GBoH Scenarios (Bibracte, Chaeronea, Lutetia, The Rhine)

Moderators: Slitherine Core, FoG PC Moderator, NewRoSoft

kilroy1
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

GBoH Scenarios (Bibracte, Chaeronea, Lutetia, The Rhine)

Post by kilroy1 »

I've converted four of the Great Battles of History scenarios for FoG:

Bibracte 58BC - https://www.dropbox.com/s/ey4t5pwlmzar1 ... C.zip?dl=1

Chaeronea 338BC - https://www.dropbox.com/s/28v67vqmo3ddv ... 0.zip?dl=1
Unity version: https://www.dropbox.com/s/30pj7gik85nwc ... n.pck?dl=1

Lutetia (Paris) 52 BC - https://www.dropbox.com/s/o56srz33ebo80 ... C.zip?dl=1

The Rhine 58BC - https://www.dropbox.com/s/3ts9u14ozx4av ... C.zip?dl=1

Comments and suggestions are welcome.

kilroy
Last edited by kilroy1 on Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:25 am, edited 6 times in total.
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

Nice, will check these out once I gave 1.03 up and running.

Just curious, how are you going to simulate the Byzantine Catapharacts. I dont think the editor will allow cat's to be armed with bows.

BTW are you using http://www.ianm1.plus.com/index.html for the scenareo conversions? If so you have only like 76 more to go! :D
kilroy1

Post by kilroy1 »

TheGrayMouser wrote:Nice, will check these out once I gave 1.03 up and running.

Just curious, how are you going to simulate the Byzantine Catapharacts. I dont think the editor will allow cat's to be armed with bows.

BTW are you using http://www.ianm1.plus.com/index.html for the scenareo conversions? If so you have only like 76 more to go! :D
I have many of the original GBoH games, and the computer versions, which I can't get to run on Windows 7. I've given the bows to some of the later Roman Cavalry (not the Parthian Cats), and the AI will not use the bows at all. The human player can use them, but the computer will not. Also, if you place a unit behind a ditch (like at Dara), they frequently will charge across it. The rules for Anarchy need some tweaking IMHO.

Just so that no one misunderstands me, I think Field of Glory is a GREAT game.

TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

Yes , this is a GREAT game, I also owmed the computer versions of the GB's (cant find the disks!) , but I only owned one of the board games (Alexender). I actually broke it out of the closet for referance and was almost tempted to set up one of the maps and counters for some solo play ...(instead i fired up FOG) What I really miss from those games is the double size counters, it would be nice to see them again in a computer game.

I see from your post that cavalry units(as opposed to light cavalry) wont use their bows when controlled by the AI? (Hopefully that can be corrected soon along with medium infantry and chariots not using them either)

I just downloded Chaeronea, will give a go soon,

Your screen shot of Taginea looks pretty good too!

Cheers
pomakli
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

THANK YOU!

Post by pomakli »

Hi Kilroy!

Thanks a lot!

Here we Go now!

With the scenarios of GboH!

:o :o

BR

Pomakli
pomakli
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Rhine!

Post by pomakli »

HI!

The Germans had never a chance!

:cry:

In turn 4 they lost with 67/79 (Initial Army Score/Total Break Points) against Romans with 72/19.

Thanks for the game!

BR

Pomakli
Examinondas
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by Examinondas »

kilroy wrote:I've given the bows to some of the later Roman Cavalry (not the Parthian Cats), and the AI will not use the bows at all. The human player can use them, but the computer will not.
Edit: I have removed all the information about manually editing the scenario files after reading this post viewtopic.php?p=120863#120863 . I was not aware that custom games could be played online and that manually edited scenarios could be dangerous, sorry!
Last edited by Examinondas on Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kilroy1

Post by kilroy1 »

Examinondas wrote:
kilroy wrote:I've given the bows to some of the later Roman Cavalry (not the Parthian Cats), and the AI will not use the bows at all. The human player can use them, but the computer will not.
You can make the AI use the bows by editing the game-fixed.xml file: just change the skirmish value of the desired troop type to 1 and leave the shock value as it is (otherwise, they will become Light troops)
Thanks, I'll try that.
Donegal
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Donegal »

How do you convert the GBOH scenarios? From PC or tabletop game?
In Taginae for example, the deploy seems similar ,but not the same. Good job btw :D
kilroy1

Post by kilroy1 »

Donegal wrote:How do you convert the GBOH scenarios? From PC or tabletop game?
In Taginae for example, the deploy seems similar ,but not the same. Good job btw :D

Thanks, I used the tabletop version.
pomakli
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Chaeronea!

Post by pomakli »

I played the Macedonians!

They won with 37/2 to 38/42 (Army score/Break points)!

The right flank of the Greeks were very passive!

Thanks again!

Pomakli
batesmotel
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Scaling?

Post by batesmotel »

I'm currently playing Bibracte as a multi-player scenario (which I gather I shouldn't be but I accepted the challenge before I realized it was custom.)

As a general thought, it might make more sense to scale down the number of BGs you use for the FoG PC versions from the number of units in the original GBH battles. At least in Bibracte, you seem to have an excessive number of Roman legionaries which results in them starting out packed into three solid lines of units across nearly the full board width. I think the game would probably play better and be a better recreation of the battle in FoG PC if you used one FoG BG for every two or three GBH units. Take a look at the FoG Pharsalus scenario and compare it with the GBH version to get some idea of relative scales that would work. (I haven't played GBH Caesar for years but I think it included a Pharsalus scenario.)

Chris
keyth
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by keyth »

Thanks for translating these to FoG, but I fear something has been lost in translation. If you check out the points values of the armies in each battle, they are seriously out of balance. You are pretty much guaranteed a win if you pick the side with the higher points.

Cheers,

Keyth
kilroy1

Post by kilroy1 »

keyth wrote:Thanks for translating these to FoG, but I fear something has been lost in translation. If you check out the points values of the armies in each battle, they are seriously out of balance. You are pretty much guaranteed a win if you pick the side with the higher points.

Cheers,

Keyth

Yes, they are not balanced. GMT's GBoH series of games really did not try and balance the battles. They put you into a battle to see if you could do better than the historical commanders. Sometimes it can be fun being the underdog. :wink:

kilroy
keyth
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by keyth »

Ah, OK... I'll shut up then :) Must have had my multiplayer head on!

Cheers,

Keyth
kilroy1

Post by kilroy1 »

The Chaeronea scenario has been revised. Please go to the top of this thread.

kilroy
cothyso
NewRoSoft
NewRoSoft

Post by cothyso »

kilroy wrote:
TheGrayMouser wrote:Nice, will check these out once I gave 1.03 up and running.

I have many of the original GBoH games, and the computer versions, which I can't get to run on Windows 7. I've given the bows to some of the later Roman Cavalry (not the Parthian Cats), and the AI will not use the bows at all. The human player can use them, but the computer will not. Also, if you place a unit behind a ditch (like at Dara), they frequently will charge across it. The rules for Anarchy need some tweaking IMHO.

Just so that no one misunderstands me, I think Field of Glory is a GREAT game.
I have all three of the GBoH games from GBCE box. they run fine on Windows 7 64 bits. And they are better than FoG (as it is in it's present state).
petergarnett
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by petergarnett »

Interesting that the GBoH games run on win7 as I bought a new PC 18 months ago with Vista & swapped it with my son's old PC as it would not run those games!

I tend to compare FoG & GBoH a lot - I think the PC version of FoG is becoming as a good a challenge to play as GBoH.
cothyso
NewRoSoft
NewRoSoft

Post by cothyso »

I hope for this too, I was in FoG's (as lots of other Slitherine games) beta because I really wanted something new instead the old GBCE. Hopefully, FoG will become and it won't be necessary for me to work to finish my own ancient computer wargame.

ps: I've made the no momentum & other patches reverse engineering patches for the GBCE. if you need help run them on W7, just let me know and I'll help.
kilroy1

Post by kilroy1 »

The Chaeronea 338BC scenario had been updated/revised and includes units from Immortal Fire.

kilroy
Last edited by kilroy1 on Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Field of Glory : Scenario Design”