Companions Cup

Moderators: Slitherine Core, FoG PC Moderator, NewRoSoft

ianiow
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Re: Companions Cup

Post by ianiow » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:30 pm

stockwellpete wrote:
Cheers Pers-Anders. My army just collapsed in 2 turns, didn't it? I thought that I had stabilised things a bit as well. Just shows what I know, doesn't it? :roll: There must be a way to fight the Thracians with the Indians but it is beyond me. My nellies and heavy chariots need open ground, the archers and MF infantry need rough terrain - yet if they fight separately from each other then they get destroyed (particularly the nellies and chariots). And then the Thracians have Greek Allies with hoplites to block the nellies and chariots in open ground anyway - and they also have what seemed like dozens and dozens of skirmishers and MF infantry to engage the Indian archers and other foot soldiers. The archers, given that there are so many of them, can only evade combat for a certain amount of time before they are forced to melee. I like to have a solid battle-line in my army too - with some superior troops at the centre of it, if possible. But this Indian army really is a powder-puff outfit in comparison. Sorry team. :oops:
I think that the Thracians in Very Difficult going are very strong against any of the other armies in this group. On reflection, the only army that would stand a chance are the Macedonians who have 27 greek and thacian MF peltasts and 6 superior MF hypaspist too! A pity all the battles are now set. Our Indians will just have to struggle on and hope for a miracle in the other games!

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Ps. Game 4 (open) Achmaenid (Europe) – hidde 15/50 vs Macedonian (UK&Eire) - ianiow 0/55. The Persians have lost the hill but have caused/are causing heavy shooting casulties on the Macs as they shoot and retreat in the face of the plodding pikemen.

ericdoman1
Brigadier-General - 8.8 cm Pak 43/41

Post by ericdoman1 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:11 pm

Pete

No prob mate.

The Thracians are probably the toughest opponents for you due to the horde of lf and lh.

Also you were thrown in the deep end by helping us out with about a day or two to spare and so had no chance to practice with anything.

Noticed I have 2 messages

Whatever happens you are a star

Cheers

Eric

jonno
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by jonno » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:03 pm

Game over - victory to the Thracians - good close game.
Thracian(ROTW) – jonno (68/76) vs Classical Indian(NA) - iversonjm (83/79)

Well played by the Indians - the heavy chariots caused damage in the open....
But the Thracians scraped home with a win

Report etc on page 5.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

iversonjm
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by iversonjm » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:06 pm

jonno wrote:Game over - victory to the Thracians - good close game.
Thracian(ROTW) – jonno (68/76) vs Classical Indian(NA) - iversonjm (83/79)

Well played by the Indians - the heavy chariots caused damage in the open....
But the Thracians scraped home with a win

Report etc on page 5.

Great game & well done. Real slugfest.

Fedem
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Post by Fedem » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:26 pm

Game 5 (very open) Alexandrian Macedonian (ROTW) vs Late Achaemenid Persian (NA)

Fedem ROTW 25/50 vs Batesmotel NA 49/49

The Macedonians were able to concentrate their Pikes on the middle protecting his left flank with the little terrain they find (trees broken, ground and some hills on their favour) with the majority of their MF and some Light Spears Cav. Right Flank we pushed with our lancers. However we didnt have any choice that charge uphill on some ocations to avoid being shot by their arrows.
Finally we were able to prevail leaving them with little space to go. Camp looted also helped.

Will try to add a screenie later.

Tks for the battle batesmotel. Tough to fight these Macedonians in the open...

Got the screenie but it doesnt fit well in here....too wide it seems. It takes too much time so sorry :)
Last edited by Fedem on Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ericdoman1

Post by ericdoman1 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:37 pm

North America vs Rest of the World

Round 1 ROTW vs North America

Game 1 (very crowded) Thracian(ROTW) – jonno 68/76 vs Classical Indian(NA) - iversonjm 83/79
Game 2 (crowded) Thracian(NA) – TGM vs Skythian(ROTW) – Massina-NZ - ?
Game 3 (mixed) Classical Indian (ROTW) – rexhurley 52/47 vs Skythian(NA) – Todd645 39/67
Game 4 (open) Alexandrian Macedonian(NA) – Deeter vs Late Archie Persians (ROTW) - tullius - started
Game 5 (very open) Alexandrian Macedonian (ROTW) – Fedem 25/50 vs Late Archie Persians (NA) - batesmotel 49/49

North America 1 vs ROTW 2

Europe vs UK and Ireland

Round 1 Europe vs UK & EIRE

Game 1 (very crowded) Classical Indian (UK&Eire) – stockwellpete 70/64 vs Thracian(Europe) - cavehobbit 49/74
Game 2 (crowded) Classical Indian(Europe) – Finir vs Skythian (UK&Eire) - Eric - ?
Game 3 (mixed) Achmaenid (UK&Eire) – maharg25 vs Macedonian(Europe) - dvorkin - started
Game 4 (open) Achmaenid (Europe) – hidde 15/50 vs Macedonian (UK&Eire) - ianiow 0/55?
Game 5 (very open) Thracian (UK&Eire)- Triarius vs Skythian (Europe) - Boores - ?

Europe 1 vs UK & Eire 0

massina_nz

Game 2 ROTW vs NA

Post by massina_nz » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:36 am

Skythians managed to win initiative and get a relatively open 'crowded' map. They've come will Allies so it will be interesting to see how this unfolds.

ericdoman1

Post by ericdoman1 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:53 pm

Keep the screenshots rolling in guys and cheers

Does anybody know where Finir is?

hidde
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Post by hidde » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:04 pm

ericdoman1 wrote:Keep the screenshots rolling in guys and cheers

Does anybody know where Finir is?
All I can tell you is that I had a pm from him 20/2 where we discussed armies.
So he should know we have started.

ericdoman1

Post by ericdoman1 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:57 pm

Cheers

ianiow

Post by ianiow » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:25 pm

Five turns on and nothing much to report. The Persian camp was sacked and there were a few minor skirmishes on the left hill. The Persians continue to shoot and retreat although a few of them are making a stand on the right hand hill. The game is still in the balance.

Game 4 (open) Achmaenid (Europe) – hidde 15/50 vs Macedonian (UK&Eire) - ianiow 2/55

massina_nz

Turn 4 - Game 2 Skythians (ROTW) v Thracians (NA)

Post by massina_nz » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:05 am

On the right flank the Allied Offensive Spear are making good inroads into the Lt Spear armed Thracians. And managing to hold off the Thracian cavalry.

On the left flank, The Skythian cavalry are holding their own, and the Black Sea hoplites are makign their presence felt. The Skythians have managed a few rear attacks so far.

ericdoman1

Post by ericdoman1 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:44 am

Well do we have an upset on our hands.

NA would have been favourites in my view. Although it isn't over yet. Remember we have 2 more rounds.

It also seems that some armies are doing a lot better than others.

Who knows the bp difference at the end may be crucial.

Thanks again guys for the screenshots. "Every Picture Tells a Story"

deeter
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Post by deeter » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:55 pm

I don't have time to post screenshots, but here's a quick update on my game vs. tulius:

It's Turn 5 and my Macs (2/48) are continuing their advance on the Persian right (21/62). The Persian right wing cavalry have been routed or driven off the map by my Agema who are now engaging a line of Asiatic hoplites deployed along a hill side while my pikes hury up to support them.

The Persian center is dominated by a patch of vinyards held by cresent shield MF. My Hypaspists (also MF) are moving to assualt this position. Next up are more Persian hoplites holding more hill side. Alex himself has charged them and Fraged one with pikes closing in.

The Persian left, made up of various cavalry, chariots and light troops is coming under attack by Companions and more pikes in extended formation. I expect a decision in a few turns.

Deeter

ericdoman1

Update

Post by ericdoman1 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:43 pm

North America vs Rest of the World

Round 1 ROTW vs North America

Game 1 (very crowded) Thracian(ROTW) – jonno 68/76 vs Classical Indian(NA) - iversonjm 83/79
Game 2 (crowded) Thracian(NA) – TGM 27/77 vs Skythian(ROTW) – Massina-NZ - 6/73
Game 3 (mixed) Classical Indian (ROTW) – rexhurley 52/47 vs Skythian(NA) – Todd645 39/67
Game 4 (open) Alexandrian Macedonian(NA) – Deeter 2/48 vs Late Archie Persians (ROTW) - tullius 21/62
Game 5 (very open) Alexandrian Macedonian (ROTW) – Fedem 25/50 vs Late Archie Persians (NA) - batesmotel 49/49

North America 1 vs ROTW 2

Europe vs UK and Ireland

Round 1 Europe vs UK & EIRE

Game 1 (very crowded) Classical Indian (UK&Eire) – stockwellpete 70/64 vs Thracian(Europe) - cavehobbit 49/74
Game 2 (crowded) Classical Indian(Europe) – Finir vs Skythian (UK&Eire) - Eric - ?
Game 3 (mixed) Achmaenid (UK&Eire) – maharg25 vs Macedonian(Europe) - dvorkin - started
Game 4 (open) Achmaenid (Europe) – hidde 15/50 vs Macedonian (UK&Eire) - ianiow 2/55?
Game 5 (very open) Thracian (UK&Eire)- Triarius vs Skythian (Europe) - Boores - ?

Thanks

Triarii
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Triarii » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:15 pm

My apologies to Boores -I am away from a FoGable PC until Sunday 4th March.
Work does get in the way!

ericdoman1

Post by ericdoman1 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:45 pm

Well Dirk/Finir and I have started our game.

I chose the map and not a hill in sight, whcih is a bit of a pain as I have prob been able to see only about half of his army.

The map is the one with a huge forest on my left flank. From my base edge it is quite narrow but get larger upto midway. There are spots of marsh and clear ground within.

On Dirk's left flank is another wooded area.

Open space in the centre where he has pushed his cav forward to slow me down.

The downside for me is he prob has 2/3 of his army in the big wood and the rest are trying to move across to fit in as well. I am not sure my Thracians are going to take on the Indian army by themselves and cav and hf aren't particulraly good in woods.

Anyways I am on 0/73 and Dirk is on 5/63

deeter

Post by deeter » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:55 pm

Mac vs, Persian update:

The Macedonian advance continues with the Agema on the left sweeping around the open Persian flank which is now being engaged frontally by pikes and Hypaspists. More Hypaspists are clearing the nearby vinyards while Alex (supported by pikes) continues to hammer away at the hoplites holding the center. Even charging uphill verses hoplites, the odds favar the boy king and his lancers. Things are also going well on the extended right, with both Persian chariots removed from play.

Current score: Macs (2/48) vs. Persians (48/62)

The Persian just don't have anything that can stand up to the Macedonians. Small wonder Alex was able to beat Darius. I doubt he would've done so well against the troops of Cyrus. Tullius is manfully sustaining the fight, depsite his considerable disadvantages.

Deeter

ericdoman1

Post by ericdoman1 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:45 pm

Well another update in mine and Dirk's game. Whom I should say is still not well due to a virus.

The Thracians ahve got to grips with the Indians in the wood. We are prob outnumbered 2 to 1 and it is beginning to tell, as our flanks get smaller and smaller. The centre is not looking good as well. I have 2 fragged thracians, 2 disrupted thracians (both next to one of the fragged) and a Thracian on the far elft who is very near auto rout. Dirk has 2 units fragged a unit that is dirupted and prob 1 or 2 close to auto rout. However peering into the woods beyond, there are more. He had 5 elsd in the centre and still has, facing the Black Sea Hoplites. One of mine has routed but his will prob go at the end of my turn. The other 4 are ready to charge in and he has brought up some cav in support just in case a few may become disrupted or worse.

As for the right flank. Dirk had more Indians than I had anticipated. My armoured cav are fighting a few and doing well but again he has numbers.

The score is Skythians 11/75, Indians 25/63

I reckon at then end of Dirk's turn we will ahve prob lost 6 to 8 bps each. It aslo depends how my Hoplites can do against the elephants. In other words we are or will be fighting across the board. I have a goodish lead at the moment but the 20 lf I have remaining aren't really going to be that much of a threat.

Good game.

deeter

Post by deeter » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:41 am

The Macs (6/48) have successfully routed the Persian Army (64/62) on Turn 8, killing a FC in almost the last combat and moving adjacent to the Persian camp. Thanks for the game, Tulius.

My thoughts now go out to TGM who must carry the day for the NA team.

Deeter

Return to “Field of Glory : Leagues & Tournaments & Seeking Opponents”