the bugs with the devs over an indefinite future period? The fact that there already two new expansions, for which you have to pay, attached to an imperfect new engine only exacerbates the problem.

We paid over our money a long time ago (around £200 IIRC for all the expansions) and I for one would prefer to be able to continue playing the old version, for now at least.
Maybe Nick, but I think the money that I have spent on FOG has probably been the best money that i have ever spent on anything in my 60+ years. I don't know how many hours of entertainment I have had - certainly hundreds, maybe even a thousand or two! So I am inclined to be patient. For new players the sentiments may well be different and they will most likely expect a game in more or less full working order. If we think things are wrong then we should say so (I have done this myself today) but the overall trajectory of the game is upwards now. I did feel at one stage then the end of the road had arrived but not any more. I am sure many of the things being identified now will be quickly remedied.

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:45 pm

FroBodine wrote:This makes sense, and thank you for being the voice of reason. If Slitherine/Matrix would have said up front that this new version is in the early stages of development, than all would have been fine.

But, they didn't. They marketed it as a completely remade version with a bunch of enhancements and improvements. They did not mention that it was still in development, and there was some content still to be added, and that it was basically remade to cater to the mobile platform, with some features removed for an unknown reason because the developer didn't feel the need to add them yet.

That's what frustrates me.
Yes, I think you have a point here and hopefully someone from Slitherine can answer it for you.

Return to “Field of Glory Digital”