Server message - multiple turn downloads

Tech support for PC & Mac. Please post your OS and version number when reporting bugs.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, FoG PC Moderator, NewRoSoft

Fedem
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Re: Server message - multiple turn downloads

Post by Fedem » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:15 pm

I think the server is sending emails when watching replays of ended games. I received two in a row today.

Tks

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:02 am

This is supposed to have been fixed so we'll recheck it.

rossc
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by rossc » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:17 pm

I get the same message. I assumed it was because FoG had crashed mid turn a couple of times.

rossc

Post by rossc » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:19 pm

FoG does quit periodically and gives me a "driver" error.
using Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:43 am

Yes if you crash mid turn and have to download again you will get this message.

TJD
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by TJD » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:39 am

Question for Iain. If you run the game in Windowed mode, you can exit the game normally by pressing the X in the upper right corner of the window. You can then restart the game and re-download the turn and cheat if you wish - the turn will not be saved to server if you exit in this way. And you're not killing the process as you would by using Ctrl-Alt-Del or using Task Manager; you're exiting normally. Will this method also be detected and trigger a warning email? Your previous posts suggest that it's killing the process rather than a normal exit that is the trigger.

Thanks,

Tim

petirouge
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by petirouge » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:47 am

Yes, the system is detecting also this kind of behaviour

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:16 am

Basically there is no way to replay a turn that we wont know about. However and whatever you do we'll know about it, track and report it.

batesmotel
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by batesmotel » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:56 pm

iainmcneil wrote:Basically there is no way to replay a turn that we wont know about. However and whatever you do we'll know about it, track and report it.
Never say never...

Some how all this attention to potential "cheating" seems awfully obsessive and if anything, seems to me likely to scare more people away from the game by what it implies about the opponents you're likely to face than having apparently "ironclad" measures to prevent cheating is likely to gain.

Chris
....where life is beautiful all the time

hidde
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Post by hidde » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:29 pm

batesmotel wrote:
Some how all this attention to potential "cheating" seems awfully obsessive and if anything, seems to me likely to scare more people away from the game by what it implies about the opponents ...
Chris
Spot on.

TJD

Post by TJD » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:38 am

hidde wrote:
batesmotel wrote:
Some how all this attention to potential "cheating" seems awfully obsessive and if anything, seems to me likely to scare more people away from the game by what it implies about the opponents ...
Chris
Spot on.
I don't think it's obsessive at all. It's perfectly reasonable to take reasonable safeguards against cheating. All serious games have some sort of refereeing. Slitherine's actions are limited and unobtrusive. Most of the noise on this thread comes from the fact that there was a bug or two in the system initially, but it's pretty quiet now.

Tim

Fedem

Post by Fedem » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:22 am

TJD wrote:
hidde wrote:
batesmotel wrote:
Chris
Spot on.
I don't think it's obsessive at all. It's perfectly reasonable to take reasonable safeguards against cheating. All serious games have some sort of refereeing. Slitherine's actions are limited and unobtrusive. Most of the noise on this thread comes from the fact that there was a bug or two in the system initially, but it's pretty quiet now.

Tim
Agreed.

Tiavals
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by Tiavals » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:18 pm

I got the "multiple downloads" email again yesterday. And as far as I know, my game didn't crash nor did I cheat. :D It's possibly the "reviewing a game that's already ended" thing, but I'm not sure, since I just noticed it today and don't remember what I was doing at the time.

jonathan.powles@gmail.com
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by jonathan.powles@gmail.com » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:19 am

I got it again today. It was possibly a crash yesterday - would it take 24 hours? Otherwise it was just normal saving a game for further attention later that did it

the_iron_duke
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by the_iron_duke » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:07 pm

I have mobile broadband and it does sort of "go to sleep" quite often causing me to get an error message when trying to send a turn. The remedy is to disconnect and reconnect the internet connection. A tip if you get the connection error message is to make sure you don't press cancel. If you do, you'll exit the game and your turn will have to be replayed. So, only press the re-send (or re-try) button and when the connection is back on track it should send okay. I think I've only had to replay a move a couple of times out of many thousands of turns (and that was a while ago before I knew not to press cancel).

Also, I was thinking that the turn where cheating might be most profitable is the first turn for the player who goes second. Might it not be possible for the second player to see how the first player has deployed, quit their turn and then replay it, redeploying their troops to effectively counter their opponent? If so, then I think Slitherine should pay extra attention to game re-downloads for this first turn.

Fedem

Post by Fedem » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:31 pm

Actually the anti cheating system sucks.

All turns are important. The last ones too.

I hope the new version fix this somehow. If not FOG it's not going to last long on my PC.

Chalky
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by Chalky » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:07 pm

Hi Tech support,

I too have been getting this annoying message together with threat now that I won't be able to use server any more :0(

I use the game on iPad and have had some issues with 3G disconnections from the server but it seems to be behaving well recently.

I wouldn't want to lose ability for multiplayer.

Can you confirm that all ok please ?

Many thanks.

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:37 am

Before you are banned you'll be contacted by an admin but please try to resolve the connection issues or we may have to ban you. The problem is it allows an unfair advantage even if it is down to a connection issues.

Fedem

Post by Fedem » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:30 am

Hi, I had a power shut down because of a black out. And didnt receive any email when I had to re download. Is this working ok?

tks!!

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:02 am

Yep - it tracks all behaviour so if its one incidenet out of many turns it wont hit the warning level.

Return to “Field of Glory : Tech Support”