Early Invaders of Britain

Moderators: Slitherine Core, NewRoSoft, FoG PC Moderator

Enakan
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Early Invaders of Britain

Post by Enakan »

Greetings!

While slamming away at everything else in life and in the FoG world, I wanted to dabble here with a small offering, a small tournament set in Britain from 0-100 AD, that era.

I would like to field twelve armies in pairs to simulate the tribes of Britain and their foes. The native armies will be two each of Ancient Britons, Ancient Britons (Cassivellanus), Early Scots/Irish and Caledonians. Then will come from the south two Roman (Principate) invaders, from the north and east Early Germanic (Not BC) raiders. So......

1. Ancient Britons - Jakdaw
2. Ancient Britons - Klayeckles
3. Ancient Britons (Cassivellanus variety) - Mcfcivo
4. Ancient Britons (Cassivellanus variety) - Mike M
5. Early Scots/Irish -
6. Early Scots/Irish - notjustdon
7. Caledonians - Enakan
8. Caledonians - IMC
9. Romans (Principate) - Okie
10. Romans (Principate) - allendeuce
11. Early German - Burgot
12. Early German - Grudgebringer

Armies will be picked from the Legions Triumphant book using 400pt lists.

NO allies will be allowed for any army.

Seeing as the terrain of Britain was very dense in many parts, native armies will be able to pick terrain using the following choices only:

Very Crowded or Crowded

Invaders will try to pick their field of battle, what is best for their heavy troops. They are only allowed to use the following choices:

Crowded or Mixed

Looking for eleven players, I will pick up the last army that is not picked.

You will play all eleven opponents, best winning average wins the event. In the advent of a tie best percentage score will break the tie.

Please submit your results using both points earned and your percentage score. For example I lose versus say Burgot, he posts:

"Romans 22/34, Britons 44/42, 65/100%".

Let's have SOME FUN!!!!!!

:D
Last edited by Enakan on Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:35 am, edited 11 times in total.
NEVER GIVE UP, NEVER SURRENDER!!!!!!!
allendeuce
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Re: Early Invaders of Britain

Post by allendeuce »

I am so there! I would like army number 10, Roman Principate, please. 10, not 9! That brand of Roman is just so negative!
(Get it? "9, nine, nein"?
So, 10 please.
Jim, aka allendeuce.
Enakan

Post by Enakan »

Forgot to say,

I know some folks are very good players, some average, some play all the time, some every other day. For the Romans at least, a big heavy nasty army, I'd like to give folks a chance so no nasty players for them.

Jim, are you a NASTY BOY??????

Maybe the crowded terrain will help balance things out a bit though.........
Burgot
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by Burgot »

Hi, i'm in i get if possible : 11 Early German.

Who must set games please? Invaders or defenders, or both?

Thx for your job
Jakdaw
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Jakdaw »

I'd love to join this (and I think notjustdon does too.) I'll take 1, Ancient Britons, if I may. Thanks for setting this up Enakan.
Enakan

Post by Enakan »

Besides having foreign invaders to Britain, will involve the quest for a High King, the uniter of the Isle. So much chaos will erupt from folks getting hit from all sides (would be worse if we were using a map!!!).

I know some guys play at different speeds than others, what would you suggest for time limits, if any?

Maybe have all odd numbered (1,2,5,7,9,11) players sort out their battles in what, 2-3 weeks, at the same time all the even players do as well in their even numbered group? Then the next round you play the reverse way, the foes you have not played yet? Order from chaos?

Wanted to keep the games small and fast, so I think everyone can get this done AND have fun!

Oh, would it be too much to ask if you generals did name your leaders? It makes the game more flavorful!!!!!!!! Winners will post a short battle report, or long, all comments are great to read from both sides in reply.

I will set up a ranking system after every gets a few games in, that way y'all can keep up with it for motivation! IT will look like:

Ranking Win/Loss Win % Average
1. Jakdaw 2-1 67%
2. allendeuce 2-1 73%
3. notjustdon 2-2 83%
4. Burgot 1-2 49%
5. Enakan 0-3 0%

Note that a guy with no wins will not have a winning average, YET! This is going to be for ties between generals who have the same record. And a guy with few wins may have a better average if he does extremely well in his one or two winning battles.

Question was who sets up the challenges: I hesitate to ask you all for quick fast games, I could say #1 challenges both 2 and 3, #4 challenges 5 and 6, etc. Or, we could just go pairs. OR, we could just have total chaos where folks challenge as they wish.

What is your advice, you guys have probably been in more tournaments than I have!
Okie
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Okie »

I'd take Principate Romans if that OK. :roll: 8) Okie
Enakan

Post by Enakan »

Thank you gentlemen!

We are halfway there, three invading types and three defenders. Say we give it a week and see if it fills up, if not, we can start with what we have.

Sound good?

So Jim and Okie are the nasty invading Romans, what shall we call them behind their backs????

This campaign really appeals to me, it seemed like many tribes could never pull together to fight aggressors, they would often team up with them to defeat local foes. And the following month would fight the aggressors with former enemies.......

MADNESS!!!!!!!!!
Jakdaw
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Jakdaw »

Just to clarify: by 'win percent average' you mean: the average of your casualty percentage for each of your wins? i.e. Lowest is best.

Re Jim & Okie: I suggest they are called either 'those effete Latins' or 'Sir' depending on how they do.
Enakan

Post by Enakan »

Yessir!

So if you get two wins, 50 and 60%, your average will be 55%.

10-4 on the effete Latins, Jim kind of reminds me of an oversized Gallic mercenary type though........

:D :D :D
Enakan

Post by Enakan »

There is a decent scenario set in 79AD,

Pits the Romans vs the Brigantes, I believe it is titled Agricola Moves North.

If you guys want some practice! Might be more, we're playing that one now!
Okie
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Okie »

PLEASE!! I perfer Decatent, if you you must call names!! :twisted: :P Okie
Enakan

Post by Enakan »

Did you say DECEASED????????

Okie, you are so bad............

Going to have a Part 2 tournament here, set later in the AD when this one is done. Going to do the choices based on how folks finish off here, lower placing folks get to pick their armies FIRST for the next part.

I count that as a real challenge!

Burgot and I are rocking through the 79AD scenario, its tough!
Enakan

Post by Enakan »

I'm sure you guys have all played the regular scenarios so far in your careers,

For BC there are three for Caesar that fit in around 55BC, Landing, First Encounter and At Bay.

For later on I believe there are five more, Mancetter, Medway, Mons Graupius, plus two more revolting ones for the poor oppressed Britons. Dang Romans!

Tidbit which I'm sure all know already, but for those looking for leader names.....

Mostly shamelessly copied from Wiki:

Commius (Commios, Comius, Comnios) was a historical king of the Belgic nation of the Atrebates, initially in Gaul, then in Britain, in the 1st century BC. By about 30 BC Commius had established himself as king of the Atrebates in Britain, and was issuing coins from Calleva Atrebatum (Silchester). He was first an ally of Caesar, later on in life he became a foe of the Romans. Three later kings, Tincomarus, Eppillus and Verica, are named on their coins as sons of Commius. From about 25 BC Commius appears to have ruled in collaboration with Tincomarus. After his death Tincomarus appears to have ruled the northern part of the kingdom from Calleva, while Eppillus ruled the southern part from Noviomagus (Chichester). Eppillus became sole ruler ca. AD 7. Verica succeeded him about 15, and ruled until shortly before the Roman conquest of 43 AD.
MikeMarchant
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by MikeMarchant »

Is it too late to throw my hat into the ring?

Having returned from holiday, made some progress settling back in home again, including solving brain-dribbling-out-of-ears email problems, I'm ready to get back to something approaching normal.

If it is okay, then Ancient Brits (Cassi flavour) would be great. Probably best accompanied by a large G&T, I think.

Best Wishes

Mike
mcfcivo
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by mcfcivo »

Hi,

Nbr 3 for me please:-)

Gotta go with the home team!
Enakan

Post by Enakan »

Noted Gentlemen!

Mike, another cruise? Where to this time?

I am playing a couple of games with the Britons against HF armies, does anyone have advice that the home team can use? I realize it is a long shot in open terrain going against big nasty Roman and German units, what terrain works best?

For me, rivers are so-so to wade around in trying to drown them, hills are average trying to look down on them and smite them in the noggin, orchards average too despite baiting them with apples. What seems to work best are steep hills and forests to befuddle them. IF you can drag them kicking and screaming into them!

Just looking for advice from some of you "Older" players for the newer ones!

The Horde approach can work but then again........

Paul
Enakan

Post by Enakan »

Think I'll go back and get my history degree!

Dang Romans! They not only invaded other peoples and nations, they did it in slow stages a lot of the time. Corrupting poor innocent folks by sending in trader spies, introducing luxury goods, backing leaders that favored them to gain more influence, and worst of all, introducing MONEY into environments where it really wasn't there much before! Then they moved into direct control, sometimes through conquest, sometimes by being welcomed into their client states, man........

Civilization.....Roman style!

Found a great map of The Isles for anyone wanting to name their tribe, and/or look up some history (like I am!). Bad thing about this, there are side links, so I keep getting sidetracked by interesting tidbits from the past and future history of the Isles. Calling it the "ISLES" since I am including Ireland, Scotland, England and all the various smaller islands around those main ones.

Here is the tribal map:

http://www.historyfiles.co.uk/FeaturesE ... ap52BC.htm

Very interesting......yes, I'm a NERD!!!!!!!!

MikeMarchant

Post by MikeMarchant »

Enakan wrote:Noted Gentlemen!

Mike, another cruise? Where to this time?

I am playing a couple of games with the Britons against HF armies, does anyone have advice that the home team can use? I realize it is a long shot in open terrain going against big nasty Roman and German units, what terrain works best?

For me, rivers are so-so to wade around in trying to drown them, hills are average trying to look down on them and smite them in the noggin, orchards average too despite baiting them with apples. What seems to work best are steep hills and forests to befuddle them. IF you can drag them kicking and screaming into them!

Just looking for advice from some of you "Older" players for the newer ones!

The Horde approach can work but then again........

Paul
No, not a cruise this time, just a regular laze beside a pool in the (too hot) heat of Turkey, while reading a great deal, eating a great deal and drinking a great deal.

Heavy armies like the Romans have a major weakness against larger lighter armies like the Celts, and that is that they have to protect their flanks and rears, and to do so means keeping their army in very tightly packed formation. As soon as they break that formation up they're vulnerable. If the Roman general is too sensible to break up his formation on his own then you need to encourage him. The most effective methods of encouraging him are: goading units into anarchy charging away from the main line, often by ridiculing his sandals and skirt and waving genitalia at him; sacrificing weak units to get him to chase them down when they rout (sacrificing teenagers is a good way to keep the youth in line, too); threatening him from multiple angles of attack where he's forced to divide up his troops to counter.

Another method, which doesn't work so often, is to advertise a used chariot sale on one side of the field, while advertising a used lady-friend sale on the other side of the battlefield (free wine with each used lady-friend sold). Then it's just a question of waiting until the Roman army cracks and rushes off in one direction or the other.

Best Wishes

Mike
MikeMarchant

Post by MikeMarchant »

Enakan wrote:Think I'll go back and get my history degree!

Dang Romans! They not only invaded other peoples and nations, they did it in slow stages a lot of the time. Corrupting poor innocent folks by sending in trader spies, introducing luxury goods, backing leaders that favored them to gain more influence, and worst of all, introducing MONEY into environments where it really wasn't there much before! Then they moved into direct control, sometimes through conquest, sometimes by being welcomed into their client states, man........

Civilization.....Roman style!

Found a great map of The Isles for anyone wanting to name their tribe, and/or look up some history (like I am!). Bad thing about this, there are side links, so I keep getting sidetracked by interesting tidbits from the past and future history of the Isles. Calling it the "ISLES" since I am including Ireland, Scotland, England and all the various smaller islands around those main ones.

Here is the tribal map:

http://www.historyfiles.co.uk/FeaturesE ... ap52BC.htm

Very interesting......yes, I'm a NERD!!!!!!!!

'Isles' is good. What you're describing (England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland) is called the British Isles (a geographical, rather than political term). The United Kingdom, on the other hand, consists of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland (but not Eire), while Great Britain consists of England, Scotland and Wales.

Lovely map, thanks for sharing that.

Best Wishes

Mike

Return to “Field of Glory : Leagues & Tournaments & Seeking Opponents”