'Ain Jalut, 1260 AD

Moderators: Slitherine Core, FoG PC Moderator, NewRoSoft

tonymcenery
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

'Ain Jalut, 1260 AD

Post by tonymcenery » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:24 pm

As promised, a first bash at the battle of 'Ain Jalut. I have adapted the army lists used from ones available for the tabletop version of Field of Glory as they seemed about right. I have divided the Mongol army into a full strength and a part strength Tuman - if you think that what Kitbuqa had was one over strength Tuman, feel free to edit the text of the units in Baydar's Tuman to reflect that.

I have not included some of the exotic features of the battle, notably the handful of Egyptian handgunners. While they were at the battle, it does not appear they were in any great number, nor does it appear that they had any effect, other than providing a little novelty.

I have played this over a few times as either side and have enjoyed it. I hope you enjoy it too. Pete - the map is the right way up and the forces the right way around (I think)! It is a pity that we cannot set 'rout points' on the battle field as you can in games like Medieval Total War etc - they do provide for a bit of variety and, more importantly, a limited control of routing forces.

I have set this battle near Zi'rin, using Google Earth to get an idea of the landscape today. I have set it to the East rather than the West of the town, largely because the landscape there seems, to me at least, to better allow me to reproduce some of the features of the battle (two Egyptian divisons hidden in valleys either side of the Mongol vanguard).

Anyway - if you like cavalry battles, you should enjoy this. I am working on a variant of this battle where the Kingdom of Acre submits to the Mongols and sends forces out with Kitbuqa. Not at all far fetched, though if it had happened 'Ain Jalut would probably not have happened where it happened - the Kingdom of Acre aided the Muslim forces on ther march to 'Ain Jalut. Had that help not been available and had the Kingdom of Acre been actively hostile at this point, who knows where the Muslim army would have faced the Mongols. Still, it may make for an interesting 'what if'. Enough rambling - link below.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17052915/%27Ain%20Jalut.zip

UPDATE - WHAT IF scenario with the Kingdom of Acre joining the Mongols at 'Ain Jalut is available at the following link:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17052915/%27Ain ... t%20if.zip

THIS HAS BEEN MODIFIED TO RESET HUGH OF ANTIOCH'S LEADERSHIPS STYLE AND STATUS 22/1/11
Last edited by tonymcenery on Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Examinondas
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by Examinondas » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:38 pm

Just finished playing as the Mameluks against the AI.

I think I have never seen a scenario where the terrain played such a crucial role. With no lancers on the left wing and the Mongol HC on the center, I decided to attack with my right wing and hold everywhere else. This resulted in the Sultan's elite HC getting jammed between the Mongol HC and the impassable terrain on the right.

At the end, the menace of the Mongol HC never materialized because they didn't charge nor move, and my right wing ended flanking them. However, at that point my left had already crushed the Mongol's right, so this was not as decisive as expected. I took a screenshot of this moment (note the red "V" in the minimap - it's the Mongol LC, which the AI never used aggressively)

A couple of turns later the Mongol HC had vaporized and the game ended 19 to 71.

A very nice scenario, thanks!

tonymcenery
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by tonymcenery » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:52 pm

Thanks - glad you enjoyed it! It might be possible to make the impassable area of the hill passable. However, in reality it is a very steep hill, so it probably would not have been attempted by the cavalry. I give the Sultan 10 out of 10 for setting this situation up. He had Baibars bait the Mongols and bring them via a feigned retreat to the spot where his divisions were waiting. Then he attacked. It seems a bit rich for the Mongols of all people to fall for a feigned retreat - but they did. Anyway, glad you enjoyed. Off on holiday for a week or so. Will have a go at another scenario when I get back.

P.S. The screenshot is great!

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Re: 'Ain Jalut, 1260 AD

Post by stockwellpete » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:15 am

tonymcenery wrote: I have played this over a few times as either side and have enjoyed it. I hope you enjoy it too. Pete - the map is the right way up and the forces the right way around (I think)! It is a pity that we cannot set 'rout points' on the battle field as you can in games like Medieval Total War etc - they do provide for a bit of variety and, more importantly, a limited control of routing forces.
Yes, this is an exciting scenario, most definitely. The lack of "rout points" here is not too much of a problem either, but it is in your third Byzantine scenario where you have set up an ambush in a narrow pass

tonymcenery
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by tonymcenery » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:26 pm

Yes, I agree Pete - it would be good to have rout points there. Circle the wagons for the middle group would be a good strategy!

amenofi64
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by amenofi64 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:11 pm

Tryed as Mameluk, great scenario, best balanced. Great job. :wink:

tonymcenery
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by tonymcenery » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:06 pm

Thanks - I will get the variant out with the Kingdom of Acre taking part too later this month. Will mix things up a bit!

tonymcenery
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by tonymcenery » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:31 pm

As promised, a 'what if' version of the battle has been added in an updated note at the end of the first note in this thread. The Kingdom of Acre joins the Mongols in the attack on Egypt. Enjoy.

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:44 pm

tonymcenery wrote:As promised, a 'what if' version of the battle has been added in an updated note at the end of the first note in this thread. The Kingdom of Acre joins the Mongols in the attack on Egypt. Enjoy.
Cheers Tony, I'll have a look at this on Sunday. :D

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:39 pm

tonymcenery wrote:As promised, a 'what if' version of the battle has been added in an updated note at the end of the first note in this thread. The Kingdom of Acre joins the Mongols in the attack on Egypt. Enjoy.
Tony, this will not load as side 2 has two C-in-C's.

tonymcenery
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by tonymcenery » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:52 am

Hi Pete,

you have an old version - that issue was fixed, just download again. Best,

Tony

rjv
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by rjv » Fri May 06, 2011 8:47 pm

Just had my first attempt against the Mameluke AI (neutral). I was not optimistic at first, but I still ended up winning about 35 to 90. Was quite tense for a while, though I do find very large battles a bit tedious because of the number of BGs to activate or wait for (when the AI is playing). Still the large numbers look good.

Return to “Field of Glory : Scenario Design”