Different strokes...

Moderators: Slitherine Core, FoG PC Moderator, NewRoSoft

Aristides
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Different strokes...

Post by Aristides » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:00 am

I love this game. I really do.

But I'm tired of waiting so long for chaps (I assume) to make their move. I sit and wait... and end up playing something else.

Now, some folk like slow battles that take several weeks (it seems), and that's okay (I suppose). But I can't believe I'm the only one who likes to play fast and often.

So, three points:

*** Limiting players to 20 games seems ludicrous to me; not only does it upset some of the punters, not only does it limit use of the product people have paid for, not only does it decrease enjoyment and player interaction, but most importantly (for the guys in charge, for whom I assume profits are the bottom line) it detracts from income: I have some expansions but I like the look of others - but there's no point in buying an expansion if I can't even use the armies therein. I'm always at or around 20 games; there are always new armies to try, new variations of familiar armies, new tournaments, opponents still bleeding who want revenge... The 20-game limit is keeping me from buying the products on offer: not good business.

*** It would be really useful (perhaps obvious) to allow player challenges to have a visible comment: "Fast players please"; "Newbie seeks tutor"; "Experienced players please"; "GMT +4"; "Please no Swiss hiding in a corner" or whatever.

*** Allow players to delete or at least resign from games where it's not their turn; if my oppoenet hasn't moved for a week, I'd rather resign and lose on stats but have an extra slot for a new game.
Last edited by Aristides on Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
‘I go North, to the swords and the siege,
That yet for a while rivers may run clean and birds build their nests,
Ere Night comes.’

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Re: Different srokes...

Post by stockwellpete » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:32 am

Aristides wrote: *** Limiting players to 20 games seems ludicrous to me; not only does it upset some of the punters, not only does it limit use of the product people have paid for, not only does it decrease enjoyment and player interaction, but most importantly (for the guys in charge, for whom I assume profits are the bottom line) it detracts from income: I have some expansions but I like the look of others - but there's no point in buying an expansion if I can't even use the armies therein. I'm always at or around 20 games; there are always new armies to try, new variations of familiar armies, new tournaments, opponents still bleeding who want revenge... The 20-game limit is keeping me from buying the products on offer: not good business.
I think this might be to stop one or two players hogging all the challenges that are put up on the system. I am not absolutely certain though.
*** It would be really useful (perhaps obvious) to allow player challenges to have a visible comment: "Fast players please"; "Newbie seeks tutor"; "Experienced players please"; "GMT +4"; "Please no Swiss hiding in a corner" or whatever.
Yes, we have asked Slitherine to provide us with something like this. When the new development team is in place I am sure they will consider this along with all the other things that we have asked for.
*** Allow players to delete or at least resign from games where it's not their turn; if my oppoenet hasn't moved for a week, I'd rather resign and lose on stats but have an extra slot for a new game.
Yes, I agree. Waiting a month for a game to clear off your matches in progress screen is just far too long. You should certainly have the option after 14 days to abandon the game.

Aristides

Re: Different srokes...

Post by Aristides » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:41 pm

Thanks for the reply.
I think this might be to stop one or two players hogging all the challenges that are put up on the system. I am not absolutely certain though.
Well, there is also a limit on how many challenges you can accept per day, and that makes sense - but obviously it should not include PWed games.
Also if the reason is to stopthe hogging of games (i.e., making sure there are enough challenges to go round) it makes no sense to limit the number of challenges made, as the more made, the more are available for acceptance. I really hope they change this.
Yes, we have asked Slitherine to provide us with something like this. When the new development team is in place I am sure they will consider this along with all the other things that we have asked for.
Ah, good to know.
Yes, I agree. Waiting a month for a game to clear off your matches in progress screen is just far too long. You should certainly have the option after 14 days to abandon the game.
Or perhaps 7...
Ere Night comes.’

petergarnett
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Re: Different strokes...

Post by petergarnett » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:52 pm

I don't know for certain but I suspect that the daily limit is to do with server capacity for slitherine (if that's the correct term). If a cap is not in place a few players with dozens of games could lock out others.

Aristides

Re: Different strokes...

Post by Aristides » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:14 pm

Ah... thanks.
IMHO they should expand to a new and bigger server. Seems obvious - but perhaps expensive. I'm probably overenthusiastic...
Ere Night comes.’

Return to “Field of Glory : Leagues & Tournaments & Seeking Opponents”