My problems with the new edition.

PC/Mac : Digital version of the popular tabletop gaming system. Fight battles on your desktop in single and mutiplayer!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, FoG PC Moderator, NewRoSoft

FroBodine
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Re: My problems with the new edition.

Post by FroBodine »

My apologies if these issues have already been brought up. This thread is getting so huge, and there are so many issues with this game, that I may have overlooked it. I have been reading most everything in here very carefully. Anyway . . .

1. The scenario selection screen is missing the number of battlegroups, e.g. High (82 battlegroups) that the original version has. The new version would just say "High", which is much less useful.

2. Also - the scenario selection screen is missing the graphical representation of the battle setup, showing the green and red dots for where the armies are initially placed.

Why would these very important things be removed? Does the developer plan to put them back in very soon?
scaz
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by scaz »

Ulysisgrunt wrote:This is a dreadful product and not ready to have been released.
1)The animation is clunky, ugly and primitive.
2)It is very, very slow to download PBEM games; the PBEM game is listed on my screen, I press they play button, and nothing happens.
3)Why does the morale of units not appear with the unit?
The 'gauzy' overlays on various screen are unnecessary and hard to read.
Danny Weitz
California
I agree with your 1st point. The graphics seem to have taken a step backwards. I compared them to the old release and the "figures" were actually a lot sharper in the old version. In the new version, they get very pixelated when you zoom in. The zoom in in the old version was still pretty sharp.

The GUI doesn't thrill me either, but if it means the game will be released for the Ipad, I can work with it.

One good point is that the game is very easy to install with all of the addons.
scaz

Post by scaz »

stinno wrote:This is not an improvement. Graphics look terrible, i dont like it at all. This new edition will kill this game. I cant even be bothered playing it.
I agree. The graphics took a big step backwards, especially when you zoom in.
MikeMarchant
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by MikeMarchant »

Interesting point about the graphics; on my system the graphics look great (better than the old version) even when zoomed in maximumly.

Best Wishes

Mike
Cablenexus
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Cablenexus »

MikeMarchant wrote:Interesting point about the graphics; on my system the graphics look great (better than the old version) even when zoomed in maximumly.

Best Wishes

Mike
Are you able to make a screen comparisson like this one?

https://goo.gl/photos/7b5vyoejHZacedhD8

The graphics looks absolutely terrible compared to the original version on my system (1680 x 1050 resolution AMD R7 2 GB, Win 10 64bit, 8GB).

Difference in graphics are:

- If detailed combat info and minimap is open they take about 25% of the screen. In the olde version they where part of the main UI and took only a small part of the screen.

- The terrain textures uses a different way of lightning so they appear less clear and less bright on my screen. The texture used is the same but the lightening makes the texture look very dark/grey.

- The unit status indicators (the small white images) are verry pixelated. Not only when zoom in completely but also when zoom out. When zoomed out they are barely visible. This is because the edges of those symbols aren't anti aliased by the engine and thus have very rough corners.

- The terrain is broken because some z buffer problems. When rotating the map all objects (fields, bushes etc) images are cut in half on some systems.

- The unit pictures are very pixelated when zooming in. It's just like there aren't any anti aliasing settings applied. When zoom in there is no smoothness for them and they look like 20 year old pixelated images.

- The transparant images (shadow, fog of war, unit roate symbol etc etc) don't have smooth edges, don't have correct transparancy and look very bad compared to the previous game.

- Shooter arc s are missing and movement indicator/unit indicator colors on the texture are very user unfriendly. (Green on green, soft red on soft green etc etc).

- Other images like mountains, trees etc very pixelated.

- Rotation of units isn't animated anymore.
MikeMarchant

Post by MikeMarchant »

I don't know how to do the comparison that you did in your earlier post, but I should say that I was only looking at how the figures and the terrain appeared in the game, zoomed in, zoomed out and in between (what I understood 'graphics' to mean), I wasn't considering rotating the map or unit animations or the absence of shooting arcs and so on.

Best Wishes

Mike
Cablenexus
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Cablenexus »

MikeMarchant wrote:I don't know how to do the comparison that you did in your earlier post, but I should say that I was only looking at how the figures and the terrain appeared in the game, zoomed in, zoomed out and in between (what I understood 'graphics' to mean), I wasn't considering rotating the map or unit animations or the absence of shooting arcs and so on.

Best Wishes

Mike
Figures and terrain are very pixelated both zoomed in and zoomed out. Besides from missing mouseover info, missing icons (the red arrow, the yellow triangle) all units seems to be "disrupted" at turn start?

https://goo.gl/photos/ZFmTSRz2UVXZpgjU6
oldbear1962
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by oldbear1962 »

Well. I sat. I waited. I deliberately didn't download the new version on Day One because I suspected the worst. That after ALL THIS TIME they would release a sub-standard product. Well, they have. I was one of the naysayers from the outset. Not because I wanted the game to fail. Au contraire, I used to love the game and what I wanted was something more refined and appropriate to the decade we are currently living in. Now though I find myself going back to Pike & Shot and I will wait until RBS designs his new version on that engine. Would I prefer to see renditions of nicely painted Essex minis? Damned right. But that ain't the way it's going to end. I certainly won't be wasting any money on the new DLC content, even though I would have bought it instantly back in the day like I did all the other expansions. This is ending just as I expected, and I take no satisfaction from one of the few occasions in life when I have turned out to be right. None at all.
PnzGren
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by PnzGren »

Hey Old Bear, The game is still good. It is not as pretty as the old one, has a few bugs still...but it is still the ol' Field of Glory battles. And has some better rules and procedures like how the routing works. Play it you will like it. Toten
paulmcneil

Post by paulmcneil »

I wish that was the case PnzGren, unfortunately I've got about 20 games just hanging at different points of play. No messages, no nothing, just in limbo.

It's not just the masses of bugs.

Some of the changes are dreadful, especially the evade moves, cavalry seem to make a point of rupturing through any nearby unit, sometimes routing them and causing a chain reaction, in one game a single unit evading destroyed a whole wing of an army I was using, due to this "chain reaction" issue. May as well just line up pikes from one side of the screen to the other, no point using cavalry armies any more.

Cavalry can't fire over intervening units any more, even at enemy uphill, it really hasn't been tested out properly.
Paul McNeil
NikiforosFokas
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by NikiforosFokas »

PnzGren wrote: And has some better rules and procedures like how the routing works.
Sarcasm??
For Byzantium!!
PnzGren

Post by PnzGren »

Sorry not sarcasm, but too early of an assessment: The game "hangs up", I have melee fights without the units next to each other ("spooky action at a distance"), I have had two units in the same hex.... I was totally wrong...this game can not be played....after two years...this is pitiful..
FroBodine
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by FroBodine »

And yet, we still have not heard a peep from the developers, and nothing has been fixed since it released.

What is going on with this game?
TDefender
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by TDefender »

1.81 works great , waiting for the brand new FoG 2 in the coming year(s) . FoG unity ? What's that? :roll: :wink:

Return to “Field of Glory Digital”