Infantry tactics help needed

PC : Battle Academy is a turn based tactical WWII game with almost limitless modding opportnuities.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators

ddyates52
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Infantry tactics help needed

Post by ddyates52 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:38 pm

I must be missing something, I roll up a squad to assault another squad and do little damage. I've have players do the same and devastate me. I know about movement penalties but have seen other move max and smoke me. I played Squad Leader for many years and squad level miniatures, I must be missing something.

pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Infantry tactics help needed

Post by pipfromslitherine » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:04 pm

Are you talking about the Assault order, or just attacking using a normal attack?

I am sure there are many here able to give good infantry tactics advice! :)

Cheers

Pip

poop17
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by poop17 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:05 am

Hi, ddyates

From my experience,Suppress enemy infantry unit,then assault them.you will easy eliminate enemy.

Regards,
Tarroro

GottaLove88s
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Post by GottaLove88s » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:35 am

ddyates52 wrote:I must be missing something, I roll up a squad to assault another squad and do little damage. I've have players do the same and devastate me. I know about movement penalties but have seen other move max and smoke me. I played Squad Leader for many years and squad level miniatures, I must be missing something.
Hey DD,

Infantry. BA. Regulations for the use of...

1. Use the toughest kid in school. Paras/Rangers hit harder than Engineers hit harder than Infantry hit harder than Scouts, etc...
2. Know your ranges. Infantry (range 4) can hurt Paras/Engineers (range 3) with no risk from reaction fire
3. Speed kills. There's a massive attack penalty for "move fast". If you know you're going to attack, sneak up in "hunt"
4. Speed kills more. There's a defence penalty to "move fast" too. He's more likely to see you, and it seems that when you get shot after "moving fast" it hurts a heck of a lot more also
5. Go with the gang. When you left click an enemy unit it will display its info in the bottom right of your screen, including some little orange bullets. Those are his reaction fire shots. He gets that many shots +1 extra. So let's say it shows 2 bullets. You should "hunt" one infantry at him. He will shoot you in reaction fire. Shoot him back. He will react again. He's used 2 of his 3 shots. "Hunt" in another infantry. He will shoot in reaction fire. But now he's used up all of his 3 reaction shots (check out the detailed info... no more orange bullets for him). You can attack with impunity...

Enjoy.
SCENARIO LINKS
Seelow'45 -> www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=313&t=55132
Normandy'44 -> www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=87&t=42094
Dieppe'42 -> www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=87&t=42347

MrsWargamer
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by MrsWargamer » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:11 pm

I have found this works wonders.

Group effort.

Mortar em, and then hit with 1 squad, then hit em with another, then another, then return to first guy, he shoots a second time, and the next dude that fired he gets his turn.

In that fashion, you tend to wear out your target, fewer people take the full brunt of defender reactions. I rarely use Assault option. It's best described as the long odds choice. Dead is dead,and I am happy to non assault just plain gun them done in the usual fashion from my square. Make sure your morale is good too.

Old_Warrior
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Old_Warrior » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:35 am

Yes, and always check the percentages before you attack. They should show up when you go to "Pre-assault" the enemy unit. I have had 80 percent assaults fail. I prefer 90 percent unless I am really needing to take the position in order to keep up with the clock.

Return to “Battle Academy”