Moderators: Slitherine Core, NewRoSoft, FoG PC Moderator

hidde
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Re: Companions Cup

Post by hidde » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:58 pm

TGM
Ok, I can understand that feeling.
I object, however, to being labeled a member of some sort of club dedicated to keep The Secret hidden to outsiders :wink:
But as you say, it should be about how to move forward.
Clearly we differ in opinion. My view is to let everyone use it as long as it is in play.
Not using it is fine too. One way to ensure everyone knows about what is agreed upon is to mention it directly in chat when starting a game.

ericdoman1
Brigadier-General - 8.8 cm Pak 43/41

Post by ericdoman1 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:22 pm

I am not going to use these qutes but please check out what I ahve mentioned before.

As this is going nowhere and now it is becoming a little bit heated. STOP IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Right I have pmd the designer. One of those things I learnt a long time ago, when playing in competitions. You can have a debate with a fellow player over something in the rules that you both have different interpretations of.

The debate can go on for ever. SO we would call over an umpire, he will make that decision and we go with it.

So I have asked Keith, the designer before about it he could not see it. So maybe it is part of the game.

However I am going to wait on his reply.

When I receive it I will notify everybody about it immediately.

At this mo. I am organising the comp cup so I will be the umpire until we get an answer from Keith

Firstly the rear charge can be used until the end of round 1.

Hopefully by then I will know if it is or isn't a bug.

If it isn't and is part of the game, as with the map, moving, pretty colours and so on. We use it.

If it is a bug but we have to wait for it to be erased, we do not use it. At the beginning of every game we play, be it friendlies, leagues, comps whatever, mention it to your opponent. If any player still uses it, even by accident ( I can not see how you can accidentally make that move). He has lost the game, OK.

Now I want everybody to shake hands and have a nice cool beer or in my case real ale.

Ta

hidde
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Post by hidde » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:46 am

Good call, Eric.
I'll sign up for that.

batesmotel
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by batesmotel » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:18 pm

EricS of Hexwar has posted that the split-move rear charge should be fixed in 1.7.3 upgrade. (viewtopic.php?f=91&t=32224&p=305732#p305732)

Chris
....where life is beautiful all the time

ericdoman1

Post by ericdoman1 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:13 pm

Hi Chris

Yep got an email as well.

Based on that

It can be used in round 1 BUT for round 2 and onwards At the beginning of every game we play, be it friendlies, leagues, comps whatever, mention it to your opponent. If any player still uses it, even by accident ( I can not see how you can accidentally make that move). He has lost the game, OK.

If you think this may be a bit harsh any other thoughts, player misses a turn.

Huzzah, good stuff and lovely jubbly.

On withthe games

deeter
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Post by deeter » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:29 pm

I certainly had no intention to offend anyone with my remarks, and appologise for any offense taken. I never singled out anyone by name. My point was to encourage veteran players to post the tricks they've discovered so as to enlighten the rest of us. That said, I'm now dissappointed that the rear charge bug will be fixed before I ever get a chance to use it. :lol:

For those who point out that FoG PC is totally different than FoG TT, the whole combat system is a direct port from the table top (excpet for the ludicrous casualties generated on the PC) as are most game mechanics. Giving cavalry a bounce move was mitigated by mandatory disruption on the TT and should be included on the PC.

TGM: "Now excuse me, I need to hop over to the LOEG thread to suggest renaming it to the LOHCP League of Hyper-Competative Persons"

And that's why I no longer particpate in the LOEG.

Deeter

ericdoman1

Post by ericdoman1 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:33 pm

Thanks Deeter for your pm and the comment.

I guess you will be joining this league of hyper competitive gentlemen rather than the LOEG after winning 6 to 62 or whatever the huge score was:)

Still waiting on a few scores to come in and i believe Triarius our beloved captain is now able to use a pc.

As for my game and Dirk

At the mo I am on 17/75 and Dirk is 42/63

My Thracians in the woods have performed miracles aided by numerous routed units bursting through their friends behind them. I still haven't figured out some of these evade, rout moves and which directions they rout, evade.

The ellies have crashed into my hops and it is about evens although I am double teaming a few. As for my far right the Skythian Cav are doing a good job. Wth the aid of the poor lf are involved in a shooting match vs the Indians and so far we are ahead.

batesmotel
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by batesmotel » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:42 pm

deeter wrote:I certainly had no intention to offend anyone with my remarks, and appologise for any offense taken. I never singled out anyone by name. My point was to encourage veteran players to post the tricks they've discovered so as to enlighten the rest of us. That said, I'm now dissappointed that the rear charge bug will be fixed before I ever get a chance to use it. :lol:

For those who point out that FoG PC is totally different than FoG TT, the whole combat system is a direct port from the table top (excpet for the ludicrous casualties generated on the PC) as are most game mechanics. Giving cavalry a bounce move was mitigated by mandatory disruption on the TT and should be included on the PC.

TGM: "Now excuse me, I need to hop over to the LOEG thread to suggest renaming it to the LOHCP League of Hyper-Competative Persons"

And that's why I no longer particpate in the LOEG.

Deeter
The problem with causing loss of cohesion for cavalry that can't break off in the PC version is due to differences in timing for the PC fromthe TT version that make it too easy to trap cavalry so it can't break off. In the TT version, the cavalry normally will charge in and fight both impact and melee on the owning player's turn and at the end of that turn it will break off if necessary. In FoG PC, it doesn't fight the round of melee until the opposing player turn and hence doesn't get to break off until after the opposing player can move to swarm the cavalry to prevent the break off. The current PC mechanism isn't perfect but is almost certainly better than the alternative without a very major change on how the PC turn sequence works.

Chris
....where life is beautiful all the time

ericdoman1

A reminder and have I said it is very close

Post by ericdoman1 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:54 pm

Round 1 ROTW vs North America

Game 1 (very crowded) Thracian(ROTW) – jonno 68/76 vs Classical Indian(NA) - iversonjm 83/79
Game 2 (crowded) Thracian(NA) – TGM 77/77 vs Skythian(ROTW) – Massina-NZ - 43/73
Game 3 (mixed) Classical Indian (ROTW) – rexhurley 52/47 vs Skythian(NA) – Todd645 39/67
Game 4 (open) Alexandrian Macedonian(NA) – Deeter 6/48 vs Late Archie Persians (ROTW) - tullius 64/62
Game 5 (very open) Alexandrian Macedonian (ROTW) – Fedem 25/50 vs Late Archie Persians (NA) - batesmotel 49/49

North America 2 (252 bps) vs ROTW 3 (254 bps)

Europe vs UK and Ireland

Round 1 Europe vs UK & EIRE

Game 1 (very crowded) Classical Indian (UK&Eire) – stockwellpete 70/64 vs Thracian(Europe) - cavehobbit 49/74
Game 2 (crowded) Classical Indian(Europe) – Finir 42/63 vs Skythian (UK&Eire) - Eric - 17/75
Game 3 (mixed) Achmaenid (UK&Eire) – maharg25 vs Macedonian(Europe) - dvorkin - started
Game 4 (open) Achmaenid (Europe) – hidde 25/50 vs Macedonian (UK&Eire) - ianiow 21/55
Game 5 (very open) Thracian (UK&Eire)- Triarius vs Skythian (Europe) - Boores - ?

Europe 1 (108bps) vs UK & Eire 0 (112bps)

Remember you do not have the same players using the same armies each round. A huge sigh of relief from quite a few players I guess.

Well I did comment on this before but I had noticed a team practicing prior to the beginning of round 1. Preparation is the key?

Any news from Triarius/Boores and Dvorkin/Maharg25 please?

Triarii
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Triarii » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:51 pm

Hi Boores - the Thracians are tramping over the very open Skythian plains - pw = veryflat

ericdoman1

Post by ericdoman1 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:35 pm

Welcome back Captain

deeter

Post by deeter » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:46 am

Chris: "The current PC mechanism isn't perfect but is almost certainly better than the alternative without a very major change on how the PC turn sequence works."

With the exception that it rewards players for doing something that they should be penalized for.

Deeter

ericdoman1

Post by ericdoman1 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:10 pm

Well there is a distinct possibility that a few games will have to replay a turn or two.

I am guessing in my game vs Finir we are still on 17/75 vs 42/63

When the score is after we played another turn each 19/75 vs 61/63

It is Finir's turn and unless something incredible happened (which it did). I should pick up the 2 bps I need.
No idea what to do to be honest. I will leave it up to Dirk in our game and the other players can decide what to do.

ericdoman1

Post by ericdoman1 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:46 pm

Deeter

We are going to include penalties as the rear charge is now classed as a bug. If blocking break offs is also a bug then that too will be penalized and or be erased anyway..

Once more I have contacted EricS about the blocking of break offs, why do some troops stand when pursued even though tehy would normally evade and why do some mounted units reamin in contact with foot whoa re still steady.

Again and this is the final time. Firstly all things about bugs, exploits whatever discuss that on the correct link not on this one please.

Finally this game is very different to the TT game, pt structure, terrain, command structure, battle group sizes, generals abilities rallying), combat mechanics (% instead on D6 and shooting in both turns), movement. So it is quite obviously a completely different game. So just play the game as it is, using whatever mechanics are set in place. If they are classed as bugs in the future, great they will be erased. If players are exploting the rules in some way, well so be it. It happens all of the time in all other ruddy games and some people dare I say class that as being skillful!

AGAIN NO MORE NON RELATED COMP CUP COMMENTS IN THIS FORUM PLEASE

Finir
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Finir » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:31 pm

ericdoman1 wrote:Well there is a distinct possibility that a few games will have to replay a turn or two.

I am guessing in my game vs Finir we are still on 17/75 vs 42/63

When the score is after we played another turn each 19/75 vs 61/63

It is Finir's turn and unless something incredible happened (which it did). I should pick up the 2 bps I need.
No idea what to do to be honest. I will leave it up to Dirk in our game and the other players can decide what to do.
For me it's okay ... bugs occurs and until now it was not defined as bug so it could be used ... let us play the game as it is and we should try to evade the problem now.

ericdoman1

Result

Post by ericdoman1 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:35 pm

We have both agreed on this score

eric (Skythians) 25/75 vs Finir (Classical Indians) 66/63

Cheers Dirk and hope you are getting better

Finir
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Re: Result

Post by Finir » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:38 pm

ericdoman1 wrote:We have both agreed on this score

eric (Skythians) 25/75 vs Finir (Classical Indians) 66/63

Cheers Dirk and hope you are getting better
Yes, it's better now. The virus is still there but currently i try to ignore it :)

hidde
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Post by hidde » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:25 pm

Oh, man...this is too much :(
Four turns down the drain. I don't think I can muster the energy to do this and all my other games for the third time just yet.
I'll probably take a break over the weekend and play something totally different. Haven't played anything but FOG for a long,long time!
Also to be reasonably sure it doesn't happen again...

ericdoman1

Post by ericdoman1 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:08 pm

Anders

What the hell are you talikng about LOL

A right big PITA but every obstacle is a challenge.

Come on guys can we please finish by next weekend.

hidde
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Post by hidde » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:23 pm

I PM:d Ian and suggested we try and sync so we could play out the game in one go.
If we finish the game it's safe in case of another attack,right.
I really hate doing stuff over again...and I'm so damned slow it takes time even if I've done it once(or twice) already :shock:

Return to “Field of Glory : Leagues & Tournaments & Seeking Opponents”