Help please re Sealing the Bulge scenario

PC : Battle Academy is a turn based tactical WWII game with almost limitless modding opportnuities.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators

johntindall
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Help please re Sealing the Bulge scenario

Post by johntindall » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:28 am

Hi everyone. BA is a great game and the AI can be nice and challenging.

I'm having serial fails in the 'sealing the bulge' scenario and would appreciate some tips. In my one dozen attempts so far, I've tried heavy flank to the HQ, heavy flank to the right, concentrated advance to the village and a left&right prong attack.

Help!

johntindall

Re: Help please re Sealing the Bulge scenario

Post by johntindall » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:53 am

Hmmm - nil replies after a week :oops: . Could that be because:
- I didn't ask nicely enough? (nah) :?
- Forum members are unhelpful or unsharing? (unlikely)
- Nobody else has cracked it? (possible, I guess :o )

I hope it's the last because I'll feel much better! Anyway, if you have a suggestion it'd be gratefully received.

Thanks for your time.

rf900
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by rf900 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:45 am

From what I remember it is a mission in which you end up with few units and there is a point that you think you cannot win. I would forget going heavy on the left HQ, it is an open area and it is heavily defended. Use bombardment to soften it, but take the central and right areas which are easier, then flank the HQ. At the end I think the AI gets some tanks, be patient with them hide and set ambushes as probably you will be low on forces.

mattymo
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by mattymo » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:15 pm

As usual with 88-mm guns, it's all about suppression. You have artillery at your disposal, I believe, but you'll need to use infantry and possibly vehicles after the 88 has used up all its action for a turn (note that there is, I believe, a "second wind" for spent tanks and artilleries if you approach too closely). And then avoiding the direct fire of the Tiger similarly while you flank it.

dkv
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by dkv » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:39 am

I registered just to answer this, after playing this 4 times in a row.
I found the center town impossible to directly assault, covered on the left by the HQ and on the right by the bunkered 88, with sight lines on the direct approach which really minimize the benefit of supporting armor.
I switched to a two-pronged assault. Two or three tanks and a few foot units with a halftrack can clear the right side of the river. The Germans only have Stug and multiple halftracks on this side. After you clear the first town and hill, send the foot soldiers, by vehicle, on a long run up the right border. They won't be seen and can get behind the mortar and 88 on the far hill with ease. Assault methodically and you can take them out. Use your surviving tanks to suppress the 88 at extreme range. After, be careful for some hidden light armor and a Marder in the corner of the center town after. After the 88, I continue sweeping around the border of the map, taking out the bunkered 75 and then taking the bridge. By this point I can link up with the bulk of my forces (or what's left of it), which has taken the HQ.

I send most of my resources to the left. I buy a calliope for its pinpoint bombardment ability. Start with B26 and artillery on the HQ on the first round. Clear the woods and avoid tangling with the stug in front of the center town. Send foot units up the left border. After waiting for a second B26/105 artillery bombardment, get the infantry close enough to "see" the areas where the 88 and 75 are dug in, pull your tanks up onto the hill, and suppress them. Use the calliope on the AT guns, then the mortar (find that it suppresses my armor at will) . After you take them out, either use infantry to slowly take the HQ. If you pull a tank in, it will get popped by the Tiger waiting on the road beyond.

You will get some reinforcements at some point which will help in taking out the Tiger and 2 Panthers. This is the most touch-and-go moment. Don't worry about enemies coming out of the center town- they don't.

I find the town easiest to take from the top and left (north and west). There's a lot more room for supporting armor.

If B26 or 105 is available, use it on the HQ or center town. Don't wait; those areas are loaded with infantry and the earlier they are reduced the better with will go in the end. By the time I get to the town they are below full strength and all my remained units are battle-hardened. A scout and a "scharfzschutze" make this an enjoyable end to the game.

The Germans don't have a ton of armor; King Tiger, 2 Panthers, 3 stugs, various Pumas and up-gunned half tracks. I try to minimize my stupid losses to their weaker units by being methodical so I have enough to take out the big three. That being said, the original tank destroyers never seem to make it that far.

johntindall

Post by johntindall » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:25 pm

Thanks dkv, that sounds very promising. I'll give it another go. Thanks for insights and time and effort in replying.

dkv

Post by dkv » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:29 am

I played again today (addiction, wife giving me dirty looks) and it actually hinges on that back right hill with the bunkered 88. Take that, and the center town opens up. I went nice and slow today and captured the back 5 flags in about three turns. The town and HQ were rubble piles by that time, and the big three tanks were actually easier to deal with in the more open territory in the back left corner.

gortwillsaveus
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by gortwillsaveus » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:43 pm

If you ever get really frustrated,..you can go to the Options menu,..and set the game to Easy Mode.
But,..if you're like me,..that essentially like you're giving up.

The Polish Hill scenario is also extremely difficult.

poop17
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by poop17 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:43 am

gortwillsaveus wrote:The Polish Hill scenario is also extremely difficult.
+1

johntindall

Post by johntindall » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:15 am

Some good help in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=87&t=36565

johntindall

Post by johntindall » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:08 am

Dkv's advice worked like a charm. Made it further than ever before and (just) captured all flags. Am now looking forward to trying it again (and again) to improve on my result.

Return to “Battle Academy”