Historical D.A.G. games - find an opponent here!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, NewRoSoft, FoG PC Moderator

the_iron_duke
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Historical D.A.G. games - find an opponent here!

Post by the_iron_duke » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:37 pm

I've enjoyed playing many D.A.G. battles that have pitted armies from different army books and eras against each other. It's a bit like mixed martial arts, with different fighting styles being put to the test against each other and seeing how they fare. However, I'd like to try some D.A.G. match-ups with a more historical inclination and so I thought I'd start a thread for people, hopefully if they're interested, to post games for some more historically-minded D.A.G. match-ups.

Here are some rules for historical games that I've thought up (and feel free to suggest other ideas):

* The armies have to have faced each other historically and be from the same time period (although I guess highly plausible historical what-ifs could also be allowed). If an opponent brings an unhistorical army the original player reserves the right to resign from the game.

* Using green/arid battle maps. The battle maps should be consistent with the armies facing each other. For example, if it's a Wars of the Roses clash it's not very historical to be fighting in a desert. I know this can sometimes be a disadvantage to the map chooser if they get a choice of three arid and one green maps but this thread is about emphasising the historical. It's mostly North European armies that this should affect; you could argue the Middle Eastern armies should play on arid maps but there are green pockets in the East but no deserts in Northern Europe, although I tend to favour arid maps for these games. Common sense should prevail, I hope.

* If a player posts several games only take one of them at a time (unless you've a pre-agreed arrangement, of course).

* It would also be cool if the participants understood a little of the historical organisation and tactics of their chosen armies and reflected this in their play.

the_iron_duke
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Re: Historical D.A.G. games - find an opponent here!

Post by the_iron_duke » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:39 pm

Here is my opening salvo, with passwords:

Early Hoplite Greek, 500 pt: eureka [*game taken*]
Early Achaemenid Persian (Greek Wars), 500 pt: xerxesbeard [*game taken*]
Gallic (Later hill tribes), 500 pt: vitalstatistix [*game taken*]
Principate Roman (early), 500 pt: cavecanem [*game taken*]
Wars of the Roses Yorkist, 500 pt: yorkiebar (although I'll accept armies from c.1400 onwards for this one including Irish, Scots, French) [*game taken*]
Last edited by the_iron_duke on Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fedem
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Post by Fedem » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:56 pm

Hi Iron Duke,

Nice idea.

I will go against the Early Hoplite Gree with Early Achaemenid Persian Greek Wars.

I think it would be nice that the players who are addicted to History could post the potential enemies of at least some armies to be able to do this kind of match ups.
We all know more or less I think but a list wouldnt be bad.

Cheers!

Turk1964
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by Turk1964 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:30 am

Excellent idea .I will take on your Principate Romans with Dacians

Cheers Turk

the_iron_duke
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by the_iron_duke » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:03 pm

I'll try and suggest more suitable enemies (with the Romans that would be quite a list!). It would be an interesting concept to go through every army in FoG and make a compendium of all their playable historical opponents.

I recommend using wikipedia as well, though. I've learnt lots of ancient and medieval history from playing Field of Glory with the assistance of the online encyclopedia. At your fingertips you have a resource that can instantly give you some background flavour and historical context and that can, with a bit of imagining, bring your games to life!

Anyway, there are some good games brewing in the ones that have been taken up so far. Feel free to post your own historical requests.

Lysimachos

Post by Lysimachos » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:53 pm

I like the fine idea!

So I've posted a challenge with my Parthian army of 750 pts. possibly vs the Seleucids, being interested to look how this army works on a bigger map against HF armies.
The password is: Seleucus
"Audentis fortuna iuvat"
- Virgilius

(Good luck favours the brave)

kilroy1
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by kilroy1 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:15 pm

Lysimachos wrote:I like the fine idea!

So I've posted a challenge with my Parthian army of 750 pts. possibly vs the Seleucids, being interested to look how this army works on a bigger map against HF armies.
The password is: Seleucus
Accepted. 8)

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:36 pm

I really do think this is the way to go with this hobby - once you start getting into the details of the various armies from your favourite period of history it can become really fascinating to try out the different variations that the DAG allows. If I can just flag up again an earlier thread of mine that ended up covering some very interesting stuff concerning the Teutonic Order (thanks to Ardaeshir) . . .

viewtopic.php?f=84&t=27766

EDIT: an interesting point is also made by batesmotel in the thread that 400pts for an army is best in many cases for a "historical build". That might be worth looking into for some of the games.

Another historical rule that could be used (again it is taken partly from what batesmotel has posted in the thread) - the basic command structure of an army should be 1x "field" commander and 2x "troop" commanders. And an "inspired" leader can only be chosen if he is appropriate to a particular army at a particular time. For example, for the Wars of the Roses battles you might say that there were no "inspired" leaders at all in the first phase of the conflict (1455-64); only Edward IV was an "inspired" leader during the second phase (1469-71); and there were no "inspired" leaders again in the third and final phase of the conflict(1485-87).

Another variation would be to allow 2x "field" commanders and just 1x"troop" commander in certain circumstances, but medieval armies should generally have 3 commander units.

the_iron_duke
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by the_iron_duke » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:36 pm

That was an epic War of the Roses battle, stockwellpete! Interesting stuff in that thread you linked - lots of food for thought, which I'm still digesting. In the meantime here are three more games and passwords.

Alexandrian Macedonian, 500 pt: bucephalus [*game now taken*]
Pyrrhic, 500 pt: victory [*game now taken*]
HYW English (Britain) Late, 500 pt: plantagenet [*game now taken*]

I don't mind if armies are out of date by small amounts, e.g. Medieval Welsh are 1405 and HYE English are from 1415. I did start making lists of possible historical opponents but the lists can be very long (especially Alexander's)!

Also, these other two games are still available:

Early Achaemenid Persian (Greek Wars), 500 pt: xerxesbeard [*game now taken*] (doesn't need to be a Greek opponent necessarily - lots of potential Near-Eastern armies)
Gallic (Later hill tribes), 500 pt: vitalstatistix [*game now taken*]

EDIT: I added my thoughts on historical battles in the other thread, which seems like a good place for discussion on such matters.
Last edited by the_iron_duke on Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

jimudon
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by jimudon » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:49 pm

Hello all, if someone wants an opponent for historical match ups let me know. Basically would like to battle with opponent who agrees with a period of time and region of world for battle. For example we say it is the 3rd cent. AD in the West. I want to be the Romans of that period, so one would be the Western opponent, Dacian etc. Or it could be the East and the opponent would the Persian of the period. Another example could be the EARLY Byzantine Wars in the West/Italy. Another Example should be THemtic Byznatine against Bulgars or against Eastern Persian or Turkish opponent. Or other period

I just want to match up with armies that are of the same period and largely would have fought each other. Please respond. Open to any list and period as long as roughly historical. How one builds out the army based on the lists is up to the commander and his tactics and strategy.

Turk1964

Post by Turk1964 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:19 pm

Gday Jimudon
I will use Sassinad Persians Mid against an army of your choice from Legions Triumphunt . Best of 3 games 600 pt password =sassinad

Cheers Turk

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:55 am

the_iron_duke wrote:I don't mind if armies are out of date by small amounts, e.g. Medieval Welsh are 1405 and HYE English are from 1415.
I think there are issues with some of the periods allocated to DAG armies. The Medieval Welsh list is a good case in point. It is just for the year 1405 which was the high point of Glyndwr's revolt but I think, in fact, tha the troops contained within the list are largely appropriate for a wider (and earlier) period. There are lots of Welsh lancer cavalry, for example, but virtually no historical evidence that these troops were active in the early 15thC. By this time the Welsh army was not too different from the English - Glndwr himself had fought in the English army before 1399.

I had a discussion about the Welsh in the TT forum a while ago now . . .

viewtopic.php?f=73&t=32212

the_iron_duke
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by the_iron_duke » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:53 pm

I'll defer to your historical expertise on that one, stockwellpete!

Here are some more games and passwords:

Early Carthaginian, 500 pt: dido [*game now taken*]
Parthian, 500 pt: shot [*game now taken*]
Principate Roman (early), 800 pt: testudo [*game now taken*]

Also, these other two games are still available (I'm not sure why nobody wants to take on the French or Persians - no Americans playing?):

Early Achaemenid Persian (Greek Wars), 500 pt: xerxesbeard (doesn't need to be a Greek opponent necessarily - lots of potential Near-Eastern armies) [*game now taken*]
Last edited by the_iron_duke on Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the_iron_duke
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by the_iron_duke » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:31 pm

More games and passwords:

Later Ptolemaic (Greek), 500 pt: cleopatra [*game now taken*]
Ancient British, 500 pt: boudicca [*game now taken*]
Later Sarmatian, 500 pt: sauros [*game now taken*]

Still available:

the_iron_duke
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by the_iron_duke » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:41 pm

More games and passwords:

Ancient Spanish (Iberian), 500 pt: falcata [*cancelled*]
Palmyran, 500 pt: zenobia [*game now taken*]
Western Hunnic (Attila), 500 pt: chalons [*game now taken*]

For Spanish, the opponents can be Romans, Gallics, Spanish, Carthaginians from the relevant time period.

The Palmyran army of 258 to 273 AD corresponds to the breakaway Palmyrene Empire with the main adversaries being the Romans. The only other army I can find in the books that are potential historical opponents are the Sassanid Persians (Early).

The Huns fight a lot of people. Some of their potential historical opponents are ruled out by either not coinciding time-wise or with the Western part of this Hunnic army's description (Sassanids, Kushans, Early Alans, Eastern Foederate Roman). So, this leaves the European armies of Foederate Roman (East), Early Frankish, Quadi, Alamanni, Limigantes, Suebi, Herul, Ostrogothic, Gepid, Early Lombard, Late Visigothic (Early).

As I pick armies I know less about I have to research myself who their potential opponents are, so I've put down the added information here!
Last edited by the_iron_duke on Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:46 am, edited 4 times in total.

the_iron_duke
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by the_iron_duke » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:56 pm

A couple more to add to the above:

Classical Spartan, 500 pt: laconic (a hoplite v hoplite battle would be cool) [*cancelled*]
Condotta - Venice, 500 pt: serenissima [*game now taken*]
Last edited by the_iron_duke on Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:47 pm

I might do better to put this one in here . . .

Here is a hypothetical scenario at 400pts for you to try. The Medieval Irish army is based on Boylan's suggestions above and it is quite different from what is in the DAG. The Anglo-Irish army is identical to the DAG though - and I haven't come across anything at all that would suggest that the DAG is incorrect in any way.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15461007/Altern ... enario.rar

If anybody fancies giving it a whirl please let me know. We could play it as a paired game.

the_iron_duke
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by the_iron_duke » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:40 pm

Another couple of games to go with those above and more above:

Early Scots-Irish, 500 pts: craic [*game now taken*]
Seleucid Successor, 500 pts: anabasis [*cancelled*]

Opponents for Scots-Irish: Romans, Ancient British, Caledonian, Early Pictish

Potential opponents for Seleucids include: Maurya Indian, Ptolemaic Successor, Early Sarmatian, Galatian (Seleucid War), Early Armenian, Parthian
Last edited by the_iron_duke on Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lysimachos

Post by Lysimachos » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:50 pm

My late Pontic army of 650 pts. is waiting a mid Bosporan enemy to confront with.
The password is: bosporus
"Audentis fortuna iuvat"
- Virgilius

(Good luck favours the brave)

the_iron_duke
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by the_iron_duke » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:16 pm

Two more games to go with the four that are still available above.

Gupta Indian, 500 pt: chandra [*game now taken*]
Jewish Revolt (Josephus), 500 pt: bethhoron [*cancelled*]

Opponents for Gupta Indians are: Kushan (late), Sassanid Persian (early/mid), Hephthalite Hunnic. The opponents for Jewish Revolt are Principate Roman (early).
Last edited by the_iron_duke on Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Field of Glory : Leagues & Tournaments & Seeking Opponents”