battle of Lake Peipus 1242 AD

Moderators: Slitherine Core, FoG PC Moderator, NewRoSoft

Post Reply
omarquatar
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Posts: 295
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:48 am

battle of Lake Peipus 1242 AD

Post by omarquatar » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:25 pm

a marginal, but fascinating battle during the Northern Crusades, made famous by Eisenstein and Prokofiev

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10453114/Battle ... 0%20AD.rar

TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier
Posts: 4673
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:42 pm

Post by TheGrayMouser » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:34 pm

Cant wait to try this one out!

TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier
Posts: 4673
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:42 pm

Post by TheGrayMouser » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:18 am

Nice scenario, very tough game for the Order... Lost the ist time and barely managed a win the second (yes, vs the Ai :) )

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator
Posts: 9586
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:50 pm
Contact:

Post by stockwellpete » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:52 am

TheGrayMouser wrote:Nice scenario, very tough game for the Order... Lost the ist time and barely managed a win the second (yes, vs the Ai :) )
It is trying to cross the river that is the difficulty in this one. If the Knights of the Order are engaged while trying to cross they are in trouble. It is a very good scenario.

omarquatar
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Posts: 295
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:48 am

Post by omarquatar » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:17 pm

stockwellpete wrote:
TheGrayMouser wrote:Nice scenario, very tough game for the Order... Lost the ist time and barely managed a win the second (yes, vs the Ai :) )
It is trying to cross the river that is the difficulty in this one. If the Knights of the Order are engaged while trying to cross they are in trouble. It is a very good scenario.
thanks pete
it's not a river, the marsh line represents the frozen lake shore...according to my source (the osprey book by david nicholle, not one of his best IMHO) the terrain was far from even and offered some repair to the defending russians

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator
Posts: 9586
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:50 pm
Contact:

Post by stockwellpete » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:38 pm

omarquatar wrote:it's not a river, the marsh line represents the frozen lake shore...according to my source (the osprey book by david nicholle, not one of his best IMHO) the terrain was far from even and offered some repair to the defending russians
Oh, I was meant to be defending, was I? Now he tells me! :lol: I'll have to get the Eisenstein film out at Xmas and see how it is depicted there. Did you look at the film again, Frank?

maximvs
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Posts: 321
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:11 pm
Location: Nottingham UK

Post by maximvs » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:32 pm

A good scenario. Not an easy task for the Crusaders by any means!

omarquatar
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Posts: 295
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:48 am

Post by omarquatar » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:52 pm

maximvs wrote:A good scenario. Not an easy task for the Crusaders by any means!
well, the russians won the battle, didn't they? :)

tyrkir
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:03 am

Post by tyrkir » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:23 pm

Very nice scenario. Tried it once and managed to secure a win with the "crusaders". The pivotal moment of the battle was the death of the Russians' left wing commander which caused the whole wing to panick.

Otherwise, I think I would have lost since the Danes were having a very bad time against the Mongols, with their leader killed and all their units disrupted or fragmented.

Now I need to try it with the Russians...

Many thanks to the creator!

Post Reply

Return to “Field of Glory : Scenario Design”