FoG(U) Update #36

PC/Mac : Digital version of the popular tabletop gaming system. Fight battles on your desktop in single and mutiplayer!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, FoG PC Moderator, NewRoSoft

Cunningcairn
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Re: FoG(U) Update #34

Post by Cunningcairn »

fogman wrote:well, the publisher has cut loose the developer who at this point is working on it in his spare time. Truth is, there is little incentive for him to continue: the number of players has shrunk to insignificance. Fog (U) had a future 4 years ago, when it was supposed to come out. Now it has none. Personally, Fog (RB) will continue to reside on my hard drive to the exclusion of Fog (U). I will wait and see how Fog II pans out but I doubt it will replace its predecessor: it doesn't have the breadth of time periods (yet) and it's played on squares, which is a major issue for me (that turned me off Pike and Shot); also I'm now on Mac...
I agree with you. FOG2 will not replace the original version and in my opinion is a step backwards.
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

Cunningcairn wrote:I agree with you. FOG2 will not replace the original version and in my opinion is a step backwards.
I would have to disagree with you there, Martin. I think FOG2 represents a major step forward from FOG1 in many respects and it will do very well indeed. FOG1 was a great game that held my attention for many years but I won't be going back to it once FOG2 is released. :wink:
Cablenexus
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Cablenexus »

stockwellpete wrote:
Cunningcairn wrote:I agree with you. FOG2 will not replace the original version and in my opinion is a step backwards.
I would have to disagree with you there, Martin. I think FOG2 represents a major step forward from FOG1 in many respects and it will do very well indeed. FOG1 was a great game that held my attention for many years but I won't be going back to it once FOG2 is released. :wink:
I agree with you on this one and FOG II will be in my library seconds after release.

But still I think and expect some support for the older titles as well. Not only for myself, but for the community as a whole.
I think Slitherine have to make clear to us what's happening to FOG Original and FOG Unity and to answer some community questions. I don't blame them, their intention was good, but it's a mess now.

For example:

- The original FOG is a brilliant game even works flawless on Windows 10. But in the store page you can only find information about FOG Unity and the screenshots shown are for FOG Unity as well.
I think they can better reset everything back to the original FOG and offers the broken (sorry to say) FOG Unity as an experimental extra for those who want to experiment.

- The manual that comes with the current FOG Unity is still the same manual as for the original FOG and does not match the new Unity engine. Isn't updated for Unity and info in the manual is not correct for the Unity version.

- The two latest expansions only works in the new Unity version, which makes them obsolete since the Unity version isn't finished and updated any longer (or will it be in the future?).

- The forums for FOG are a mess right now. FOG Original, FOG Unity, FOG Unity Beta and Alpha all have different threads and info and everyone is just choosing a forum where to post. Make at least a different entry for FOG Original and FOG Unity. It's absolutely confusing now for support.

- Inform us if the Unity version is still in development or is the project ended? I reprted a major amount of bugs last year, but it doesn't seem the info is actually needed?

- The last version of FOG Unity download link is broken. And exactly that is the version where at least the units are sharp and most of the mechanism work. It's not available anymore. Why?

I'm not angry. I'm not sad. I just want to give my opinion as you can see in what I write and hope Slitherine will make a choice of how to handle this situation.
Thanks in advance!
Cablenexus
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Cablenexus »

Vargas78 wrote:It appears I'm not entitled to a coupon. But i'm interested in trying out the lastest beta build. The link to it dated 31st July doesn't seem to be working though. What/when is the last downloadable beta from?
I have the latest version on my HDD (FoG_v2.6.00.1045), but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to share it. If someone from Slitherine (VPAULUS?) answered my previous post I will be able to help you out by sharing it in Google or something else.
fogman
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Post by fogman »

Fog 1 and 2 aren't mutually exclusive. they are completely different games. what are you gonna do if you want to ride with the mongol hordes then switch to showering the french with arrows ? play on hexagons? have a quick game on an old computer, or mac? the hardware requirements and bandwidth for fog 1 are so insignificant that it would cost nothing for slitherine to maintain mp indefinitely. and software wise, the program runs pretty much on anything. and there's something about painted figures...
DonCzirr
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by DonCzirr »

Hmmm - the Developer Dan - seems to be MIA since Aug 02 ?

Hope he did not give up.

I'd like to see the Unity port of this to iPAD at some point.
Man schlägt jemanden mit der Faust und nicht mit gespreizten Fingern !

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100032812112896
KeathZerstorer
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by KeathZerstorer »

So, will there be more updates for FoG 1? Or we gonna still have unfinished version of it, without editor and other stuff?
Just wonder.
Micha63
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by Micha63 »

I think since FOG 2 is out the interest in Fog 1 is Zero , unfortunately. And so we will see no more updates anymore,maybe.
cothyso
NewRoSoft
NewRoSoft

FoG(U) Update #35

Post by cothyso »

Gentlemen,

Back from the dead :)

Cheers,
Dan Antonescu
Micha63

Re: FoG(U) Update #35

Post by Micha63 »

cothyso wrote:Gentlemen,

Cheers,
Dan Antonescu
Hello, and wellcome back. To have you back are the greatest News i can imagine.
DonCzirr

Post by DonCzirr »

Yes - welcome back !

With your return, the dream of FOG on mobile is not yet dead !

My iPAD is flickering with joy ....
Man schlägt jemanden mit der Faust und nicht mit gespreizten Fingern !

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100032812112896
KeathZerstorer

Post by KeathZerstorer »

cothyso wrote:Gentlemen,

Cheers,
Dan Antonescu
Welcome back, Dan!

So glad to see you :D And hope you will be able to fix a naxty bug in DAG battles, where map selection screen is empty (yeah, about bugs right from start... where are my manners)!
cothyso
NewRoSoft
NewRoSoft

Post by cothyso »

If I understood correctly, that's already fixed
cothyso wrote:I've stared this week, the project's engine to the latest Unity 2017.3.1f1 version (revision 1045 was on Unity 2017.1.0f3) and also changing the development IDE from Mono Develop to Visual Studio. I am also planning to try the new Unity 2018 and see what benefits might bring to the FoG(U)'s game engine. I've fixed all the code problems caused by porting the project to the latest Unity version (mainly some nasty problems dropdown lists related), and I've also discovered and fixed a DAG SP game setting problem causing a crash when trying to pick up a different map setting for it.
KeathZerstorer

Post by KeathZerstorer »

cothyso wrote:If I understood correctly, that's already fixed
cothyso wrote:I've stared this week, the project's engine to the latest Unity 2017.3.1f1 version (revision 1045 was on Unity 2017.1.0f3) and also changing the development IDE from Mono Develop to Visual Studio. I am also planning to try the new Unity 2018 and see what benefits might bring to the FoG(U)'s game engine. I've fixed all the code problems caused by porting the project to the latest Unity version (mainly some nasty problems dropdown lists related), and I've also discovered and fixed a DAG SP game setting problem causing a crash when trying to pick up a different map setting for it.
It seems so, thank you Dan! I just missed the last line. Then hope to see the new patch soon! :D
KeathZerstorer

Post by KeathZerstorer »

Any news, Dan?
cothyso
NewRoSoft
NewRoSoft

FoG(U) Update #36

Post by cothyso »

Gentlemen,