French Ordonnance Mounted Longbowmen

Tech support for PC & Mac. Please post your OS and version number when reporting bugs.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, NewRoSoft, FoG PC Moderator

Gersen
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

French Ordonnance Mounted Longbowmen

Post by Gersen » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:55 pm

Despite the name and the graphics, they can't actually fire their longbows. WAD?

TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Re: French Ordonnance Mounted Longbowmen

Post by TheGrayMouser » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:49 pm

Gersen wrote:Despite the name and the graphics, they can't actually fire their longbows. WAD?
Historically I dont believe they were capable of doing so, despite there name (would be quite dificult to shoot a longbow from atop a horse)

Blathergut
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by Blathergut » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:54 pm

Maybe they were like dragoons: Pull up, hop off, fire off arrows.

Gersen
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Gersen » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:55 pm

that's what I thought... probably too difficult to implement within FOG PC.

TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:59 pm

Gersen wrote:that's what I thought... probably too difficult to implement within FOG PC.
There isnt really that many instances of "dragoons" style tactics being used on a tactical level.... Just not very easy to do or very effective (what i mean is get within range, dismount , fire , remount etc)
They were used more as strategic troops, get to a ford ist and dismount to hold , recon etc... At some point dragoons sorta just evolved into a medium/heavy cavalry although keeping infantry terminoligy for officers and formations ie company instead of squadron.

batesmotel
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Re: French Ordonnance Mounted Longbowmen

Post by batesmotel » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:32 pm

Gersen wrote:Despite the name and the graphics, they can't actually fire their longbows. WAD?
They have the option to deploy on foot as longbowmen at the beginning of the game in the same way that some knights can deploy on foot as HF. While mounted they fight with lance and sword. Historically mounted infantry normally rode to the battlefield but dismounted before the actual battle started. In the case of the mounted longbowmen, in the later period for the French Ordinnance there are accounts of them fighting mounted or being trainsed to fight mounted so you have the option to use them as cavalry as well. For only one point more than the corresponding longbowmen it provides a useful option to see the map before deciding how you want to use them in a particular battle.

Chris
....where life is beautiful all the time

Return to “Field of Glory : Tech Support”