GJS'44 Campaign Main Thread - Final June 16th 1944 Tournamen

PC : Battle Academy is a turn based tactical WWII game with almost limitless modding opportnuities.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators

Brummbar44
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Re: GJS'44 - NEW D-Day "manyplayer" Campaign seeks players

Post by Brummbar44 »

GottaLove88s wrote:Ps. Mea culpa... one tiny difference is I've reshaped Caen and Carpiquet, so the City of Caen now takes 2 squares, and Carpiquet is reduced to one -> viewtopic.php?f=87&t=38844&start=40#p364142

Can I send you the Strat Map as a Photoshop .PSD that we can move your icons around on it, without affecting the background layer? Your version is looking smooth... I can send you in pretty much any format you want it, if that's helpful? Your mapping skills look a heck of lot slicker than mine... 8)
Glad you like the map...it should help all players visualize the situation in general and what is available where. It will also help with planning.

I'm not sure I agree though with your Caen adjustment however. The Canadians went through that area to capture Carpiquet in order to flank Caen...so it would seem strange that the Allies would now need to capture Caen just to get to Carpiquet.

It has no effect on my map setup though, I can just take the new map if you really want to stick with that and insert it on that layer.

The Strategic map will progress as we go...as you can see, I can easily update it (my Ouistreham error corrected, thanks)...in fact, I'll likely create a slideshow of the battle progressions and will also be using the map to update my 'known enemy'' forces as my field commanders bump into them (I assume once we come to grips with an enemy BG, we will know which ones they are?).
k9mike

Post by k9mike »

GottaLove88s wrote:WOW!! NICE!! I'm loving your graphics and icons Brummbar.
Everything is exactly right.
Looks like we've got a stellar new GM lads!! :mrgreen:
Wow...Concur. guess can throw out my piece of crap homemade one I just made...lol.
Good Job Bro. :mrgreen:
Mike
k9mike

Post by k9mike »

Really liking what I hear from ya Brummbar. :)
Very nice. Much appreciated.
GottaLove88s
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Post by GottaLove88s »

Brummbar44 wrote:Glad you like the map...it should help all players visualize the situation in general and what is available where. It will also help with planning.
Like it? I love it
Brummbar44 wrote:I'm not sure I agree though with your Caen adjustment however. The Canadians went through that area to capture Carpiquet in order to flank Caen...so it would seem strange that the Allies would now need to capture Caen just to get to Carpiquet.
Hmmm... That's a good point. Realistically/historically, Carpiquet should fall before Caen. Let me think about this... I'll probably change it back... Stick with yours for now.
Brummbar44 wrote:I'll likely create a slideshow of the battle progressions
Slideshow for the Campaign would be a really nice touch
Brummbar44 wrote:and will also be using the map to update my 'known enemy'' forces as my field commanders bump into them (I assume once we come to grips with an enemy BG, we will know which ones they are?).
Wasn't going to be that mean. Was going to show BG IDs on the Strategic Campaign Map, so everyone knew what they were up against... "Fog of war" is an interesting idea tho'. Could be persuaded if there's demand from players? Thumbs up or down gents?
SCENARIO LINKS
Seelow'45 -> www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=313&t=55132
Normandy'44 -> www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=87&t=42094
Dieppe'42 -> www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=87&t=42347
Brummbar44

Post by Brummbar44 »

Thanks Guys, the map will be not only helpful, it will be fun to watch as well. Again, it's easily updated so we can watch the progression.

It will even work for the Germans ;)

Ok, Allied command...radio check...all commanders check in with me so I have your contacts. Please email me mac@brummbar44.com with the subject 'Radio Check'
k9mike

Post by k9mike »

Wow...Fog of War...This was not even a possibility with the last Campaign...That could be a neat touch....But, wonder if we should take some baby steps here...We have already made Big, and Leaping changes over the Old one and would like to see how things play out abit. But, this is a neat idea. This is what I like about having this an Open Type campaign where everyone has a voice, an idea, and the ability to actually make changes. Great work and ideas by ALL...Salute you.
Mike
Brummbar44

Post by Brummbar44 »

k9mike wrote:Wow...Fog of War...This was not even a possibility with the last Campaign...That could be a neat touch....But, wonder if we should take some baby steps here...We have already made Big, and Leaping changes over the Old one and would like to see how things play out abit. But, this is a neat idea. This is what I like about having this an Open Type campaign where everyone has a voice, an idea, and the ability to actually make changes. Great work and ideas by ALL...Salute you.
Mike
Missing out on the last campaign, I didn't really follow it either so please excuse some of my ignorance as times. I agree with Mike here, I just assumed Fog but can see how it would be a problem with me as GM in knowing the enemy positions! Perhaps as things develop, a GM could be just that (not as much fun as playing though!). Fog sure does make for some surprises which is sometimes half the battle...something to work toward.
GottaLove88s

Post by GottaLove88s »

Brummbar44 wrote:
k9mike wrote:Wow...Fog of War...This was not even a possibility with the last Campaign...That could be a neat touch....But, wonder if we should take some baby steps here...We have already made Big, and Leaping changes over the Old one and would like to see how things play out abit. But, this is a neat idea. This is what I like about having this an Open Type campaign where everyone has a voice, an idea, and the ability to actually make changes. Great work and ideas by ALL...Salute you.
Mike
Missing out on the last campaign, I didn't really follow it either so please excuse some of my ignorance as times. I agree with Mike here, I just assumed Fog but can see how it would be a problem with me as GM in knowing the enemy positions! Perhaps as things develop, a GM could be just that (not as much fun as playing though!). Fog sure does make for some surprises which is sometimes half the battle...something to work toward.
Phew! Thanks for your wisdom on "baby steps" guys. Agreed. Strategic fog of war as a future "nice to have" as Pip would say... Let's keep it simple for now (laughing out loud maniacally as recalls how unsimple we've already agreed to create :lol: )
SCENARIO LINKS
GottaLove88s

Post by GottaLove88s »

Brummbar44 wrote:Ok, Allied command...radio check...all commanders check in with me so I have your contacts. Please email me mac@brummbar44.com with the subject 'Radio Check'
Hey Brummbar,

Direct emails for your troops...

Let me know when you've copied and I'll delete from here...
Last edited by GottaLove88s on Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SCENARIO LINKS
Brummbar44

Post by Brummbar44 »

K, gott 'em. Thanks.
jcb989
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger

Post by jcb989 »

Lafeyette I am here
k9mike

Post by k9mike »

Justin...Did you get the Hardrive issue taken care of??
random27
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by random27 »

It would be great to have a forum just for allies and one just for axis like in the first cjs campaign no ?
GottaLove88s

Post by GottaLove88s »

random27 wrote:It would be great to have a forum just for allies and one just for axis like in the first cjs campaign no ?
Great minds think alike, Random! Mike is arranging this for both teams...
SCENARIO LINKS
GottaLove88s

Post by GottaLove88s »

First draft of the rules is up here -> viewtopic.php?f=87&t=38844&p=363656#p363656
Nothing there to surprise GJS old hands... but will give newbies some ideas to get their strategic juices flowing...
SCENARIO LINKS
GottaLove88s

Post by GottaLove88s »

PS. Since I'm an impartial GM, I'm going to let both sides in on a secret...

Perhaps one of the easiest ways to win, to disable key enemy assets, is to go for his transport units... If you scan the Order of Battle for both sides, there are limited numbers of trucks, 251s, Bren carriers and Kangaroos in each BG, with no further reinforcements... Once you deprive the enemy of these, his ATGs will be stuck fixed where he starts them (aside from single space moves by swapping places with a neighbouring unit)... And his mortars and HMGs will be pretty darned slow too...

But the converse is also true... Use your transports very, very carefully indeed!!
SCENARIO LINKS
k9mike

Re: GJS'44 - D-Day "manyplayer" Campaign begins...

Post by k9mike »

Jon, how close are we to uploading new GJS44?? Are you going to post a dropbox link like last Campaign?
GottaLove88s

Post by GottaLove88s »

At least 48 hours away... Have received orders from one side... Am waiting for orders from the other side... Once I know where the fighting will be, I need two free evenings to sort out the maps and create the new GJS44 folder... Hopefully you'll be scrapping by the end of this week... Keep breathing and push, Mike! ;-)
SCENARIO LINKS
jcb989

Post by jcb989 »

k9mike wrote:Justin...Did you get the Hardrive issue taken care of??

Not completely yet, no. Although my hard drive cooperated long enough to let me play both turns against us last night in both our games.

I hope to fully resolve the issues by Wednesday night. I ordered a Crucial SSD drive and a $25 cloning "box", and will clone my dying drive with that.
I already cloned the drive to a backup external HDD as a precaution.
k9mike

Post by k9mike »

Cool...hope it goes ok. Hate hardrives...it always seems you can never get things exactly like you had before...:(

Return to “Battle Academy”