Cavalry unit evading out of base to base contact

Tech support for PC & Mac. Please post your OS and version number when reporting bugs.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, FoG PC Moderator, NewRoSoft

jonno
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Cavalry unit evading out of base to base contact

Post by jonno » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:42 am

Hi

How can a unit be in base-to-base contact and still evade?

I had a unit of pike in base-tobase contact with a cavalry unit. The two units are facing towards each other. A third unit charges into the melee, and the cavalry evades.

Hopefully this is a known bug and on the list to be fixed....

Jon
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

Morbio
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Re: Cavalry unit evading out of base to base contact

Post by Morbio » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:34 am

jonno wrote:Hi

How can a unit be in base-to-base contact and still evade?

I had a unit of pike in base-tobase contact with a cavalry unit. The two units are facing towards each other. A third unit charges into the melee, and the cavalry evades.

Hopefully this is a known bug and on the list to be fixed....

Jon
I think this occurs when a cavalry unit follows a router into another unit creating the base-to-base contact. However if on the following turn another unit attacks the cavalry before stationary unit has attacked the cavalry unit then it evades. I think the 'logic' is that although touching the 2 units are not fighting each other and so the evade is possible.

I periodically fall foul of this scenario and it drives me mad! :twisted:

I agree that it should be perceived as a bug and fixed.

pantherboy
Tournament 3rd Place
Tournament 3rd Place

Post by pantherboy » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:59 pm

I don't see it as a bug so much as a requirement for you to first lock that unit into melee by engaging them otherwise they are free to evade. This is where it is useful to observe replays to understand the true situation as so to avoid error.

jonno
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by jonno » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:14 pm

The cavalry unit will cause a loss of cohesion if they "contact" the rear of a unit in pursuit. Yet they are not really engaged. I think they should be in combat if they are in base-to-base. But if the game plays the way it does currently then they shouldn't get to cause the loss of cohesion.

I don't really mind which way they game plays, just as long it is consistent.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

pantherboy
Tournament 3rd Place
Tournament 3rd Place

Post by pantherboy » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:30 pm

I kind of feel the movement to the rear of a unit a seperate issue. Any military formation that has an enemy appear directly behind them is likely to lose cohesion without the need of engagement. When cavalry historically charge it isn't the actual impact that usually carries the day but the fact that the defenders lost their nerve and began to run or cower thus losing a stable line and disintegrating upon impact. In general any formation that holds ranks should repulse a mounted charge. Thus being threatened in the rear should be sufficient to cause some disorder. But this is all a seperate issue I feel.

Return to “Field of Glory : Tech Support”