BA 2 - Eastern Front Development Forum

PC : Battle Academy is a turn based tactical WWII game with almost limitless modding opportnuities.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators

LandMarine47
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I
Posts: 2430
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:44 pm
Location: Texas

Re: BA 2 - Eastern Front Development Forum

Post by LandMarine47 » Mon May 20, 2013 3:22 am

Just go to their YouTube channel GL88's

GottaLove88s
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E
Posts: 3151
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:18 pm
Location: Palau

Re: BA 2 - Eastern Front Development Forum

Post by GottaLove88s » Mon May 20, 2013 5:55 am

Found it, thanks LM... Direct link to youtube here -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDH06YPJvzg

There's a lot to like here. BA's new editor ("Coming this Winter" apparently! ;-)) will take a lot of pain out of mapping... Much easier roads (and presumably streets and tracks too), auto edging is nice, map text via editor is helpful... but it's the in-game stuff that looks really promising... creating reinforcement groups via the Editor, to arrive on certain turns (does anyone know if Slith has lifted the 64 unit limit? Or if the old limit will affect Editor created reinforcements?)
SCENARIO LINKS
Seelow'45 -> www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=313&t=55132
Normandy'44 -> www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=87&t=42094
Dieppe'42 -> www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=87&t=42347

rf900
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Posts: 339
Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 6:59 am

Re: BA 2 - Eastern Front Development Forum

Post by rf900 » Mon May 20, 2013 5:11 pm

(does anyone know if Slith has lifted the 64 unit limit? Or if the old limit will affect Editor created reinforcements?)
With one of the latest patches (2.1.1 I think) you can know reuse IDs of dead units. So you cannot have more than 64 at the same time, but you can add more units as they are killed, for my part I don't want to move or see move lots of units because turns become endless.

jcb989
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger
Posts: 1418
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:02 am
Location: Bradenton, Florida

Re: BA 2 - Eastern Front Development Forum

Post by jcb989 » Thu May 23, 2013 6:30 pm

Yes I confirm what rf900 says, the use of dead unit ID's is already there now.

The new editor looks like it would have saved me a lot of carpel tunnel. lol...

Old_Warrior
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther
Posts: 1012
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:13 am

Re: BA 2 - Eastern Front Development Forum

Post by Old_Warrior » Fri May 24, 2013 8:12 pm

rf900 wrote:
(does anyone know if Slith has lifted the 64 unit limit? Or if the old limit will affect Editor created reinforcements?)
With one of the latest patches (2.1.1 I think) you can know reuse IDs of dead units. So you cannot have more than 64 at the same time, but you can add more units as they are killed, for my part I don't want to move or see move lots of units because turns become endless.
Yes, a good mix of missions that feature a lot of units but then medium or small amounts is good in a module.

LandMarine47
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I
Posts: 2430
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:44 pm
Location: Texas

Re: BA 2 - Eastern Front Development Forum

Post by LandMarine47 » Tue May 28, 2013 7:10 pm

Another thing will we be able to "Man" abandoned Artillery and even Tanks? Using special "Crew Units" they won't pack much of a punch but will be IMPORTANT units! Often times the Soviets would capture then man German Artillery and Tanks and use them against them. You have 2 Options. Tanks will often destroy Tanks and Artillery but can infantry have next to assault a new command of "Capture". Where instead of destroying the target they in fact kill the crew but can't man the gun. This is where your "Crews" come in. Imagine Capturing a King Tiger or an 88? Give the Germans a Taste of their own medicine! Or a Russian IS-2. The game will get even MORE realistic like this. But there is a catch. There is an even lower chance of success because you or your enemy will try to destroy what your looking for. The better quality of the weapon the harder the crew will fight. And in the case you capture a artillery piece you really want but don't have a crew a available. Dismount an occupied gun and use their crew. To mount them! And a new unit know as "Medic" when near a unit he will heal them and bring back a soldier. To counter this if in 1 or 2 turns that soldier will die and will not be able to be healed.

pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 9048
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:35 pm

Re: BA 2 - Eastern Front Development Forum

Post by pipfromslitherine » Tue May 28, 2013 7:36 pm

LandMarine47 wrote:Another thing will we be able to "Man" abandoned Artillery and even Tanks? Using special "Crew Units" they won't pack much of a punch but will be IMPORTANT units! Often times the Soviets would capture then man German Artillery and Tanks and use them against them. You have 2 Options. Tanks will often destroy Tanks and Artillery but can infantry have next to assault a new command of "Capture". Where instead of destroying the target they in fact kill the crew but can't man the gun. This is where your "Crews" come in. Imagine Capturing a King Tiger or an 88? Give the Germans a Taste of their own medicine! Or a Russian IS-2. The game will get even MORE realistic like this. But there is a catch. There is an even lower chance of success because you or your enemy will try to destroy what your looking for. The better quality of the weapon the harder the crew will fight. And in the case you capture a artillery piece you really want but don't have a crew a available. Dismount an occupied gun and use their crew. To mount them! And a new unit know as "Medic" when near a unit he will heal them and bring back a soldier. To counter this if in 1 or 2 turns that soldier will die and will not be able to be healed.
We're not planning to allow captured units IIRC. There are too many UI and recognition issues for what would be a pretty infrequent occurance.

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here

LandMarine47
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I
Posts: 2430
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:44 pm
Location: Texas

Re: BA 2 - Eastern Front Development Forum

Post by LandMarine47 » Tue May 28, 2013 8:39 pm

Oh we're still using the same BA engine? Well then ill wait for BA 3 Pacific Front :)

onone
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:25 am
Location: Edinburgh Scotland

Re: BA 2 - Eastern Front Development Forum

Post by onone » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:01 pm

Fantastic, eastern front ... can't wait! Looking forward pushing some SMG squads and T34's around the rubble! Seems to be quite a wish list of things in this clocking up in this thread! Can I add one to it? Don't change anything! This is a gem of a game! Simple, quick and fun. I've played many other games that go overboard on realism and most of them are tedious and dull! Good luck guys and thanks for supporting PBEM, where would I be without you.

pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 9048
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:35 pm

Re: BA 2 - Eastern Front Development Forum

Post by pipfromslitherine » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:12 pm

onone wrote:Fantastic, eastern front ... can't wait! Looking forward pushing some SMG squads and T34's around the rubble! Seems to be quite a wish list of things in this clocking up in this thread! Can I add one to it? Don't change anything! This is a gem of a game! Simple, quick and fun. I've played many other games that go overboard on realism and most of them are tedious and dull! Good luck guys and thanks for supporting PBEM, where would I be without you.
You can be sure we won't break the things which make the game as accessible and enjoyable as it is :). And T34s - oh yes, lots of them! ;)

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here

LandMarine47
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I
Posts: 2430
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:44 pm
Location: Texas

Re: BA 2 - Eastern Front Development Forum

Post by LandMarine47 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:29 am

If we are going for 3 Main Campaigns there should be 1 German then 2 Soviet Campagins. 1st one should be the Germans spanning Operation Barbarossa timeline. From the first shots to say about the time of the Russian Counter attack at Moscow. Then the second should be soviets from Stalingrad to Kursk. Then the final should be Operation Barington to the Battle for Berlin. DLC's should be The Winter War and a what if where the Germans win at Stalingrad, Moscow, Leningrad, or Kursk. And the Finally a Polish Campaign with both sides. (In the final main Campagin do the "Warsaw Rising" or add it to Polish DLC)

LandMarine47
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I
Posts: 2430
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:44 pm
Location: Texas

Re: BA 2 - Eastern Front Development Forum

Post by LandMarine47 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:51 am

Can there also be Static AA guns (Flakvering for example) as well as Snipers and better options for grenades. Exp. You know there's an enemy across the street in that destroyed house but you want something more effective than suppressing fire. A new option called "Throw Grenade" your men (From 2 tiles away) will throw a frag/Molotov into the building with say a 60% Chance of killing someone.(it will take away a TNT from your men) And after a certain amount of abuse can a building "collapse" and change to rough ground settings? And now for more accurate or to unlock an artillery barrage add spotters! And men ride tanks but when engaged the drop off in a random tile. (Enric did this I believe)

pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 9048
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:35 pm

Re: BA 2 - Eastern Front Development Forum

Post by pipfromslitherine » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:52 pm

LandMarine47 wrote:Can there also be Static AA guns (Flakvering for example) as well as Snipers and better options for grenades. Exp. You know there's an enemy across the street in that destroyed house but you want something more effective than suppressing fire. A new option called "Throw Grenade" your men (From 2 tiles away) will throw a frag/Molotov into the building with say a 60% Chance of killing someone.(it will take away a TNT from your men) And after a certain amount of abuse can a building "collapse" and change to rough ground settings? And now for more accurate or to unlock an artillery barrage add spotters! And men ride tanks but when engaged the drop off in a random tile. (Enric did this I believe)
All good ideas. We're working on the key model elements (how to appropriately handicap the Russian tanks generally... ;) ). There are lots of smaller detail features on the wishlist for sure.

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here

LandMarine47
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I
Posts: 2430
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:44 pm
Location: Texas

Re: BA 2 - Eastern Front Development Forum

Post by LandMarine47 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:06 am

Another thing that annoyed me is that an MG can shoot past your tank and into infantry behind this. This makes Abseloutly no sense unless the Bullets go through the tanks (not killing the crew) and into your infantry. Can this be added that infantry behind tank can't get attacked unless it from in direct fire?

pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 9048
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:35 pm

Re: BA 2 - Eastern Front Development Forum

Post by pipfromslitherine » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:53 pm

You need to bear in mind the abstraction at work. The tank isn't "in front of" your infantry in any meaningful way. While the scale isn't linear, each tile is probably 50-100m across :)

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here

leci
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Posts: 456
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:00 pm

Re: BA 2 - Eastern Front Development Forum

Post by leci » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:19 pm

Some considerations:

As discussed previously, I would expect infantry to be able to hitch a ride on tanks - common amongst Axis and Allied units especially on the Eastern Front, where fully tracked armoured units (depending on the model and track width) were probably the only units capable of negotiating the muddy, churned up terrain.

Will horse drawn units be available - often forgotten that a high percentage of German Eastern Front artillery and suppy units were actually horse drawn (this was also true in France in 1940) and the Soviets scorched earth policy, let alone the German negative attitude to Soviet people's wishing to break away from State resulted in severe forage shortages and all this against a background of some 1.4m horses being engaged (across the 1941 - 1945 period) and where during 1941 - 1942 alone some 200k horses were lost. Often overlooked that Blitzkrieg tactics were detailed by the British in the 20s, 30s, picked up by the Germans across this period, but 1940 etc although described as a Blitzkreig campaign was in reality about tactics and independant command decisions, but again much of the German forces were horsepower based. Also worth noting that it was the Soviets who probably honed the Blitzkreig concept albeit often supported by human waves of expendable citizens and ever ready tank forces, but to be fair it was the Germans who developed the air/ground support model which is still evident today.

Also worth noting that the SS did develop cavalry units right up to 1945.

What about Soviet partisans as viable Allied units? While in France much of the partisan activity was diluted by political differences and is much overblown, in Soviet territories, partisans did make a difference (as they did in Yugoslavia and to some extent in Greece and Italy). Soviet (perhaps better described as Russian) partisan activity often resulted from isolated units from Day 1 and severely impacted German supply channels and thus 'tied up' German forces to deal with the problems.

Gilles
Last edited by leci on Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
My directory of Battle Academy Playable Mods & Scenarios at viewtopic.php?f=87&t=43167

Gilles

LandMarine47
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I
Posts: 2430
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:44 pm
Location: Texas

Re: BA 2 - Eastern Front Development Forum

Post by LandMarine47 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:22 pm

Another thing is more Morale? Your men get suppressed WAY to easily in Vanilla BA. That's why mods like Normandy Ninjas and Dieppe are so popular! Morale is raised so your men have a chance to I don't know take out an MG and have a chance? Lol

GottaLove88s
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E
Posts: 3151
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:18 pm
Location: Palau

Re: BA 2 - Eastern Front Development Forum

Post by GottaLove88s » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:13 pm

Suspect this has been asked elsewhere... so please forgive if I missed it... but will we get the Su-100 and Siberian ski troops? :D
SCENARIO LINKS
Seelow'45 -> www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=313&t=55132
Normandy'44 -> www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=87&t=42094
Dieppe'42 -> www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=87&t=42347

guertie13
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:36 pm

Re: BA 2 - Eastern Front Development Forum

Post by guertie13 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:44 pm

Suggestion. I was going to put this on the Rommel Panzers forum but thought this would be a better place. Could it be possible to purchase platoons, companies, etc. rather than individual units. My rationale behind it: More realistic blend of units. Ability to change morale on vehicles (upgrade for Waffen SS, downgrade for Volksgrenadiers for example). You can also have option to add special detachments... Anti Tank, Artillery, Assault guns, etc. to bolster some forces. Hope you find it interesting.

DaveyJJ
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:04 am
Location: Waterloo, Ontario
Contact:

Re: BA 2 - Eastern Front Development Forum

Post by DaveyJJ » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:28 am

GottaLove88s wrote:Found it, thanks LM... Direct link to youtube here -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDH06YPJvzg

There's a lot to like here. BA's new editor ("Coming this Winter" apparently! ;-)) will take a lot of pain out of mapping... Much easier roads (and presumably streets and tracks too), auto edging is nice, map text via editor is helpful... but it's the in-game stuff that looks really promising... creating reinforcement groups via the Editor, to arrive on certain turns (does anyone know if Slith has lifted the 64 unit limit? Or if the old limit will affect Editor created reinforcements?)
The improvements to the editor alone will get me back into creating scenarios.

Post Reply

Return to “Battle Academy”