Wishes/improv. (for Public To-Do List for PipFromSlitherine)

PC : Battle Academy is a turn based tactical WWII game with almost limitless modding opportnuities.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators, Slitherine Core, BA Moderators

enric
Brigadier-General - 8.8 cm Pak 43/41

Wishes/improv. (for Public To-Do List for PipFromSlitherine)

Post by enric » Fri May 04, 2012 9:32 am

On the already heavy list of to-do's that Pip has, I'll like to open a few more suggestions :D and ask everybody to add theirs or vote for priorities.
  • A overal look at what you have
    A window with a list of all frienly units in the current scenario, their status, morale, experience, shots, etc. Possibility to select a unit and go (double click will be perfect) to the play window with the unit selected.
  • What will come in reinforcements
    List of friendly units expected as reinforcement, turn and place where will enter the scenario.
  • Replay last turn
    BA is a strategy game, the player should be able to begin the turn and "see" the whole situation, as a chess game. When you play MP you play a little blind. For exemple, in my turn I see fire from a mortar in a nearby forest, or a moving infantry enter a building, next turn I'll go for them, but the opponent takes 3-5 days to answer, I'm playing about 5-6 games, when I retook that scenario a do not remember where I saw the inf., the mortar o even I do not remember if the mortar was seen in this scenario?
    A way to identify a tile (x;y) will help. (writing down in a peace of paper)
    And the definitive: the ability to review the whole last turn.
    BA shows now, when you load a MP game, the opponent last turn but only once and you can not move easily around the map during replay. The improvement should allow to see also your own last turn, and to be able to repeat it and stop, like a movie player (<< < || > >>)
  • A way to know the name of the scenario being played
    This seems stupid but many times I do not remember the name, and in the turn update mail many times the name is not the real name, is the file name.
  • Some windows open/closes with a shortcut key
    Escape key open and closes the save games window, "j" the mini map, "m" the top view, "1" show/hides the LOF, why casualties (used frecuently) do not have that property?

pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Wishes/improv. (for Public To-Do List for PipFromSlither

Post by pipfromslitherine » Fri May 04, 2012 3:13 pm

All good stuff - some easier to implement than others ;).

Most are on the tasklist already, but I will add on the new ones. We are working pretty much constantly to improve the game and these kind of suggestions are very welcome.

Cheers

Pip

Slowbius
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Slowbius » Fri May 04, 2012 6:24 pm

Hi Pip,

Any idea when multiplayer force selection will be ready for release?

pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine » Fri May 04, 2012 7:16 pm

It's in now. We have the get it tested and some maps built and balanced. This update has taken longer than I had hoped, some nasty bugs that took a long time to track down, and a lot of iPad memory work to deal with a small number of people having issues.

I'm aiming to get a PC build to the team for early next week and hopefully we can start a PC beta the week after.

Cheers

Pip

Slowbius
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Slowbius » Fri May 04, 2012 7:35 pm

That's good news - thanks for your hard work!

khill9702
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by khill9702 » Sun May 06, 2012 4:52 am

Pip, I'm sure many people have mentioned it already, but I still can see when my opponent promotes a hidden unit since the star animation is visible. Just curious about that issue....and on a lighter note...if only they could clone Pip and double his already sky high productivity!

Slowbius
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Slowbius » Sun May 06, 2012 8:08 am

I still can see when my opponent promotes a hidden unit since the star animation is visible
Yes I've noticed that too. Surely it's not a design feature because I tend to promote units after they've moved which of course reveals their position.

MrsWargamer
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by MrsWargamer » Sun May 06, 2012 8:50 pm

What will come in reinforcements
List of friendly units expected as reinforcement, turn and place where will enter the scenario.

I will support this notion. Until you have played a scenario to death you always end up making moves that you would NOT have made had you but known 'next turn this shows up'. In real life you usually have some idea of what might be out there on hand to be available.

etz1972
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by etz1972 » Sun May 06, 2012 11:41 pm

Hi all, new to this great game and slowly trying to understand the mechanics. What about adding some visible indication on your hidden units? I find a little confusing not knowing whether my own units have been spotted or not... Of course in real life combat you would only know if you're shot at , but that can also be calculated i.e. visual contact calculation would determine who is spotted first or both...
Would that break the game?

As a newb, I would find extremely helpful to see a whole replay of my own mp games with no fow...! Would that give away too much of the opponent's strategy? Perhaps could be optional setting?

Thanks again for a really nice strat game on ipad!

Cheers,
Dav

pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine » Mon May 07, 2012 2:57 pm

Full game replays are also on the wishlist from players, but it's a pretty large task.

I'll add some UI to show if units are spotted to the task list. As we tell you when you have been spotted, it wouldn't be new information.

Cheers

Pip

enric

Post by enric » Fri May 18, 2012 7:36 pm

What about a window with a list of all units (not scenario unit) where you can select a unit and see every attribute, icon, availability years, etc (like Steel Panthers WW).

vakarr
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Post by vakarr » Tue May 22, 2012 5:42 am

On the ipad, would like to see:

1. The tutorial campaign does not mention how to deselect units - that is very important and should be included
2. The minimap is too small and it should be possible to remove, move, or enlarge it
3. more campaigns - interesting to see "what-if" scenarios included!
4. There's a marvelous selection of vehicles available but it it would be nice if there maybe a little more variety in the early war vehicles such as the Close Support versions of British tanks
5. in the SeaLion campaign, British infantry and machine guns can't shoot at German mobile flak vehicles - the majority of such vehicles were unarmoured, so this could be allowed. Did the Vickers have an armour piercing round? I don't think so, but you should still be able to suppress (button) a tank with machine gun fire and/or sufficient rifle fire
6. I'm not sure what order the units are displayed when you hit the "next unit" button but it would be great if the units were displayed either in order of action points available or from the top to the bottom of the screen.

pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine » Tue May 22, 2012 3:18 pm

1 - the tutorial does indeed mention tapping the unit info panel to deselect, in the very first message that comes up :). It might be we should reiterate it later in the tutorial.
2 - there is an option in the options screen to hide the minimap.
3 - we're working on more campaigns :). They take a lot of design and balancing work. And there are so many ideas!
4 - interesting.
5 - not sure on this one. Someone with more indepth knowledge of the units would need to speak to it. I think it's a subtle point as to whether you should be able to suppress something that you cannot actually hurt.
6 - they are displayed in their 'internal' order. We could make it something else, but as it is the order should always be consistent.

Thanks for the feedback :).

Cheers

Pip

vakarr

Post by vakarr » Fri May 25, 2012 3:20 am

to be precise, at that stage of the war, only ten German half-tracked flak trucks were armoured (they were built for the invasion of Czechoslovakia), all the rest were no better armoured than the british AA truck which easily gets destroyed by anything. It was worthwhile shooting at at a tank with bullets because it made the tank commander duck inside and pull the hatch down - it was then "buttoned up" and not much could be seen from inside the tank.

enric

Post by enric » Mon May 28, 2012 9:11 am

• A friendly unit should be able to pass through tiles where there are a friendly unit.
    Seems illogical don't be able to pass through a friendly tile. The wiki says "The scale is abstracted. 1 tile is intended to represent 50-100m. 2 tiles about 200m,", so moving a tank through a infantry or inverse should not be a problem. Another think is, what happens if the unit is fired while passing through the occupied tile, maybe just stopping the unit, or wreck if killed, in the from tile

pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine » Mon May 28, 2012 2:50 pm

This would cause issues where (e.g.) a unit 'entered' a tile containing another unit, and was then fired on. Where does it stop? It cannot stop on a tile owned by another unit. If we somehow delay the attack, then there is an exploit where you can move units unhindered through 'chains' of other units.

It's something we are definitely thinking about, as it can sometimes be annoying having to wrangle units just to get them into the right places.

Cheers

Pip

enric

Post by enric » Mon May 28, 2012 4:21 pm

Well, we can say that only units that begin to move adjacent to a friendly unit may pass through.
In that way if fired on, and this even stops his move, it may return to his init tile.
Also it should have an AP penalization for that action. (be carefully with units in tile).

poop17
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by poop17 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:16 am

can generate a random map or Scenario

enric

Post by enric » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:40 am

• To be able to reorder the Accept challenge list in the MP, order by name, player or date

enric

Post by enric » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:40 pm

I see your list is near empty, do you need some additional work :D

btw, what is "1st Pass Mission Scripting"?

Return to “Battle Academy”