Patching issues?

Tech support for PC & Mac. Please post your OS and version number when reporting bugs.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, FoG PC Moderator, NewRoSoft

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Patching issues?

Post by IainMcNeil » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:22 am

For anyone who had issues patching we know we made this over complicated and have learned from our mistakes!

We've spent a lot of time and effort to simplify it for you. This new universal patch takes any version to the current latest v1.2.8 build on PC.

It works with any previous version of Field of Glory from 1.0 to 1.2.8 Beta and the SLitherine & Matrix versions.

In future all updates will come via the in built updater program so this further simplifies the process for you.

You can download the universal patch from http://www.slitherine.com/files/fog/fie ... _1.2.8.exe

Once you have 1.2.8 installed you can use the in game Check for Updates button to get you up to v1.2.9 and then again to get to the latest version. Basically keep checking for updtaes till it tells you you have the latest version.

NOTE - If you were a beta tester you must re-install v1.2.8 before you try to update your game or install Immortal Fire as it will not be compatible and will crash.
Last edited by IainMcNeil on Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

Chillimaster
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

1.3.0 update

Post by Chillimaster » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:25 am

I have spent the day trying to update from 1.2.8 to 1.3.0. The update first installed 1.2.9 which downloaded, vaildated and installed. It the tried to install the 1.3.0 patch, which appears to be an endless loop. I have run the update from the FOG menu, which downloads, validates, and then downloads again, and again and again without ever installing.

Any thoughts?

morriseckhardt
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by morriseckhardt » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:19 am

Same problem as Chillimaster. A fix please. Enough said. :(

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:52 am

If it repeats it is because it failed to download. It may be the server is just to busy with so many of you trig to download. Can you try again today.

keithmartinsmith
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by keithmartinsmith » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:00 am

If anyone still has an issue with the 1.29/1.3.0 updates in your message can you state your operating system and exactly any messages or where it failed e.g. failed to unzip, failed to validate. These will greatly help to pin down what the issue could be.

The only time we can seem to replicate a download issue is with Power PC Mac's on a wireless connection. Power PC is not officially supported but they should work, and they down 100% of the time when the PC does not use wireless.

Many thanks for your help on this and apologies to anyone having any issues.

The good news is that once a PC is running 1.3.0 updates are likely to be easier to install, usually very small and very fast to download and update. This makes it easier add new features, battles or armies to the games system easily and quickly for all players with out the need for massive downloads.

Keith

Chillimaster

Post by Chillimaster » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:05 am

OK, I have tried again this morning (Australian time), and still the same problem. I am running Windows Vista. I am running 1.2.9. There are no error messages, instead the download 100% completes, it then 100% validates and begins the install stage for between 2 and 5 seconds, and then reverts to downloading the patch again.

Very frustrating.

Chillimaster

Post by Chillimaster » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:36 pm

Still no luck. The 1.2.9 patch downloads and installs, but the 1.3.0 just will not install. Downloads and validates, but after beginning the install phase it suddenly reverts to downloading again. :cry:

My multiplayer opponents must think I have given up!!

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:26 am

We're creating a patch file to try and deal with anyone having issues updating but it is going to take a few days. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Chillimaster

Post by Chillimaster » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:48 am

Hi guys, just tried again. The patch now says 1 of 2 when downloading. It completes both download and validation to 100%, but when installing, it now crashes at the 15% point. Hope this helps.

Simon

keithmartinsmith
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by keithmartinsmith » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:44 pm

To help us with our testing of our fix for this can you confirm:

1) Your Mac Model.
2) Your OSX version
3) Are you downloading via wireless or cable.
4) If wireless have you tried a cable connection.

Thanks
Keith

Chillimaster

Post by Chillimaster » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:12 pm

Hi Keith,

As i stated earlier in the thread I am using a PC, a Toshiba Satellite Laptop running Windows Vista Home Premium to be more specific.

edited.

As of 12:00pm local time, my problem is solved. Both downloads have completed, and installed correctly.

Thanks everyone for your help. :P

wellssh

Post by wellssh » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:51 pm

I am also having a problem with the auto-update. It did 1.29 but got stuck at around 84% of downloading 1/3 patches to get to 1.32.

I tried it twice once in the evening and once after midnight. Still gets stuck around 84%

Is there a way to just download and extract a zip file like I have done for every other FOG patch to date? This method seems to work perfectly.

76mm
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by 76mm » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:32 pm

wellssh wrote:I am also having a problem with the auto-update. It did 1.29 but got stuck at around 84% of downloading 1/3 patches to get to 1.32.
Wellssh, I'm not positive, but when I updated 1.3 and 1.3.1, I think mine seemed to be stuck at about 84% as well, but I left it alone and eventually it finished dowloading or installing or whatever--did you let it sit for a good long while, or terminate it when it seemed stuck?

wellssh

Post by wellssh » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:53 pm

76mm wrote:
wellssh wrote:I am also having a problem with the auto-update. It did 1.29 but got stuck at around 84% of downloading 1/3 patches to get to 1.32.
Wellssh, I'm not positive, but when I updated 1.3 and 1.3.1, I think mine seemed to be stuck at about 84% as well, but I left it alone and eventually it finished dowloading or installing or whatever--did you let it sit for a good long while, or terminate it when it seemed stuck?
I waited about 30minutes and it seemed pretty stuck. I will try it again.

wellssh

Post by wellssh » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:05 pm

wellssh wrote:
76mm wrote:
I waited about 30minutes and it seemed pretty stuck. I will try it again.
ok, Im up to date with 1.33 -- it does APPEAR to hang at about 84% but just letting it work allowed it to finish downloading. thank you for a great game!

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:40 pm

Glad it does work finally. We're creating a patch exe for those of you having issues with the updater but need to make sure 1.3.3 is solid before we do.

harrybh

Post by harrybh » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:40 am

:( I run FoG on a Toshiba laptop running Windows Vista which is completly up-to-date. I have updated FoG to version 1.2.8 . When I attempt to check for updates the program goes into a loop which begins with the message on the menu bar: Field of Glory:(version 1.2.8 )(not responding). In a few seconds a message box appears with the message: Please wait - Launching client. Eventually the screen goes black and eventually the original screen will appear with the same not responding message and then the Launching client, etc, etc, ad nausium...
After a while I must close the program and get the message - from Windows OS that the program is not responding. After several attempts the program finally closes.
The program (v 1.2.8 ) seems to function in all other respects, but I haven't tested that much.

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:17 am

We'll have a patch installer for you soon so you dont have to use the updater. Sorry for any problems.

stu53jp

Post by stu53jp » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:04 pm

Just bought FoG and Rise of Rome and used the download option. Everything worked fine until I followed the steps to update, firstly to V1.2.8 and then V1.2.9 and finally the latest - a 4 part patch V1.3.3 . Now the game won't run. It comes up with a box telling me to report the problem together with a description and then crashes back to the desktop. The operating system is Windows Vista. Can anyone help? Rather frustrated and wondering if I have to reload. :(

76mm
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by 76mm » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:28 pm

You should get a screen shot of the message and send it to the e-mail indicated elsewhere in this thread.

Then you might want to reload patch 1.28, which I think overides the more recent ones, and then 1.29, and then try the rest of them again...good luck!

Return to “Field of Glory : Tech Support”