Burgundians vs. Late French

Battle Reports & After Action Reports (AAR's)

Moderators: Slitherine Core, NewRoSoft, FoG PC Moderator

Talizh2
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Burgundians vs. Late French

Post by Talizh2 »

Matt and I have decided to face off with a pair of armies from the recent expansion pack Storm of Arrows.

I picked the Burgundians for no other reason than they have guns! Yes, gunpowder weapons. At this point in time they weren't all that useful--except for scaring horses. Still, I thought it would be nice to try them out and let people on the forums see how they perform.

When I built my army I picked a lot of Yorkist allies, predominately billmen and some archers.
I went heavy on the artillery and some handgunners for skirmishers.
I picked a lot of longbowmen and a couple of the new mixed units, half pikes and half bowmen. Again, I picked them for no other reason than to see how these new units perform.
I also have a lot of armoured men-at-arms, mostly average experience. I have loaded up with more leaders than usual. I have an inspired leader with my knights, an allied leader near my artillery, and a sub-leader with my right flank.

The terrain is pretty messy, with steep hills in the middle of the map. I have placed the bulk of my artillery on the left flank, hoping it will cause damage to the enemy's cavalry. The bombards do not move on their own, so this side of my line will be mostly defensive. My right wing is largely crossbowmen and longbowmen. I will try to get up the hill first and hold it as long as possible against the enemy. My knights are in a dense wedge formation near the middle of my line. I will wait as long as possible before I commit them.

As the turn starts, I move my medium foot towards the hill. I do not want to get stuck on the steep slopes but I do not want the enemy fighting downhill either. I want to get to the open ground on the top of the hill or possible flank around with some longbowmen. Also, getting on top of the hill will let me shoot down on the advancing enemy--unless they get there first. Everything else holds this turn.

Talizh2
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Talizh2 »

No picture because so far nothing much has happened.

I decided to move my billmen onto the hill as well. My right wing continued to climb the steep hills. My cannons are feeling lonely, stuck at the extreme left of my line with nothing to shoot at.

Return to “Field of Glory : AAR's”