Brigadier-General - 8.8 cm Pak 43/41

Night Drop

Post by enric » Sat May 04, 2013 10:32 am

Nice scenario.

Victory conditions
  • KILL 10 in 4 turns
    seems impossible.
  • Don't lose all 88
    Airbones don't seem interested in killing them.
  • Detroy 3 57mm
    This is a big clue. It's easy to discover where they are (Glider nearby and sand bag)
  • Kill 30 enemies
    is it possible? After killing 27 units I get the objective completed.
Others
  • Bonus AID is never available
  • OSTRUPPEN ID 4 don't showed the triangle over the unit.
    see image 1
    OSTRUPPEN.jpg
    image 1
    OSTRUPPEN.jpg (139.66 KiB) Viewed 2829 times
  • Owed flags
    Appear in red and the enemy in blue, in the minimap, I think it was usually inverted?
  • H35 suppresed by a 57mm
    retreats advancing toward the 57mm who has suppressed him.
  • Building 24, 41 is open ground.
    see image 2.
    building.jpg
    image 2
    building.jpg (85.71 KiB) Viewed 2829 times
  • Char Bis
    Is so slow or enter too late to participate in the battle.
  • Casualties just before taking the third flag
    Image 3
    casualties.jpg
    image 3
    casualties.jpg (73.78 KiB) Viewed 2829 times
  • Final result
    see image 4
    On another topic has no more than three attachments allowed
Last edited by enric on Sat May 04, 2013 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

enric

Re: night drop

Post by enric » Sat May 04, 2013 10:33 am

the missing image.
final.jpg
final.jpg (159.4 KiB) Viewed 2828 times

citizen6
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Re: Night Drop

Post by citizen6 » Sun May 19, 2013 12:51 am

My thoughts on this were:

It is very difficult to kill 5 in 4 turns. even knowing where they are this is a push. It'd be better to have a don't lose more than X units.
The Char Bis is great. Mine went elite both games flushing out the paratroopers on the left flank.
Is there a reason why 88mm cannot barrage? They were able to historically. They just weren't really really powerful as artillery. Though this scenario the addition of this would make it unbalanced.
I fond in the several games that I have played on varying levels that the AI is not very agressive. Units will often not take shots at my units that are nearby and in the open.
Second reinforcement may be too large. Maybe only a one or two halftracks with infantry. It's not like there isn't plenty of firepower around if you want it as you can just go and get an 88 or two.
I agree with Enric in that the Allies seem disinterested in the 88s given that it was their objective to eliminate AA. It would be a much more frenetic game if they went after these rather than milling around in the villages and half-heartedly attacking VPs. Maybe make the 88s the VPs and maybe the large town at the top and a river crossing or two.

guertie13
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by guertie13 » Fri May 24, 2013 12:39 am

I have played all the way through the entire single player campaign and enjoyed the different types of scenarios.

I agree with that the second reinforcement is too large. You might consider less halftracks as reinforcements. Another thought would be to increase the Allied portion (reinforcements) to possibly ambush the reinforcements or randomly pop up Allied squads to force the Germans to hold key positions with the infantry rather than steamroll through the map. I like the idea of making the 88's position a VP. I was able to kill 5 in 4 turns, curious if the parachute drops are random? Still liked the scenario. I thought the AI was aggressive on the Southern town and also on the upper North East. I thought the AT Guns were too easy to destroy (since they did not have any infantry support)

mattymo
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by mattymo » Sun May 26, 2013 12:29 am

Ok, just played this scenario on Beta 2.2.2
enric wrote:Nice scenario.
I like this scenario, but got worried the rest would be like this. Because of the vehicles available, it feels more like a scenario out of 1940 (i.e, Blitzkrieg France) than 1944. I appreciate why that is, and I like it for that reason. But, as I said, if they were all like this... But, there not! :)
enric wrote: Victory conditions
  • KILL 10 in 4 turns
    seems impossible.
This has been changed to a more realistic 5, and it is now possible.
enric wrote: [*]Don't lose all 88
Airbones don't seem interested in killing them.
This remains true. They came in handy in the top center, where they can hit one of the buildings where the airborne troops have taken shelter.
enric wrote: [*]Detroy 3 57mm
This is a big clue. It's easy to discover where they are (Glider nearby and sand bag)
I didn't notice if the gliders were still nearby, but I agree it's a big clue...
enric wrote: [*]Kill 30 enemies
is it possible? After killing 27 units I get the objective completed.[/list]
Now possible.
enric wrote:Others
  • Bonus AID is never available
Fixed
enric wrote:
[*] Char Bis
Is so slow or enter too late to participate in the battle.[/list]
Also fixed.

In general, the AI seemed more aggressive this time, taking the central village (in the Southern half of map). The airborne attack from the North (i.e., the Germans' right flank) was still wildly unsuccessful, and a little curious because it was so narrowly focused and utilized a serial (as opposed to parallel) approach. There's not a lot of cover there and so it was a massacre once again.

Overall, this scenario felt harder during the first 2/3 and then easy in the last 1/3. A good and interesting scenario. But, a little bit on the easy side overall, IMO.

JMass
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by JMass » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:47 pm

Just played this scenario on Beta 2.2.3, I killed 5 units in 4 turns and 30 enemies, I destroyed 2 57mm and I was approaching the third one when the scenario ended, two 88mm was destroyed and in general AI was aggressive but I defeated the attacks on the villages enough easily, at the end single man units tried to approaching building defended by 2-3 of my units: bye-bye!
My boardgames collection: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/JMass?own=1&subtype=boardgame&ff=1
Roma Victrix!

Old_Warrior
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Old_Warrior » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:11 pm

Here is my take on the mission:

1. I actually checked out the script file first to see how it was laid out and what to expect. I do this with beta testing as it allows me to know how the designer put the mission together. A couple of notes on this:

a. I noted that the Victory Objectives were the Primary Victory Condition but it looked like in the script for the Victory Conditions that nothing is said about the objectives being part of such. Where in the script are the victory objectives tracked for victory?

b. The comment for the killing of 5 US units in 4 turns still say "kill 10 units" or something like that. Not a huge problem but just something to clean up later. Def. not a "show-stopper."

2. US Unit start up locations should be more random. Mission will not have much replay value otherwise. This being a Night mission I would think that some element of surprise would be good.

3. Night vision is too far. I would allow no more than TWO tiles at MOST. Even with the moonlit night the distance should be reduced ... see me if you need a script that will do this properly. I have a "fog" script that I am using for the module I am working on. Not only was the LOS range reduced in it but also the FIRE range as well.

I like HARD missions - that way you get more replay out of them. Thus I thought that the Axis had too many tanks. The Flame tank was a bit overkill too. As the AI is controlling the fine US AB units you can expect a lot of dead paras.

However, I note that this mission has been revised and I must say that it is fun to play. I would just make it a bit harder for the Germans as otherwise the replay factor is reduced.

LandMarine47
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by LandMarine47 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:32 am

Not using the Airborne Skin for the other troops? (MGs and Bazookas as well as the ATs)

Steiner37
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by Steiner37 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:21 pm

I have played this scenario three times but I was not able to achieve the mission. I had a lot of fun anyway. It looks more challenging for me than previous scenarios.

I have notice that vision is to far for a night scenario IMHO.

I'll try second scenario now; not detected anything wrong during playing.

Reform
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Reform » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:08 am

Played this - great fun. I was able to complete it and loved the mix of kit and equipment. The char bis is magic. I agree that the achievement of killing airborne in the timescale given is very, very tough.

I've not been able to achieve that.

Otherwise this is ready to ship.

Return to “Battle Academy : Open Beta”