FOG KO Cup Quarter Final: Morbio vs Radio

Battle Reports & After Action Reports (AAR's)

Moderators: Slitherine Core, FoG PC Moderator, NewRoSoft

Morbio
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

FOG KO Cup Quarter Final: Morbio vs Radio

Post by Morbio »

Know Thy Enemy
I've only fought Radio once before, about a month ago and this was a 500 point Seleucid army clash, when I was blowing the dust off my Seleucids for this competition. I won this encounter but it does mean Radio has seen the way I play Seleucids. I've no idea how Radio might play a barbarian horde, so I'll just have to take the positive that I know I can win an equal encounter.

Army Selection
The good news is that I can review the Gallic (Early Lowland) army. It's going to be 1-3 superior protected or armoured cavalry and twice as many superior light chariots, at least 12 average protected impact HF and 3 LF javelins. The question is 'what will the rest of the army be?' To determine this I'm going to think what would I pick to beat the Later Seleucid army? The weakness of the Seleucids is in 3 areas; 1) Terrain. In anything other than clear terrain the lancers, cats, pikes and spears are poor - and this is the bulk of the army. 2) Cohesion: Anything other than steady then pikes and spears are poor. 3) Pikes are significantly worse than normal when below 75%. With this in mind I'd pick an army which could weaken the pikes at range, possibly causing some cohesion loss, plus I'd want to excel in terrain and maximise chance of disruption on impact. Impact isn't really a problem for the gauls, since just about all the foot troops are impact, but I'd take the maximum Gaesati mercenaries (superior HF impact) to maximise disruption chances. I'd take the maximum bows or slingers to maximise ranged attacks for disruption and attrition and to discourage the Seleucids from refusing to close into melee in terrain. There are no MF in the main army, so I expect an ally will be used to give a big advantage in terrain and the best bet are the Iberian or Gallic Hill Tribes since the Ligurians are weak and the Germans have no MF. I reckon the Iberians will be used since they only cost a minimum of 40 points versus the 52 for the hill tribes. I'd minimise my cavalry because they will be weak versus pikes and against lancers and cats. My guess for the army is 1 protected superior cavalry (commander), 2 light chariots, 12 average HF, 3 LF javelins, 6 Gaesati mercenaries (superior) HF, 3 slingers, 2 familes plus Iberian allies: 1 small shield cavalry (commander), 3 LF javelins, 9 MF giving a total of 42 break points - that's a lot!

So, the question now is how to counter this? As with my last KO match I need to minimise pikes because they are really poor in terrain and minimise my chances of disruption. Once again this means maximum superior units and maximum commanders in close attendance. I also need a good missile presence to ensure I can win a ranged battle because whomever loses the ranged battle has to close to melee and I don't want to go into terrain and I want the Gauls to come into the open. I will limit myself to my 2 Companions and use these to cover any cavalry threat and to counter any possible break through or flanking of the pike line. With this in mind my army is going to be exactly the same as the previous KO match! It's only 26 break points so I'll have to hope that I get some terrain to cover a flank otherwise I'll be swarmed!

Battlefield Selection
I win the dice roll, but Radio has 3 initiative points versus my zero, I'm guessing this means an inspired commander and a few more horse units than I anticipated. So the gods of war desert me and Radio will choose the battlefield. I chose 'very open', but I'm expecting a battlefield that will be somewhat crowded will be the result. Let's hope that my chance to move first will compensate!

Deployment
I have a more open map than I anticipated and what terrain there is shouldn't come into play unless Radio tries to hide and it's not enough to do that successfully since I can shoot from clear ground and cover all the area. I set my camp in the centre so that Radio must come into the open if he wants to loot it and set up in front of it. I have all my superior troops in a line and have my MF archers providing support. My phalanx troop commanders anchor either end and my weaker troops protect the flanks. My Companions are held in reserve and the mounted commander is able to cover all the line if extra command support is needed. My LF archers I spread out in front ready to advance on the enemy, but I give a little shelter to my solitary LF archer... I wonder if Radio will notice it's poor not average like the others?
I'm expecting Radio's troops to be centre-left since that's where the camp is.

Turn 1
I was correct in my guess where he'd deploy, but totally wrong in terms of army composition as there doesn't seem to be any MF (unless they are all hiding). I now think he's not chosen any allies and so he'll have a HF army with probably maximum cavalry and chariots. It seems he has not chosen any ranged troops apart from the minimum 3 LF Javelins. Given this, and the fact I don't want to get flanked by so many cavalry and chariots, then I've decided to stay put (at least for now). I'll send my LF up to start whittling him down and to get 1 on the high ground so I can see exactly what I'm dealing with. He'll either have to come to me to stop my ranged attack (my preferred option), or he'll try to take my LF with his LF plus his cavalry and chariots - I'll stay at max range to stop him cutting off my evade path and I'll also need to ensure he doesn't get chance to bounce my LF into attack range.
Overall I think his army selection isn't as tough as it could be. I'm pleased there's no MF and no real terrain and the break points are far more equal than I expected!

Turn 2
Radio seems to advance forward in a straight line, but I can't see all the units because of some of the hills. He moves his LF to the side, and maybe he is trying to get behind my LF to block their evade path. I now remember to set my LF to evade (I usually forget) so now I'm ready to make my moves. I move my leftmost LF forward to the hill so I can see all units and know what I'm up against.
No real surprises, all HF of which 8 are superior protected and the rest are average protected, maximum armoured superior cavalry (3), 6 light chariots, 3 LF javelins and 1 family to use the remaining points. As suspected Radio has gone for an inspired general. I reckon that Radio's plan will be to advance to me and match his superior HF against my line while the average HF go at and round my left flank and most of his cavalry and chariots attack my right flank. I think I'll move left a few hexes to try to get some of his average troops to attack the front and put the rest at a disadvantage in the gully. The bit of scrub there may actually help my MF Thorokitai gain more advantage! It'll leave my camp slightly exposed, but I'd rather have position than worry about 3 points. You never know, the camp may actually act like fly paper and trap anything that tries to loot it. If that happens then maybe my Companions can have some fun! :twisted:

Turn 3
I'm not sure what Radio is doing, he has only edged forward 1 hex and attacked my Cretan Archers (on the right) with his 3 javelins. This is fine for me, because the longer we take to close the more my missile superiority will tip the scales in my favour. I move more towards the place I will make my stand, which takes my line 1 hex further away from Radio's line, and retreat slightly with my archers, but still ensure that I can attack his Gaestati - he now has one down to about 85% and one at about 95%. I hope to get at least 4 down below 75% before the lines meet, this won't affect impact performance, but will mean they lose a die in the following melee.

Turn 4
I think Radio has realised the error in holding back to let me shoot him to death. He has advanced 2 hexs this time and has tried to bounce my LF into charge range of his HF and chariots, but my positioning ensured that that wasn't going to happen. Radio has brought his Chariots into play and this has forced me to retreat maximum distance to ensure I don't get run down and I don't get boxed by the advanced javelinmen. The downside of this is that I'm shooting whilst facing away (-1 penalty) and out of range of all the Gaesati - my attacks do little damage to the chariots and the javelinmen. I finish my moves to my defensive position and I position my impact foot in the front line facing away from the enemy to ensure they don't get teased out by anarchy charging any nearby LF (Note to self: I really have to remember to face front when the non-skirmishers get in range!)

Turn 5
A similar turn to the last one where Radio tries to catch my archers with javelinmen and his chariots and again I'm forced to retreat maximum distance and 'turn and fire' at -1 penalty - the nett effect is little damage to chariots and javelinmen. I'm now running out of room and I need to be careful that I'm not driven off the battlefield. The good news this time is that one of his chariots came in range of my leftmost MF archers that are shooting through the gaps - not much damage though :( I think I need to send my archers round the flanks to be sure I don't get boxed or driven off the field, but I'll have to be very careful if he uses all his LF, chariots and cavalry to corner me... on reflection I'll possibly retreat behind the line and move to my left corner and shoot from the gully. My Thorokitai can hold the higher island in the gully and my archers can be behind him and shoot at anything nearby. I doubt my archers are going to achieve much before the lines clash and now I'm beginning to doubt the wisdom of so many points being put into ranged attackers. Last time it worked well, but this time it's not, I guess I really needed some elevation to allow me to shoot over the line. I do remember to turn the one unit in the main line that is under threat from the chariot! :D

Turn 6
More of the same, but for some reason Radio starts to shift all his line to his left and doesn't advance. On the positive side, I get 2 MF archers to fire this time and all of the LF and my LH too. Most of my LF archers are now in and around the gully and I have 2 MF Thorokitai providing cover from scrub and high ground in the gully. The rest of my LF are just in front of my line and I think I have enough room to evade, but I can never be sure because the evade distance is variable. If Radio does charge them then the chariots will follow through into my line and I hope that'll be good for me. One LF archer can't get into a safe area in and around the line, so I'll send it out wide left and I'm expecting Radio to chase with the javelinmen and either some chariots and cavalry. I expect to lose this archer, but hopefully I can get a few turns and some shots in before the end comes and I also hope that I can take a few units out of the battle for 5 or 6 turns. Over the last few turns I've barely received any attacks and so although my attacks have been relatively poor then I'm hoping they'll add up with time.

Turn 7
Radio attacks my LF in front of my superior pikes with his light chariot. I'm not sure if he thinks I may have set it to stand (for fear of being driven off the battlefield) or if he is trying to chase it off the battlefield. My LF evades, but stays on the field nicely safe behind the line and the light chariot charges headlong into the pikes :shock: the result is predicatable (disruption) and the chariot loses 3 (15%) to a couple of pikes. Radio doesn't chase any other LF, but moves nearer my line with pikes and cavalry. He attacks my right hand corner pike with the 3 javelinmen and shuffles a little more with his main line. My lonely archer is left alone and will be free to roam :D On my turn my pike doesn't do the damage I was hoping for in the melee despite being 80% win odds, I kill a couple more (10%), but don't cause the fragmentation I needed. I charge the chariots with my Argyaspides and do more damage, but again no cohesion loss - I really was hoping for a rout with the 2 attacks. I decide to attack with the left half of my line, not that I expect any of the chariots to stand, but more to get them away to create space for the LF archers to come out to play. I position my archers tight to the rear of the evaded chariots to make it impossible for most of them to come back next turn - this will give me a round of good shooting next time too. I move my leftmost MF archer into a shooting position against his leftmost (my view) chariot and am rewarded with a disruption. My Thorokitai are moved to good defensive positions in the scrub and I'm happy that my left flank is secure. I move my central MF archers from by the light chariot in melee in case my Companions anarchy charge because if the left Companion does it will be through my MF archers! The light chariot is at 57% and one good charge from the Companions could rout it, but then my Companion will persue it to the enemy line and I don't want that, so I move the Companions a couple of hexes so that they can cover a move to attack and reassure myself that I can reasonably easily rout the light chariot with arrows next time after it breaks off unless radio hides it. My plan will be to continue the missile attacks for a few more turns before engaging his line. I'll advance the left side of my line to givemy archers more room to retreat to and also bring his average HF closer for when I chose to attack. At the end of the turn there's no anarchy and his chariot breaks off.

Turn 8
More of the same... Radio doesn't hide his chariot, but brings it close to the line, I guess he's trying to get a unit ot go into anarchy and get isolated. I pour missile fire into the chariot from everywhere and on the last attack it drops below 45% and breaks. Radio also puts a chariot on the corner of my camp and I ignore it with my phalanx, again I don't want to get a unit isolated, especially since it will evade. It is non-foot so it may take a while to loot the camp and while it's there it's harmless, if it succeeds then it'll be stuck and I can attack it, the downside will be that I can be flanked, but no cavalry or chariots are near so I should be able to close the gap. I consider charging his cavalry on the basis that it may evade through his line and disrupt a unit, but decide against it, I'll save that move until I'm ready to attack. I postion my LH in a position where it can be attacked in order to draw the chariot away from the line, with hindsight it's a silly thing to do as it may be caught when it evades. If it does then my MF will sprint over to rear-charge the chariot, which should hopefully disrupt it. I think that when the melee starts I'll send a dew LF to attack the families at his camp. It shouldn't take long to get them to 65% and then I can loot the camp :twisted: Luck isn't with me because Radio loots my camp at the 1st attempt! :evil:

Turn 9
Either Radio tried to move his chariot and realised it was stuck, or he got fed up of me shooting him, or he realised it was a great opportunity to get behind me... whatever was the reason he final attacked my line on the right flank. The good news is that none of the 3 attacks was lost and no cohesion loss was suffered, indeed I must've won 2 attacks significantly because heavy losses were suffered in charging my superior pikes. Radio has moved some of his cavalry to get round the back while my line is stuck in melee. The rest of his Gaesati close to attack next time and his average HF hold back. To counter this I send both Companions to the right behind the line and I send one of the Thorokitai to cover the middle in case things go bad. I also bring my LH back to the line so I can have 3 TCs providing command support. My right is still guarded by 2 Thorokitai in scrub, an Argyraspides and one superior Galatian HF. I use my archers to try to disrupt the Gaesati that are still to charge my line, but have no success other than giving a few casualties. I send my lone LF archer towards the camp, but shoot some average HF on the way. I wonder if Radio will send anything to try to stop me killing the families and looting the camp. My melee attacks are all well in my favour, over 80% for the Argyraspides and the Argyraspides Pikes and 60% for the average phalanx, unfortunately, despite winning all attacks I don't disrupt anything despite giving heavy losses. My biggest fear is that he now commits his MF to the attack since I will be seriously outnumbered on the left and if he doubles up on my units he could win and then he'll be behind my line. If he advances next turn I'll have to use one of my companions to try to stop all engaging.

Turn 10
A critical turn... Radio charges my ordinary phalanx on the left with his rightmost Gaesati and fortunately it survives impact and follows up with a melee attack from another Gaesati and suffers a loss of 43 units (nearly 15%) but doesn't lose cohesion. 2 melee attacks on my Argyraspides pikemen (3rd consecutive turn of 2 attacks) cause 10 and 72 (over 20%) :shock: damage - fortunately the supporting commander help ensure there is no cohesion loss. However, it is now 48% with 2 attackers and only gets 1 attack with its best attack at 71% chance to lose and the other at 82% to lose :cry: It will break on my attack :( Radio also charges with 2 more Gaesati against 2 more Argyraspides and both are draws with no loss of cohesion on either side. Radio advances his last 2 Gaesati to within 1 hex and clears the archers away in the process. The line of MF begin to advance and my lightly protected northern front is threatened. Radio also sends chariots and cavalry to try to flank my right, positioning a chariot to receive a charge. If it evades it is likely to go off the battlefield so I'm wondering why he has done it. Maybe he has done it in the hope that my companion's persuit may open it to a rear charge? If it stands it will be hammered, so I'm a little confused. Radio also sends chariots to flank me on the right. I'll try to use my LF to weaken these and to lure them onto the Thorakitai, or at least force them to go a long way round. The position after Radio's attack is below...
My main line is strong apart from the Superior pikes at 48% and the end Phalanx at 76%. The melee attacks chance to win, from the left Argyraspides in melee moving right are; 80%, 89%, 80%, 8% and 2%, 50% and 50%. So apart from my doomed superior pikes I have good odds for melee as even the phalanx with 2 opponents is 50%! This will change next turn when it will fall below 75% and thus lose a dice :( I need to ensure my superior pikes have an exit for the rout, which means moving my commander. I need to ensure that the phalanx and the Argyraspides have both attacked before I move my commander. I'll then attack the chariot with my commander and try to force it off the field (80% chance to win). I'm likely to lose support for my phalanx for the following turn, but it can't be helped. I'll then attack the Gaesati with my Companion to help remove an attack on my Phalanx. I'll use my archers to try to disrupt the remaining Gaesati not in melee and also to cause some damage to the attacking average HF and I'm hoping my MF can get a disruption. If they do then I'll attack with my Argyraspides and Galatians to try to get a fragmentation or rout. I need some chain disruption to help me because the whole situation is looking fragile. I'll see what happens to determine what to do with my other Companion, either I'll move to fill the gap where my superior pikes will rout or I'll head north to help fend off the average HF. I'll send my lonely archer to the camp to attack the families. I'll need to be lucky to get a result there by getting an early cohesion loss, because if I need to get it below 65% it'll take a while. I'm hoping I can draw some chariots or cavalry back to stop me and thus take some pressure off my line. Here goes.... The Argyraspides next to the weak pikes attack and win 4 hits to 2, but no cohesion loss for the Gaesati :( but a lot of damage , The Phalanx attacks and loses 3 hits to 2, no cohesion loss, but loses 9%, ouch! :cry: My phalanx commander attacks and drives the chariot from the field and is now not providing rear support for my phalanx :( The Companion attacks the Gaesati and wins 3-2, no cohesion loss, but significant damage :) My doomed Argyraspides Pikeman now has a 16% chance to win (up from 8%) because the Argyraspides attack took it below 75% and so it only has 3 dice now - It attacks and wins 1-0 (hereafter I shall call this unit Arsenal) it only takes 1 damage and so is still at 48% :lol: My other superior pikemen attack and win 3-2 and my leftmost Argyraspides in melee attacks and wins 3-1. So a good set of melee results, but no cohesion drops for the enemy :( My archers attack the northmost Gaesati and achieve 1 and 2 hits, but no cohesion loss, the good news is that the Gaesati drops below 75% and so will be down to 3 dice at melee. I chose to attack with my 2 Galatians at even odds and hope for luck! I lose 3-1 to the Gaesati that's below 75% and take a big loss, the other impact is a 3-3 draw and both sides take fair losses, with mine slightly more. The good news is that my Argyraspides pikeman is now free to help in the north. My 2 MF archers attack the average HF and do 1 and 2 hits, but no cohesion loss :( My leftmost archer moves to the broken ground next to my Thorokitai and attacks at penalty for not facing the target, no real damage, however it may lure the chariot into the Thorokitai next turn. I move another LF into the gap my MF archers are shooting through and shot for 2 hits and finally get a disruption! I'm now wondering what setting Radio has for his chariots... if the one by the disrupted unit is set to evade then I can force it to evade through the disrupted unit, which will fragment it and then my Argyraspides can impact and rout it, which may give a disruption to the next unit. However, if it is AI or stand then I'll be attacking at 65% to lose! Image In my previous match versus Radio he was very cautious and every attack on his chariots so far has been evaded, but these have all been in my favour...what to do? If it evades through the Thorokitai is likely to follow and this could rout the unit and a cohesion drop for the next HF would make it very vulnerable for the Argyaspides charge. I figure time isn't on my side in this fight, so I'm going for it and if I fail, I hope I don't lose (1 in 3 chance). Image
Well he evaded, but I attacked the wrong front hex the chariot has retreated across the face of the line and I now can't rear charge it :( At least I didn't lose! I charge with my Argyraspides and get the fragmentation and decide to attack the next unit with my Galatians at 46% win 23% lose and win with a disruption. Hopefully I am setting up a chain rout for my next turn. I attack with superior archers and do minimal damage, rotate my Superior pikes for any attack next turn and bring my Thorokitai to help and bring my final MF archers to bring rear support. I move my other Companions to be able to attack the breakthrough in my line next turn and I move my the final Cretan archers to help give support fire to the southern flank. Finally my lonely archer heads to the families :twisted:

Turn 11: Seleucids 2/28 - Gauls 4/33
1st attack on phalanx is a win for Gaesati 2-0, big damage :( (I can't help feel the 1st attack should have been against Arsenal to try to get some cohesion loss on neighbouring units). Gaesati 2 - Arsenal 1 and Arsenal routs :( but no cohesion loss on neighbours. Armoured cavalry 1-3 Companions, big loss to cavalry. Gaesati 2-2 phalanx, phalanx routs :cry: Average HF charge Galations at the north, 2-2 draw. Average HF melee same unit and lose 2-0, big loss to attacker. Disrupted HF attacks same unit and wins 2-0, big loss to defender. Average HF attacks the archers (evades), attacks next archers (evades) and charges Thorokitai (I was hoping it would be superior pikes) and loses 2-1 and disrupts :( Chariots move to attack MF archers next time. 2 Average HF move to attack superior pikes next time. Gaesati attack Galations and win 4-3 I lose 61 units! Gaesati attack Argyraspides and draw 3-3, Gaesati attack Argyraspides next to routed Arsenal and lose 4-3 and take 71 damage! Next Gaesati attacks same unit and loses 2-0. 2 chariots continue the flanking on the right and a cavalry moves to exploit the flank too. Fragmented HF attacks Argyraspides at left flank and loses 3-0 and routs! next HF drops to fragmented too :D 2 HF and 3 javelinment move to reinforce Radio's right flank because it's starting to look very weak. Gaesati attacks Galatians in line and wins 3-2 and I take another big loss. Average HF and Inspired General move to supporting positions on the southern line. Light chariots cease flanking of my right and postion itself to stop my Thorokitai from charging the fragmented HF. The score is now Seleucids 6/28 - Gauls 6/33 but my southern line is looking fragile and my MF archers are threatened!
Here's the plan of attack!
Basic principles:
  • Attack with most likely winners first and biggest losers last. Maximise effect of chain cohesion loss for Radio and minimise this for me.
  • Attack with units that with rear support before moving the units that are giving support. e.g units 10 and 11 should attack before 23 moves.
  • Attack with units with no rear support after units move to rear to give support. e.g. unit 6 should only attack after 3 has moved to rear.
  • Ensure that Companions (6) can't break-off or it will leave my commader phalanx open to multiple attacks.
Attack sequence, with percentage chance of success/loss:
  1. 1 Attack HF (43%/25%) If the chariot doesn't evade then 22 will position for rear attack.
  2. 2 Position to shoot Gaesati.
  3. 3 Move for rear support for Companion and to stop the break-off.
  4. 4 Attack Gaesati (89%/2%) before rear-supporting Companion moves.
  5. 5 Move to support right flank and also stops other Companion breaking off.
  6. 6 Attack Gaesati at (50%/23%) - next turn will be at bad odds for attack from Cavalry.
  7. 7 Attack before neighbouring Galatians attacks in case of bad result and rout (80%/6%)
  8. 8 Attack (91%/2%) before Thorokitai attacks in case it routs.
  9. 10 Attack (53%/20%) before neighbouring Gaesati attacks in case it routs.
  10. 11 Attack (20%/53%) while the commander is providing rear support.
  11. 13 Move so it can't be attacked and to allow a gap for 14 to attack at safe range.
  12. 14 Move to attack chariot at safe range.
  13. 15 Move to shoot chariot.
  14. 16 Move to shoot chariot.
  15. 17 Rotate to shoot chariot.
  16. 20 Attack currently fragmented HF, or if routed attack unit to its right (hopefully fragmented by neighbouring unit rout).
  17. 21 Attack (8%/72%) right unit so that rear is not exposed to chariot. Odds may improve if some HF have routed and not fighting 3 units.
  18. 18 Move to attack right flank next turn.
  19. 19 Move to attack left flank next turn.
  20. 12 Move towards Families and shoot anything it can on route.
  21. 24 Move to rear of Thorokitai to provide rear and command support. May not do this if 1 attack has gone badly.
  22. 23 If 24 hasn't moved to rear of Thorokitai then either move to rear of Thorokitai to provide rear and command support or stay if 10 or 11 suffer cohesion loss.
  23. 9 Attack (51%/20%) - odds may be better if 8 attack has disrupted.
  24. Lonely archer to move towards families to start the ranged attack.
Results added in blue:
  1. 1 Attack HF (43%/25%) If the chariot doesn't evade then 22 will position for rear attack. 1-1 Slightly more damage given than received.
  2. 2 Position to shoot Gaesati. 2 hits - no cohesion loss - now below 75%
  3. 3 Move for rear support for Companion and to stop the break-off.
  4. 4 Attack Gaesati (89%/2%) before rear-supporting Companion moves. 4-2 win no cohesion loss
  5. 5 Move to support right flank and also stops other Companion breaking off.
  6. 6 Attack Gaesati at (50%/23%). 2-2 Slightly more damage given than received, enemy now below 75%
  7. 7 Attack before neighbouring Galatians attacks in case of bad result and rout (80%/6%) 2-2 Even damage, enemy now below 75%
  8. 8 Attack (91%/2%) before Thorokitai attacks in case it routs. 4-1 win, big damage and disrupts enemy - this will help Thorokitai attack
  9. 10 Attack (53%/20%) before neighbouring Gaesati attacks in case it routs. 3-2 win, big damage and disrupts enemy
  10. 11 Attack (20%/53%) while the commander is providing rear support.1-0 win 8) significant damage given, little taken
  11. 13 Move so it can't be attacked and to allow a gap for 14 to attack at safe range.
  12. 14 Move to attack chariot at safe range. 2 hits - no cohesion loss, 1 damage (10%)
  13. 15 Move to shoot chariot. 1 hit - no cohesion loss, little damage
  14. 16 Move to shoot chariot. 1 hit - no cohesion loss, 1 damage
  15. 17 Rotate to shoot chariot. 0 hits - no cohesion loss, little damage
  16. 20 Attack currently fragmented HF. 2-1 win no , enemy routs, no chain rout. Persue to contact next average HF
  17. 24 Move to rear of Galatians to provide rear and command support (new plan, since Galatians are still at bad odds and Thorokitai odds are good and can get support from phalanx.
  18. 21 Attack (16%/60%) right unit so that rear is not exposed to chariot. Odds did improve! 2-1 loss, only moderate damage
  19. 18 Move to attack right flank next turn.
  20. 19 Move to attack left flank next turn. Could move t oattack chariot, so did that. Shooting out of arc penalty. 2 hits - no cohesion loss - 1 damage (10%)
  21. 12 Move towards Families and shoot anything it can on route. Nothing in range.
  22. 23 Move to rear of Thorokitai to provide rear and command support.
  23. 9 Attack (51%/20%) - odds may be better if 8 attack has disrupted. Odds improve (63%/11%) Lost 1 -0 :( , no cohesion loss.
  24. Lonely archer to move towards families to start the ranged attack. Nothing in range although evaded chariot is not far away now - may have to run next turn.
  25. Argyraspides to right of Arsenal (I missed this in my notes) 2 attacks possible (74%/7% enemy 68% or 48%/19% enemy 52%) My first thougths are to attack the 52% to try to rout, but if I do then I open my unit to a charge from either of 2 cavalry units (1 inspired general) and if I lose (not unreasonable at 19%) it would be bad. I'm better off not routing and having weaker attacks against me next time. I attack the left unit at 74% win chance. 2-0 win and big damage 13% and no cohesion loss.
  26. 22 I had no plans for this unit, so I move directly north to separate from the pack. I expect the light chariot may come back to try either charge the Thorokitai supporting the line, or may try to flank and get to the rear. If it attacks the Thorokitai I should be able to position for a rear charge, if it tries to flank it'll be a longer trip and hopefully it'll arrive too late. I may have to sacrifice this unit to keep the line alive.
The score is now Seleucids 6/28 - Gauls 7/33 and I'm pleased with my position. The line is looking more healthy although 1 Argyraspides looks in trouble with 2 attacks, although one is just over 50%. If that routs (it's at 68%) then I may struggle at the south end. My other worry is if the chariot charges the disrupted Thorokitai - nothing I can do there though! Update: The Thorokitai rallied! 8)

Turn 12: Seleucids 6/28 - Gauls 6/33
A good battering along the line, but I think I get the better of the exchange. Both sides get 3 units disrupted, but a lot of Radio's units are now below 75% (7 of them) and 3 units are below 53%. I reckon I might get 5 or 6 routs this turn for perhaps 1 or 2 in return. The worrying thing though is that Radio still has about 6 units that are fresh and I have nothing! I just need cohesion loss to spread! As expected Radio has sent his chariot back to attack my left flank and this is going to cause me problems, hopefully I can sacrifice one Thorokitai to get a rear charge with the other and perhaps only lose cohesion rather than a unit. The bad news is that one of Radio's average HF rallied :(
Now to plan the attack, the sequence for chain routs etc. will be critical!
Image Same principles as before.
Attack sequence, with percentage chance of success/loss:
  1. 1 Position to shoot chariot.
  2. 2 Position to shoot chariot.
  3. 3 Companions (62%/13%) attack Gaesati.
  4. 4 Commander phalanx (89%/2%) attack Gaesati.
  5. 5 Companions (68%/12%) attack cavalry.
  6. 6 MF Archers move to give rear support and be ready to cover the hole that will appear when the Argyraspides break.
  7. 7 Argyraspides pike attack (95%/1%) before neighbouring Argyraspides attack in case of bad result and rout. It is also likely the Geasati will rout since it is high odds in my favour and it's health is only 52%. If it does it may disrupt the Gaesati that my weak Argyraspides will attack and that may give it an outside chance not to rout.
  8. 8 Argyraspides attack (18%/43%) and at 49% health :( Attacking early so I can react by changing plans if things go really badly.
  9. 9 Argyraspides attack (95%/1%) and disrupted and maybe fragmented if it suffers from the probable neighbour routing.
  10. 10 Argyraspides pike attack (95%/2%) before the commander phalanx moves neighbouring Thorokitai attack in case of bad result and rout. It is likely to fragment the warriors and this will help the Thorokitai.
  11. 11 Thorokitai attack (33%/31%) before the commander phalanx moves and rear support is lost.
  12. 12 Commander phalanx moves to support the Galatians.
  13. 13 Galatians attack (53%/16%) and will probably rout the Gaesati since they are 49% health, hopefully they will help by disrupting neighbouring units.
  14. 14 Galatians attack (8%/71%) but hopefully odds will improve by neighbours routing.
  15. 15 Argyraspides attack (85%/4%) and will hopefully disrupt to help Thorokitai#s impact attack.
  16. 16 Thorokitai will only attack (20%/56%) if the Argyraspides caused disruption. I hope this can attack because I need to move the javelinmen so that my archers can attack the fragmented warriors.
  17. 17 Move forward 1 hex and shoot chariot. This is to stop the chariot making a controlled turn. If he goes forwards he will have to follow wherever I evade to - there is risk of getting caught though :(.
  18. 18 Move to attack fragmented warriors, if no line of sight then shoot chariot.
  19. 19 Move to attack fragmented warriors, if no line of sight then shoot chariot.
  20. 20 Move for position for future attacks around left flank.
  21. 21 Move to attack javelinmen.
  22. 22 Move to attack javelinmen.
  23. LH Commander to move dependent on what has happened!
  24. Lonely archer to move towards families and start the ranged attack.
Results added in blue:
  1. 1 Position to shoot chariot. 2 hits.
  2. 2 Position to shoot chariot. 2 hits.
  3. 3 Companions (62%/13%) attack Gaesati. 3-2 win, significant damage dealt for little loss.
  4. 4 Commander phalanx (89%/2%) attack Gaesati. 3-0 win, significant damage dealt for little loss.
  5. 5 Companions (68%/12%) attack cavalry. 2-1 win, significant damage dealt for little loss, disrupted cavalry.
  6. 6 MF Archers move to give rear support and be ready to cover the hole that will appear when the Argyraspides break.
  7. 7 Argyraspides pike attack (95%/1%) before neighbouring Argyraspides attack in case of bad result and rout. It is also likely the Geasati will rout since it is high odds in my favour and it's health is only 52%. If it does it may disrupt the Gaesati that my weak Argyraspides will attack and that may give it an outside chance not to rout. 4-1 win, massive damage dealt for little loss, Gaesati routs and fragments northern neighbour, no effect on southern neighbour.
  8. 9 Argyraspides attack (95%/1%) and fragmented, attacking early so Argyraspides pikemen can switch to southern neighbour, which will thus help Argyrasides attack. 4-1 win, massive damage dealt for little loss, Gaesati routs and disrupts rear support and inspired commander cavalry by routing through them.
  9. 8 Argyraspides attack (18%/43%) and at 49% health :( Attacking early so I can react by changing plans if things go really badly. Percentages didn't change :(. 0-2 loss and routs, no disruption of neighbour.
  10. 10 Argyraspides pike attack (95%/2%) before the commander phalanx moves neighbouring Thorokitai attack in case of bad result and rout. It is likely to fragment the warriors and this will help the Thorokitai. 2-0 win and disrupts.
  11. 11 Thorokitai attack (33%/31%) before the commander phalanx moves and rear support is lost. Odds improve 44%/19%. 2-1 win and routs.
  12. 12 Commander phalanx moves to support the Galatians.
  13. 13 Galatians attack (53%/16%) and will probably rout the Gaesati since they are 49% health, hopefully they will help by disrupting neighbouring units. 2-1 loss, take big damage and only 3 to enemy(1%) :evil:
  14. 14 Galatians attack (8%/71%) but hopefully odds will improve by neighbours routing. 2-1 loss, take big damage, but no cohesion loss. Now 46% :twisted:
  15. 15 Argyraspides attack (85%/4%) and will hopefully disrupt to help Thorokitai#s impact attack. 4-2 win, give big damage and disrupt
  16. 16 Thorokitai will only attack (20%/56%) if the Argyraspides caused disruption. I hope this can attack because I need to move the javelinmen so that my archers can attack the fragmented warriors. Odds improve to 30%/41%. I chance the attack and lose 2-0 and disrupt :(
  17. 17 Move forward 1 hex and shoot chariot. This is to stop the chariot making a controlled turn. If he goes forwards he will have to follow wherever I evade to - there is risk of getting caught though :(. I move and find fragmented warrior is apossibility. 2 hits and rout warrior! 8) Unfortunately the warrior in front of Thorokitai doesn't fragment, but rear supporting warrior disrupts.
  18. 18 Move to attack fragmented warriors, if no line of sight then shoot chariot. 1 hit on chariot
  19. 20 Move for position for future attacks around left flank.
  20. 21 Move to attack javelinmen. 1 hit on chariot
  21. 19 Move to attack fragmented warriors, if no line of sight then shoot chariot. 0 hits on chariot
  22. 22 Move to attack javelinmen. 1 hit on javelinmen
  23. Unmarked Galatians in front of LH Commander attack Northern Gaesati. 2-0 win and disrupt
  24. LH Commander to move dependent on what has happened! Move behind Thorokitai to support
  25. Unmarked northern Thorokitai retreats one hex but faces same way - out of chariot attack and leave open possible rear attack if chariot catches LF.
  26. Lonely archer to move towards families and start the ranged attack. 1 hit on families - 4 damage, it could be a while! :lol:
Seleucids 8/28 - Gauls 13/33 Scores are level but a lot of Radio's units are in trouble, so I'm reasonably pleased. I could do without losing too many next turn, I'm expecting 2 to rout, maybe 3, I just hope I don't have chain cohesion loss. It's gonna be close but I think I may do this!

Turn 13: Seleucids 12/28 - Gauls 18/33
Radio throws everything into attack and suffers some horrendous losses, but not as many routs as I hoped, but has 3 fagmented units, 7 disrupted, 3 units 50% or less (only 1 is not steady) and 4 units below 75% (3 are not steady). His position is now very fragile. Conversely I only have 2 disrupted units, one at 53% (steady) and one at 72% (also disrupted), so 3 weak units. One piece of good news is that my archer designed to lead the chariot away did it's job and didn't get caught! 8) I reckon that with the right sequence of attacks I will rout lots and the game will be effectively won. Here's the start position:
I shan't list all my attacks, I'll just use the same principles as before. Things go well, but not as well as I hoped because a couple of weak units didn't rout, including one that was at 46% Here's the result:
The current score is Seleucids 12/28 - Gauls 28/33

Turn 14: Seleucids 12/28 - Gauls 28/33
Radio attacks and has some good success. His first attack routs my southern commander and this disrupts my southern most Companion and the persuit connnects the rear of the other Companion disrupting it! Both chariots charge my southernmost Companion and both lose and both lose a level of cohesion (disrupted and fragmented). The Gaesati at 49% attacks the northern Companion and draws (2-2) and only loses 4 to drop to 47%. The cavalry attacks the same unit and draws 2-2 too. Various other attacks take place, but the other one of note is my Galatians in the north that were below 50% routs (expected), but what I didn't expect is my rear-supporting commander losing a level, the unit then routs through the unit, fragmenting it (I expected the rout through) so it's now weaker than I anticipated - very weak! Not only that, but the Galatians also rout through the MF to the south disrupting it and misille attacks make it fragmented too - that whole group looks very perilous if the Argyraspides pike should fall, the good news is that it looks strong and I'm hoping I can win before it all collapses. I really should have seen that and taken steps to avoid what could have been calamitous had it been closer. Radio drops to 32/33, but rallies to 30/33. The score now is Seleucids 18/28 - Gauls 30/33
I manage to screw up the sequence of attacks around my nothern phalanx comander and manage to lose it and the MF archer next to it. It just goes to show that stopping and working out the full detail, rather than just working along the line clicking, does pay dividends. The good news is that I had a big enough lead to win anyway.
Final score: Seleucids 20/28 - Gauls 38/33

I hope some people found this useful and hopefully interesting. I'd like to thank Radio for a challenging game!
Last edited by Morbio on Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:30 am, edited 18 times in total.
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Re: FOG KO Cup Quarter Final: Morbio vs Radio

Post by stockwellpete »

Contribution received from Radio . . .

"Turn 5

Army selection was pretty easy, I've used the same army every game so far with the exception of the first round when I had 3 mobs. I'm not sure how I balanced that though, probably less gaesati mercenaries (the gallic superior impact foot). My selection fills most of my tactical criteria having plenty of impact foot to throw in wave after hopeless wave at my opponent until boredom or pity causes them to concede. In its standard deployment it's also symmetrical – nothing is more frustrating to me than having an odd unit out during set up.

With these important considerations taken care of I turned to deployment. My inspired leader won the initiative roll natch, as he always has so far this tournament. None of the maps screamed 'Kill Seleucids here!' at me though so I just went for something flat I haven't played on before too much and figured our heavy infantry could go at it in the middle of the battlefield without worrying too much about terrain and all that.

The only concession to the map I made in deployment was keeping a force of chariots and cavalry in reserve immediately behind my left – the ground was very open and if I was playing Seleucids its was where I would deploy the majority of my heavy cavalry.

Obviously all you peeps have seen the movements going on so you'll know Morbio didn't do that, holding off and harassing with his lights. His move (to my) right I found a little confusing, I can only imagine he wants to flank with his thorakitai through the gullies and such like, but anchoring his other flank on his own baggage seems an oddball move. Maybe its a trap with his two elite companions on the other side of it ready to run down the looters as they're held up by a turn of anarchy? Or maybe he's planning a sudden charge and doesn't think I'll get anywhere near his camp.

As for Morbios troop composition its every bit as intimidating as I feared, I'll have to hope that those pikes can be disrupted on impact and try to avoid the argyraspides or face them with stuff that's expendable.

I think that covers everything. The plan going into effect now should be pretty obvious to everyone, the only change from my original is the use of my chariots and cavalry considering Morbio is sticking pretty close to his baseline and holding his cavalry in the centre I decided to screen my infantry from missile fire and see if I couldn't catch an archer or two. They'll probably spend the rest of the battle entertaining on the right and in the centre."
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

Morbio, if you could include the score after the various turns that would be great. :wink:
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

And some more thoughts from Radio . . .

"Turn 5 to ignominious defeat.

There's not a lot to say really, I carried out my attack on my left, it would have been nice if the javelin men could have got a disruption on the corner stone pike unit but it was always a little unlikely. Morbio brought his centre and left forward and delivered an ass whupping whilst my assault took too long to hack its way through Morbios formidable defences.

Post battle analysis I should have refused my right for a lot longer, to the point of the warriors forming a right angle with the attacking gestati mercenaries if necessary. This would have been possible by withdrawing all my mobile stuff straight back from where they were on turn 5, thus threatening Morbios flank if he followed up with his assault on the centre and left. As it was my cavalry and chariots migrated naturally towards my main effort on my left, but as Morbio was holding his line pretty far back there just wasn't the room behind him for them to be useful and all in all they contributed nothing to the battle, which is a lot of wasted points.

It was fun being in the tournament and I'll definitely be back for the next one. All the best to Morbio in the next round too."
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

Thanks very much to both players for an exciting AAR. I think we can definitely say thatt Morbio has provided the most detailed and rigorous AAR in the history of FOG! Great stuff! :D

Return to “Field of Glory : AAR's”