Imperium Campaign

Forum for campaigns based around the Field of Glory digital version

Moderators: Slitherine Core, NewRoSoft, FoG PC Moderator

Ironclad
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Imperium Campaign

Post by Ironclad » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:19 pm

I'm hoping to run a new campaign when FOG unity is released. Imperium will be set in an imagined Roman - Hellenistic world with 6 or maybe 8 major powers and other minor states. The plan is to have enough players to run the major powers, and to have a wider pool including them, myself as GM and some reserve players to operate the armies of the minors when under attack. Terrain will influence battle terrain but will not impact significantly on movement which will be basic - state to state to allow for FOG battles. Each year will comprise 3 (sometimes 4) campaigning seasons and a winter one for adjustments when armies return home. War points will act as combined resource/victory points. The game will include random events - one of which will be attacks by more advanced (ie later time period) raiders.

It will be my first time running a campaign and the rules are new but I hope it will prove enjoyable for all participants when the new FOG and it get off the ground. If anyone is interested please note it here. Link to dropbox for current details and map https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qwt0i0fxx0ou ... 5Ex6a?dl=0
Last edited by Ironclad on Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:41 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Praeter
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Re: Imperium Campaign

Post by Praeter » Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:35 pm

Sounds interesting - would like to give it a go

MikeMarchant
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by MikeMarchant » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:35 pm

I'd be delighted to join in too, if you'll have me.

Best Wishes

Mike

majandro
Tournament 3rd Place
Tournament 3rd Place

Post by majandro » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:39 am

Hi,

I'll like to join.

You can count with me.

iandavidsmith
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Post by iandavidsmith » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:22 am

I am interested as well.
Ian

Ulysisgrunt
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by Ulysisgrunt » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:49 pm

Count me in...
When do you suppose it will launch?
Danny Weitz...

Jonathan4290
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by Jonathan4290 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:54 pm

I'd like to be part of reserve players for minor powers so I can see how everything plays out.
Check out my website, The Art of Battle: Animated Battle Maps, where I recreate the greatest battles and campaigns of history: http://www.theartofbattle.com

TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:13 pm

I'm a little rusty w FOG but would love to join if room, cheers!

Ironclad

Post by Ironclad » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:05 pm

Ulysisgrunt wrote:Count me in...
When do you suppose it will launch?
Danny Weitz...
I don't know other than comments on the forum suggest it is close; hope so anyway.

Ironclad

Post by Ironclad » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:46 pm

Access to drop box folder with proposed rules, army lists/terrain and fuller size map has been added to the first post.

Ulysisgrunt
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by Ulysisgrunt » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:38 pm

This looks very interesting; and very, very impressive.
1)Does the campaign have a specific year that armies will be chosen from?
2)When do you think that we will start?

Danny
What? Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

Ironclad

Post by Ironclad » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:10 pm

Ulysisgrunt wrote:This looks very interesting; and very, very impressive.
1)Does the campaign have a specific year that armies will be chosen from?
2)When do you think that we will start?

Danny
Thanks. The list are based on roughly 260 to 200 BC with the latter as the notional start date. Some slippage outside these dates was unavoidable for some armies. The raiders are deliberately chosen from a later period - 260 AD onwards. I was tempted to start with the old FOG and then switch but the problem is the server will switch to the new FOG leaving any started pbem games up the creek. Hence it seems advisable to wait.

Ironclad

Post by Ironclad » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:35 pm

Thanks all. So far we have seven expressing an interest, which is enough to run the six major powers plus 2 including myself to take on the armies of minors/raiders supplemented at times by doubling up of some of the majors, if that's alright. Any further recruits will beef up the reserves.

In view of that I believe we can get things underway. First I need your preferences at to which power you would like to play. They are:

Hellene Empire - Seleucids, Palatine Republic - Romans, Rivers Kingdom - Ptolemies, Realm of Baal - Carthaginians, Sophene - Armenians, and Zarces Empire - Parthians. Further information including armies and a larger map can be accessed through the link on the first post on this thread.

My original intention was to await FOG Unity but I'm wondering whether its better to to use the existing FOG and deal with the switchover when it happens. Of course there may be issues of player availability over the Christmas/New Year period. Even if there is a delay for games we can still make a start on country allocation and declarations of war for the spring season.

I'd welcome any views.

Ulysisgrunt
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by Ulysisgrunt » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:50 pm

This reminds me of the campaign that RBS developed many years ago(decades!!). From that I learned that it is best to start out in a corner. I am amenable to any army. One quality RBS's system had were strict climate rules; I lost an army in the 15th century in Italy trying to march over the Apennines in late November! I was furious, but that year I drove over one of the roads between Florence and Bologna. There was a sign warning about sudden Blizzards....
Danny Weitz
What? Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

Ironclad

Post by Ironclad » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:36 pm

Amusing! The only climate affects here are in the random events. Bad storms stop spring sea movement but now that you've mentioned blizzards...... :)

Jonathan4290

Post by Jonathan4290 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:20 pm

I'm interested in playing as minor powers as required and have very good availability over the break.

I agree with starting without new version. The Digital League stopped because the new version was "very soon" and we all know how many times that has been said.
Check out my website, The Art of Battle: Animated Battle Maps, where I recreate the greatest battles and campaigns of history: http://www.theartofbattle.com

TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:07 am

Hello, I too agree with beginning with original FOG. I would hope that Slitherine wouldnt just pull the plug on a server without some sort of advanced warning to give time to complete games...

Anyways, the major player lists seem ok but the Armenian Khosrov list is an oddity as Im pretty sure the DAG dates are way off. I say this because the allies for that list: Kushan, Alan and Roman are all post AD armies... Of course the Armenian ( and Parthian list) are going to have a tough time vs three good Successor pike armies regardless of allies !

Despite the above I will draw for Sophene - Armenians... ( unless the esteemed Iandavidsmith would like them, in which case I would request the Romans so as to renew the old rivalry from the Lost Campaign days haha)

Ironclad

Post by Ironclad » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:20 am

Thanks.I did wonder about that list but was spending so much time on other things for the campaign that I never got around to checking it.

iandavidsmith

Post by iandavidsmith » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:28 am

TheGrayMouser wrote: Despite the above I will draw for Sophene - Armenians... ( unless the esteemed Iandavidsmith would like them, in which case I would request the Romans so as to renew the old rivalry from the Lost Campaign days haha)
I remember you invading me in the Lost World Campaign and in the end we forged a non-aggressive alliance after many a battle.
I think Ironclad was one of my neighbouring areas as well , and the ill fated group attack on Patherboy , who eventually became a god and left the
campaign cause no one could touch his horde army.

Ironclad

Post by Ironclad » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:16 am

TheGrayMouser wrote: Of course the Armenian ( and Parthian list) are going to have a tough time vs three good Successor pike armies regardless of allies !
Good point and thinking about this I'm minded to make some changes to help balance. First one is to reverse a change I made before publishing details and the map, that was to move Argead - Late Macedonians from the mercenaries list and swap it for the then on map Attikas - Athenians. This was to provide a suitable minor to swap to major power status if there was the player numbers to justify a move to eight major powers. On the same theme I had added another off map power as a possible future major to the provisional map extension that I had done for the future. The conceit was that this was a group of exiles from the Palatine Republic - hence the name Exilia.

I propose therefore to add Exilia - Romans and Argead - Late Macedonian to the mercenary nations to beef them up with Attikas - Athenians replacing Argead on the map. This would also allow me to remove Bospus - Bosporans from the mercenaries as according to the FOG army information it was only in existence around 300 BC (I had left it in as I needed a stronger army and I was sure some Bosporans must have been around in 200 BC). If anyone disagrees or wants to comment please do so.

Return to “Field of Glory Campaigns”