My two Crecy scenarios revised and updated

Moderators: Slitherine Core, NewRoSoft, FoG PC Moderator

ZeaBed
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

My two Crecy scenarios revised and updated

Post by ZeaBed »

1. Battle of Crecy Field updated to v4.0 (16 July 2014).

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/405 ... 20v4.0.zip

2. Crecy Field Revisionist v5.0 (2 May 2015).

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/405 ... 20v5.0.zip

'Crecy Field' reflects the more traditional, frequently conflicting accounts of the historical battle, while 'Crecy Revisionist' adapts some key elements from the section dedicated to Crecy in Christian Teutsch's Victory at Poitiers: The Black Prince and the Medieval Art of War, along with some of the other more recent studies.

Regardless of whether or not you like or enjoy these two scenarios, Teutsch's book is recommended reading (a bit dry in prose style but very detailed and well-researched, including perceptive visits to the original battle sites).
Last edited by ZeaBed on Sun May 03, 2015 2:24 am, edited 9 times in total.
ZeaBed
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Re: My two Crecy scenarios revised and updated

Post by ZeaBed »

Only slightly a propos, but this video won't take much of your time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAUp1rip ... ure=colike
ZeaBed
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by ZeaBed »

Links to v3.2 for both Crecy Field and Crecy Revisionist are now available in the original post.

The only change I made was to edit both scenarios on XML Notepad to reroute the retreat direction for each side, to prevent snaggles, confusion and the self-immolation of routing units. The English now retreat southwards and the French westwards.

Another thing I wanted to change was to diminish the range of the impaired (rain,fatigue) Genoese crossbows by one hex (from 5 to 4), to model some disadvantage compared with the English crossbows. This didn't work because the program would then automatically change the crossbows to slings. Curiously, in the play-testing the slings wreaked more damage on the English units than the crossbows ever had! King Philip should have hired Balearic slingers instead. :roll:
ZeaBed
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by ZeaBed »

Battle of Crecy Field 1346 AD is today updated to version 3.3 in the original post and in the Zeabed scenarios stickie. Just some terrain changes that have been bugging me.

This update will be, mercifully, my last update for the foreseeable future, as I've long completed and updated my intended roster (or bucket list) of all the user-made scenarios that I wanted to do, so my list will remain the same at least until the new version of Field of Glory is released and installed.

Prosper and be happy, friends all. And don't crash into Impassable Terrain. :lol:
Micha63
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by Micha63 »

Thank you for the scenarios, was always a plesure.
ZeaBed
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by ZeaBed »

Micha wrote:Thank you for the scenarios, was always a plesure.
And thank you too Micha, for your many kind posts in response to my scenarios. It's good to know there's somebody out there. Good luck to you with People's General, and enjoy.
Micha63

Post by Micha63 »

Thank you Zeabed.
After almost a year of creating new mods the last mod (Franco Prussian war 1870 ) is almost finished for Peoples General.
Now the scenariomaking starts what will keep me busy for many years.
If you should be interested to help one day it will be wellcome. :D
ZeaBed
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by ZeaBed »

Micha wrote:Thank you Zeabed.
After almost a year of creating new mods the last mod (Franco Prussian war 1870 ) is almost finished for Peoples General.
Now the scenariomaking starts what will keep me busy for many years.
If you should be interested to help one day it will be wellcome. :D

How wonderful scenario gaming is! You expect to be busy for many years making scenarios for a war that lasted only weeks! Such is life.
Micha63

Post by Micha63 »

Oh , you missunderstood me, the scenarios are for much more mods, click here and you will see.

http://www.peoplesgeneral.de/
ZeaBed
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by ZeaBed »

Both scenarios updated on 6 April 2014.
Schweinewitz
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by Schweinewitz »

Hello, ZeaBed! So you're alive and well and still working on your scenarios for this game!

Thanks for your work; I'll try it (and the new scens by the others!) when I reinstalled FoG on my new machine.
ZeaBed
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by ZeaBed »

Yes I still am here. As I wrote before (I think, to you) I'm not doing any new ones but just keep tooling with the old ones. I've had a limited list of historical battles I wanted to turn into scenarios. The ones I have will be it for the time being. As you can see Crecy has bit me deeper than the other ones. Thanks for the shout out!
ZeaBed
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by ZeaBed »

The download link for the Battle of Crecy Field Version 4.0 is available in the original post.
ZeaBed
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by ZeaBed »

The download link for Crecy Field Revisionist also updated 16 July 2014 at the original post.
ZeaBed
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by ZeaBed »

The download link for Crecy Field Revisionist updated 14 April 2015 at the original post.

I incorporated additional information on the composition of the French forces and revised the 'triangle' formation (as much as the hex design would allow) of the English longbows.

I finally got all the way through the scholarly The Battle of Crecy, 1346 by Andrew Ayton and Sir Philip Preston and incorporated it to the basic Teusch insights. The Ayton/Preston volume is Impressive overall, but as a gamer I would have preferred some original battle maps.
ZeaBed
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by ZeaBed »

The download link for Crecy Field Revisionist updated to v5.0 at the original post. Yes, version 5.0. I went over carefully once more over the intricate Ayton book and made a few additional changes, melding the result with previous versions and sources, including of course the Christian Teusch book mentioned in the first post.

This is the last of my contributions to this version of FoG as it will be soon (afaik) replaced with the upgrade. I've enjoyed the experience and the fun. Overall. :)
Cataphract88
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Cataphract88 »

Thank you very much, ZeaBed, for all of the scenarios that you have made available to the forum. :D :D :D :D :D
Richard
ZeaBed
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by ZeaBed »

Thanks Richard. I hope that you enjoyed some of them.
ZeaBed
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by ZeaBed »

According to a book scheduled for publication on this week of September 28, 2015, the real site of the battle of Crecy actually took place miles to the south of the historically accepted site. And don't get me started about the 'wagenberg' and its size, which already has been extensively discussed in recent books. It would be back to square one for all those scenario versions if it were worth it. But it isn't worth it, I think, given the hangfire situation with FoG and the possibility that at this point who knows if even more and further differing versions of the historical battle may yet surface.

If these newer research theories are close to the truth, then it might amuse some of you who, like me, have spent some time dealing with the FoG Crecy scenarios (i.e. Ari Kujala, stockwellpete, and myself). Not to mention the chagrin of those whose research concerning the battle led them to inspect the field of Crecy where no archeological evidence of a medieval battle has ever been found, again according to this new book as explained by medievalists.net. :oops:

http://www.medievalists.net/2015/09/29/ ... iscovered/

Return to “Field of Glory : Scenario Design”