My problems with the new edition.

PC/Mac : Digital version of the popular tabletop gaming system. Fight battles on your desktop in single and mutiplayer!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, NewRoSoft, FoG PC Moderator

mschund
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Re: My problems with the new edition.

Post by mschund »

My game just froze up during the replay portion of my opponent's move after four or five of his units moved... as an aside, I prefer the skip replay option, but this version does not seem to provide that or am I missing something... Mike
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

mschund wrote:My game just froze up during the replay portion of my opponent's move after four or five of his units moved... as an aside, I prefer the skip replay option, but this version does not seem to provide that or am I missing something... Mike
No, I have not been able to avoid the replays either. it is very frustrating all round at the moment.

Edit: There is a "Skip to End" button that is inactive at the moment that might be the answer when activated. There are also mysterious "Play Next" and "Change Mode" buttons and I don't know what they are for.
Towerbooks3192
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Towerbooks3192 »

stockwellpete wrote:
mschund wrote:My game just froze up during the replay portion of my opponent's move after four or five of his units moved... as an aside, I prefer the skip replay option, but this version does not seem to provide that or am I missing something... Mike
No, I have not been able to avoid the replays either. it is very frustrating all round at the moment.
Replays? is this just a multiplayer thing or something?
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

Towerbooks3192 wrote: Replays? is this just a multiplayer thing or something?
Yes, that's right.
FroBodine
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by FroBodine »

And those two options need to be rewritten in plain English. Right now they just sound like some programmer code.
Towerbooks3192
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Towerbooks3192 »

Ok. Another crash after picking a map off DAG battle. I want to love the new version but it is not letting me love it. I wish a patch comes soon.
eddieballgame
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by eddieballgame »

As a rookie to this excellent program my opinion doesn't carry much wait. I will say, the latest version does offer one feature which I felt was mandatory in the original.
The ability to allow "DAG" armies to fight each in "hotseat".
A friend of mine & I like to create armies to compete via "hotseat" & using Team Viewer allows us to play via the internet.
paulmcneil
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by paulmcneil »

So I now have 5 games sitting in my play list for my turn that won't open, and one game that hangs halfway through the replay. Not good.

I used to run a Commercial software company, which was grown from 5 people to a sale for $37m in 2007 so I think I know what I'm talking about here. I would strongly suggest that you take the new version off your web page for purchase, as I think you may end up doing Slitherine's reputation some irreparable harm if you get a lot of customers who are new to the game and don't have the tolerance of the old lags like me who have goodwill towards slitherine based on the old version of FoG.

I'd be happy to give some advice on meeting release deadlines and customer expectations if that would help, feel free to contact me on paulmcneil@tactica.org.uk
Paul McNeil
alzado_77
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by alzado_77 »

paulmcneil wrote:So I now have 5 games sitting in my play list for my turn that won't open, and one game that hangs halfway through the replay. Not good.

I used to run a Commercial software company, which was grown from 5 people to a sale for $37m in 2007 so I think I know what I'm talking about here. I would strongly suggest that you take the new version off your web page for purchase, as I think you may end up doing Slitherine's reputation some irreparable harm if you get a lot of customers who are new to the game and don't have the tolerance of the old lags like me who have goodwill towards slitherine based on the old version of FoG.

I'd be happy to give some advice on meeting release deadlines and customer expectations if that would help, feel free to contact me on paulmcneil@tactica.org.uk
Good point Paul, and I hope they take you up on your kind offer.

Having read Pete's long list of issues I too feel that Slitherine should take the game off the market until they are all fixed.
ulysisgrunt
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Post by ulysisgrunt »

Excellent suggestion: Pull it!
Danny Weitz
What? Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!
Cablenexus
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Cablenexus »

My advice should be to stop selling the current version as a finished product. It's not.
In terms of quality it's in early beta state imho and so you should release the game as Early Access title for them who want to support development and help the dev hunting bugs.
NikiforosFokas

Post by NikiforosFokas »

Or at least they have to remove the "Reviews-From the Press" in the shop information of the new FOG.For sure nobody would call the current form of the game " Fun, fast, and smooth game play. Great multi-player feature.".
For Byzantium!!
TJD
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by TJD »

I have to agree. This release was a mistake.
FroBodine
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by FroBodine »

Agreed.
Towerbooks3192
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Towerbooks3192 »

I wish they would have thought more about the release of the game. Didn't they work together with the community or something to prevent something like this happening. I am actually hoping to move forward from this since there has been some pretty good ideas in the new one ( Custom DAG vs Custom DAG! and random picking of the book pool instead of picking a specific book). Now that there are a lot of complaints about the release, can we please hear from any of the devs or matrix if they are gonna be fixed soon or in a few years or they are just gonna release the lost scroll then let the game die?
Cablenexus
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Cablenexus »

I wish the devs and or Matrix/Slitherine can at least make a statement and answer some questions because there I have much consfusion now.

- The old game ( bought it full price + all DLC two month ago) was working perfect for me. I really need to be able to download the game and DLC I bought again when I need the files. There was no warning or info on the storepage that I bought a discontinued product only two month ago.

- The new game don't work for me on my system setup. Is the support end when you say sorry it is an AMD driver problem, while the dev admitted he only tested the gold release on an nvidia system?

https://goo.gl/photos/7b5vyoejHZacedhD8

- Are picture examples, terrain mouseovers, picture examples in DAG, picture and terrain examples on map coming back?

- When is the manual finished to look into detail what is all changed? As a new player I have just two completely different games and a manual for just one of them (the obsolete one).

- Are there more people testing and developing the game now since it's released? I like when Slitherine developers and/or testers participate in the forum to help answering questions.

- Can you convert the new DLC to the old version as well? It seems I have two unfinished products in my library now because the original FOG still shows the new "wolves" DLC in the main screen while I'm unable to activate it in the old version.

- Isn't it better to cancel this release and re release the game seperate from the original version as an EA product here and on Steam?

Thank you for all support.
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

Towerbooks3192 wrote:I wish they would have thought more about the release of the game. Didn't they work together with the community or something to prevent something like this happening. I am actually hoping to move forward from this since there has been some pretty good ideas in the new one ( Custom DAG vs Custom DAG! and random picking of the book pool instead of picking a specific book). Now that there are a lot of complaints about the release, can we please hear from any of the devs or matrix if they are gonna be fixed soon or in a few years or they are just gonna release the lost scroll then let the game die?
Slitherine are responsible for the game, not Matrix. The developer of the game (just one person) is part of a company called Neurosoft and he is working on the issues now as we raise them. So no-one is going to let the game die. I am hoping that Slitherine will have something to say to us all in due course.
alzado_77
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by alzado_77 »

Hi Pete.

Bearing in mind Cablenexus' issue above, it would be better if they pulled the product off the market to avoid anyone else having the same problem. He only bought the 'full monty' old edition two months ago but cannot now play either version!

Take the game back to the beta-testing stage where it belongs and fix the issues, keep the old version running at least until the fixes have been made.

If Slitherine can produce the two new expansions for the old game in the meantime, I for one will happily buy them (at a tenner a piece) :D
TJD

Post by TJD »

alzado_77 wrote:Hi Pete.

Take the game back to the beta-testing stage where it belongs and fix the issues, keep the old version running at least until the fixes have been made.
Wasn't the game in beta since forever? The process clearly failed and after all this time it's hard to believe more of the same will be of value.
Towerbooks3192
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Towerbooks3192 »

stockwellpete wrote:
Towerbooks3192 wrote:I wish they would have thought more about the release of the game. Didn't they work together with the community or something to prevent something like this happening. I am actually hoping to move forward from this since there has been some pretty good ideas in the new one ( Custom DAG vs Custom DAG! and random picking of the book pool instead of picking a specific book). Now that there are a lot of complaints about the release, can we please hear from any of the devs or matrix if they are gonna be fixed soon or in a few years or they are just gonna release the lost scroll then let the game die?
Slitherine are responsible for the game, not Matrix. The developer of the game (just one person) is part of a company called Neurosoft and he is working on the issues now as we raise them. So no-one is going to let the game die. I am hoping that Slitherine will have something to say to us all in due course.
Oh, sorry. I discovered matrix first then I never knew they and slitherine were gonna merge or something or slitherine is the main thing so I always refer to it as matrix and use them interchangeably since I do my purchases and usually stalk the forum on matrix. I really hope that they are going to continue working on it or at least finish the last scrolls and release the game in good working condition. I guess this wouldn't have happened to Slitherine if Dumbledore or Snape was still around XD.

On a serious note, I do wish they will fix this and I guess if they can improve the AI (unlock that personality thing and handicap thing) and improve the AI deployment or better yet add a new feature where you can more or less have a default deployment for your custom armies, add back the BG figure view on the mouse over and especially in DAG, and put the game in a stable state then I would be happy. It is just disappointing that I bought the game plus all expansions very very recently (day before release for the base game and all the expansions on release) only to be greeted by this. I don't have any complaints about the game mechanics despite being pretty much a newbie since I am kinda familiar to the system but I guess I have every right to feel so completely and utterly disappointed because of the way things are handled and the sorry state of the game.

Return to “Field of Glory Digital”