Aristides 1 1 0 304
Sarpedon 1 0 1 253
batesmotel 0 0 0 250
blbrowning 0 0 0 250
phlewis 1 0 1 228
Turk1964 2 1 1 210

The scores so far...
Keyth

ubi solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant.
Aristides
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Re: To Tame a Land

Post by Aristides »

Tiavals wrote:Aristides, ever heard of a Pyrrhic Victory? You might win but still lose. :D
Indeed! Losses can be crucial, I agree.
But Pyrrhus had a small resource base whereas the people and senate of Rome had oodles of chaps willing and able to take up the pilum, so the latter could afford the losses and the former could not. There are many examples of close battles with high casualties on both sides that proved decisive for the victor despite their high losses.

Part of my job is forseeing potential problems before they actually occur, so this may be mis-application; I'm new to these forums - some places encourage discussion and analysis, some 'just wannna play'.

(I fear a tendency may crop up to play cautiously rather than 'going for a win'...)
‘I go North, to the swords and the siege,
That yet for a while rivers may run clean and birds build their nests,
Ere Night comes.’
Aristides

Post by Aristides »

keyth wrote:Name Played Won Lost Renown
keyth 2 1 1 492 (but dead :))
Cruel!
Ere Night comes.’
keyth
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by keyth »

I think all your points are valid ones. We could come up with many different scoring mechanisms and each would encourage certain 'behaviours'. So here we call it 'renown' for flavour but it's just points :)

The current mechanism is intended to encourage 'good' wins rather than winning regardless - keeping your break points low, not getting looted and not losing commanders will significantly increase your score. I don't want to particularly reward a string of 35/36 victories over a string of 37/36 defeats for example :) It's not a true league and is not meant to be - the open nature means that some players will fight more battles than others (and some will get killed off early! ;)). Hopefully it's a fun context to play FoG battles in, and somewhere where we can all have a laugh with some friendly trash-talk and bragging rights.
Keyth

keyth
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by keyth »

Aristides wrote:
keyth wrote:Name Played Won Lost Renown
keyth 2 1 1 492 (but dead :))
Cruel!
The Fates have a dark sense of humour, but I can see the funny side :)
Keyth

Turk1964
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by Turk1964 »

Thanks for posting the leader board Keyth. Looks like i need to retrain my army and Appoint a more dynamic commander :shock: Can one change an army that one has chosen unwisely? My other choice i fear will not take the punishment of my first :(

Cheers Turk
keyth
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by keyth »

Turk1964 wrote:Thanks for posting the leader board Keyth. Looks like i need to retrain my army and Appoint a more dynamic commander :shock: Can one change an army that one has chosen unwisely? My other choice i fear will not take the punishment of my first :(

Cheers Turk
I would say that swapping one army is OK - we are here to have fun after all - but that's your lot (until you score enough renown to 'unlock' more lists). I'll add a 'one swap' rule to the Campaign notes.

Cheers.
Keyth

Turk1964

Post by Turk1964 »

Thanks Keyth :D If its ok i will change the Ghazivads to the Early Nikes . I think the Ghazis are fairly well outclassed unless the right terrain turns up .

Cheers Turk
Tiavals
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by Tiavals »

Turk1964 wrote:Thanks Keyth :D If its ok i will change the Ghazivads to the Early Nikes . I think the Ghazis are fairly well outclassed unless the right terrain turns up .

Cheers Turk
Wow. I would say the exact opposite. Early Nikes are useless if there's any rough terrain, and the Ghaznavids are superb in any sort of terrain. Funny how people hold so different opinions. :D
keyth
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by keyth »

I was thinking the same - in the last few weeks I've managed something like 7 out of 8 wins against the Nikes, mostly using Early Southern Slavs or Arab Conquest(later). But then there are armies that are considered strong that I lose with on a depressingly regular basis! :)
Keyth

Aristides

Post by Aristides »

Also, some armies are far harder to use successfully than others. The ghaz r great if you know how to use them (I don't - yet) and i think the Nikes can be superb in the right hands. But it's also true that choice of battlefield can be crucial...
Ere Night comes.’
Turk1964

Post by Turk1964 »

I was thinking along the lines of Arab conquest,but decided on the early Nikes as a reserve for my Khazars. But then How do you know in advance what terrain an opponent will put up? Most seem to have mainly cav armies in this contest and if you come across the Arab Conquest super army well your in trouble :) My theory really is to get better using cavalry armies as i am not that good with them. I am not as skillfull as some are with cav but enjoy the challange :D

Cheers Turk
Tiavals

Post by Tiavals »

I hate armies that don't have MF. When you happen to fight in a battle that is in bad terrain, there's nothing you can do except die. If possible, I always like to have at least some MF to use in terrain, plus due to their speed they are good for other stuff. The Nikes have no MF, so I've been badly crushed as them. They are cool, especially the later Nikes, since they get Elite Catapracts and Varangians, which are awesome. And if you have MF and are going against an enemy that doesn't, you can safely choose a Very Crowded map, and you'll have an advantage even if he chooses the map. I normally play armies that are versatile and don't have to take a lot of HF or Cav if you don't want to, at least if I want to win. ;) MF can win against HF in flat terrain, but HF can't win against MF in poor terrain. I like to have a little bit of everything, some lancers, some horse archers, some normal archers, some HF and plenty of MF, and some elephants if possible. The Ghaznavids fit perfectly for that. But I've been playing a bit too much as them(and I'm "saving" them for LOEG), so I decided to take some other armies this time. The Hamdanids aren't that different from them anyway.
Aristides

Post by Aristides »

Tiavals wrote:I hate armies that don't have MF... and some elephants if possible. The Ghaznavids fit perfectly for that. But I've been playing a bit too much as them(and I'm "saving" them for LOEG), so I decided to take some other armies this time. The Hamdanids aren't that different from them anyway.
I agree that some MF is to be recommended, not just for terrain but for speed like catching archers etc. But with big-MF armies I do think a lot depends on the terrain. Even if you choose very crowded, if your opponent chooses very open and chooses the map you can have a battlefield with v. little BG. If ur opponent has a lot of lancers your Sup MI may have to hide in BG (extra +1 for mtd v MI impact, plus -1 to cohesion).

Jury is still out about Els for me - they're expensive and vuln. to missiles.
While we'r chatting, I have to say Pks seem way overpriced to me.
Ere Night comes.’
phlewis
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by phlewis »

I must admit that so far I have not done very well with the Later Nikephorians. The Skutatoi have been particularly brittle so far. The Hamdanids seem to work better for me overall. I really like the Early Comnenan Byzantines much better than the Nikes (sadly they are not available for this campaign).

Pat Lewis
Turk1964

Post by Turk1964 »

Thanks for all your comments guys i appreciate all your input :D I guess ive given myself a real challange with the Early Nikes :? Ah well see what happens i may get lucky :wink:
blbrowning
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by blbrowning »

Mr. Turk, I see you have a 500 point challenge. For whom?

blbrowning
Turk1964

Post by Turk1964 »

Gday Blbrowing. The challange you see i have set for Flatsix518 a practise run tyou may say. I cant attack anyone in this comp as i have had my 1 attack if you wish to attack me you must declare it here and send me a challange :)

Cheers Turk
blbrowning

Post by blbrowning »

Thank you Mr Turk. I will challenge the batesmotel as the motel has no record of play. Password bates.

blbrowning
Aristides

Post by Aristides »

Wait, I'm confused - you guys (bl & bates) haven't even started the first round yet? Are we still waiting for bates' action then?
Ere Night comes.’

Return to “Field of Glory Campaigns”