Unable to create another MP game

PC : Battle Academy is a turn based tactical WWII game with almost limitless modding opportnuities.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators

gortwillsaveus
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Unable to create another MP game

Post by gortwillsaveus » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:29 pm

I have 13 games in play with no open challenges.
When I try to create a new challenge, I get; "Too many games or challenges in progress".

I thought the MP limit was 20 concurrent games?

Navaronegun
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Re: Unable to create another MP game

Post by Navaronegun » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:25 pm

Appears to be a Global issue. Multiple reportings. It began yesterday at 1430 EST and still no response from Slitherine. That is the most frustrating part, actually.
I think the best way to describe our operations to date is that they have violated every recognized principle of war.
General Eisenhower, Supreme Commander Allied Expeditionary Force, on the Tunisian Campaign, 27 DEC 1942.

pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:56 pm

The challenge limit should indeed be 20, although I think that includes challenges? Not sure if it includes completed games (although it shouldn't IIRC). The limit was recently re-enabled having been erroneously turned off during some maintenance.

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here

Navaronegun
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by Navaronegun » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:46 pm

Pip I currently have 13 games and challenges, and it is evidently in effect. Multiple others have the same issue. It seems the 20 number may have changed, perhaps, either purposely or inadvertantly.

Nav
I think the best way to describe our operations to date is that they have violated every recognized principle of war.
General Eisenhower, Supreme Commander Allied Expeditionary Force, on the Tunisian Campaign, 27 DEC 1942.

gortwillsaveus

Post by gortwillsaveus » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:00 pm

pipfromslitherine wrote:The challenge limit should indeed be 20, although I think that includes challenges? Not sure if it includes completed games (although it shouldn't IIRC). The limit was recently re-enabled having been erroneously turned off during some maintenance.

Cheers

Pip

I just finished 3 games,..so I'm down to 10 active games and no open challenges.
I created 2 new challenges and upon trying to create a 13th challenges,...I'm blocked saying that I have too many active games or challenges.

If the limit has been and should be 20, then something is definitely wrong.

Navaronegun
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by Navaronegun » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:50 pm

So 13 seems to be the number, Gort? I am at 9 and no luck.

gortwillsaveus

Post by gortwillsaveus » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:40 pm

Seems the number of concurrent games and/or challenges is dropping.
It's supposed to allow 20,...then it dropped to 13, then 12,....and now 9???

Navaronegun
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by Navaronegun » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:52 pm

Now i'm at 8. Still no dice.

gortwillsaveus

Post by gortwillsaveus » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:22 pm

Saw this was being worked and (and was reported) in the Tech Support section.
My bad for not checking there first.

tmoj2000
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by tmoj2000 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:07 am

In any case even 20 is definitely not enough

I dont see why there should be a limit

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:12 pm

It should all be working now guys. If not let us know. Sorry for the problems.

The limit was introduced so that no one player could be involved in too many games as when you get player drop out the knock on effects can be huge if one player has too many games going on. It was also to stop one player accepting all the open challenges in the system. It may not be working as intended though so it is something we can review.

Navaronegun
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by Navaronegun » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:25 pm

Thanks for the attention to the problem Iain. The MP community has really burgeoned here. The ability to Mod and play MP games for BA, with the convenience of iPad play prompted some of us, such as myself to spend the extra dollars for 2 platforms. You are developing a great community here. I myself was a minatures and wargames guy, and then dabbled a bit in designing in the Talonsoft days. Its nice to just basically set up scenarios, without the proprietary hassles, and play people.

ERommel
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by ERommel » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:21 pm

Please allow scenario developers to have more than 20. In my case, I reach my max simply my having 1 match open for each scenario that I have created. I am currently working on an additional 20 which I am releasing once per month 2 to 4 at a time. I like to play test each new scen with at least 5 players so 20 will simply not do.

Before you instituted the 20 max rule I had open

Total of 40

36 of my current games so that I continue to improve the games
4 games that I like that are not mine.

From the 36 that were mine:
10 were for my latest version of Rhein ALL of which were invitations I sent out to those that offered to help me play test.
10 for my latest scenario of Peiper campaign (I was planning of releasing the next 2 scenarios today but cannot due to your max rule)
4 were for my desert scenario
12 were my cambrai WWI campaign (I created 6 scenarios and I still want to improve these)

As I noted, I have completed the next 2 scenarios in my Peiper campaign for testing but cannot test them with members due to your rule.

If you cannot give scenario developers more multiplayer games than increase the number to 40 across the board. I can work with 40

Cheers
Last edited by ERommel on Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:40 am, edited 5 times in total.

Navaronegun
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by Navaronegun » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:22 am

Erommel has a point. It's hard even when to hotseat against yourself, just to see if things work in a basic fashion, it counts against your limit.

ERommel

Post by ERommel » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:26 pm

IainMcNeil wrote:It should all be working now guys. If not let us know. Sorry for the problems.

The limit was introduced so that no one player could be involved in too many games as when you get player drop out the knock on effects can be huge if one player has too many games going on. It was also to stop one player accepting all the open challenges in the system. It may not be working as intended though so it is something we can review.
Could you please take my posting into consideration in your review of this issue and give us a response soon. I purchased your newest add on, all the previous ones on 2 computers. I'm also hard at work to improve the gaming experience for everyone with scenario development. A prompt reply would be much appreciated. Thanks
Imagine yourself acclaimed, a decorated national hero, an idol to millions of desperate people, then within six months, condemned to death by hanging.
- Joachim Peiper

pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:24 pm

We'll take modders' needs into account for sure when we reapply the limit. That said, it has only been disabled for a short time, and so I assume it wasn't a massive problem for modders prior to that.

Cheers

Pip

ERommel

Post by ERommel » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:40 pm

pipfromslitherine wrote:We'll take modders' needs into account for sure when we reapply the limit. That said, it has only been disabled for a short time, and so I assume it wasn't a massive problem for modders prior to that.

Cheers

Pip
It was disabled for quite a long time actually. In my case I would say for the larger part of the previous year. Perhaps you were not aware of this.

If I read your reply correctly it would seem that you are not in any hurry to change the limit at this time.
I was hoping for a more positive response.
Imagine yourself acclaimed, a decorated national hero, an idol to millions of desperate people, then within six months, condemned to death by hanging.
- Joachim Peiper

ERommel

Post by ERommel » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:11 am

I posted a recent opinion on this issue on one of my threads:

viewtopic.php?f=105&t=45476&start=20
- Joachim Peiper

kingt
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Post by kingt » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:09 pm

Yeah, I have also surpassed the 20 limit at various times during the past year, and went well above the 30 mark as well. I'd also be in favor of moving the number of simultaneous games up, so I can play test some of these games.

pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:25 pm

As I said, we will take your input into account when we reapply the restrictions. We certainly don't want to make it harder to build mods, but we also need limits to prevent server abuse and pollution of the MP system.

Cheers

Pip

Return to “Battle Academy”