FREE CEAW Grand Strategy Expansion!

PSP/DS/PC/MAC : WWII turn based grand strategy game

Moderators: firepowerjohan, rkr1958, Happycat, Slitherine Core

afk_nero
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

%$&£~#GS wont run

Post by afk_nero »

I am close to booting this laptop out the window and joining the green tree hugging party as trying to get this to work is going to send me to an early grave. I rebuilt the PC and reloaded CEaW this didnt work so I then redownloaded the game and reinstalled everything from fresh and still nothing.

1. What is the issue?
(c) Installer completes but the GS expansion won't run.

2. What version are you trying to install the expansion over?
(a) Slitherine.
(b) Original version that you purchased? - v1.00.
(c) Version that you're trying to install over? - v1.12
(d) Was this version patched from your original version? no - downloaded everything again from the begining (I have done this 4 times now each time thinking that I may have done something wrong - I am now convinced its not me)

3. GS expansion size after install.
(a) How many MB and files is the GS expansion after install? Not sure what you mean the CEaW Grand Strategy Mod file is 379MB big after install
(b) To locate the expansion go to where you installed the standard (i.e., vanilla) game.
(c) The expansion should be located in the "Grand Strategy Mod" subfolder to that location.
The game is located for me in the following directory: C:\Program Files\Slitherine\Military History Commander - Europe at War GOLD - there is then 2 sub directories one called CEaW - Grand Strategy and Grand Strategy Mod
(d) For me the expansion is located in, "C:\Program Files\Slitherine\Commander - Europe at War\Grand Strategy Mod".
For me this is located in C:\Program Files\Slitherine\Military History Commander - Europe at War GOLD\Grand Strategy Mod
(e) IMPORTANT: Make sure you get size details for the "Grand Strategy Mod" subfolder and NOT the "CEaW - Grand Strategy" subfolder. The Grand Strategy Mod folder has a Size of 379MB
(f) Both subfolders are created and used by the installer but "CEaW - Grand Strategy", which is almost empty, is only used for install and uninstall purposes.

4. Did the GS user data folder get created? (NOT applicable if your issue is 1 (a) or 1 (b))
(a) This path to this folder is: "*\My Documents\CEAW Grand Strategy"
Dont believe so - in my documents this is the only CEaW folder - C:\Documents and Settings\CDG\My Documents\CEAW

(b) If yes to (a), does the file, "settings.txt" in that folder exist? Yes
(c) If yes to (a), does "*\My Documents\CEAW Grand Strategy\data\scenario" folder exist? No
(d) If yes to (c), does "*\My Documents\CEAW Grand Strategy\data\scenario" contain any files? No
(e) If yes to (d), what files?

5. What are your computer details?
(a) Desktop or laptop? Laptop
(b) Operating Systems? (e.g., XP, Vista or Windows 7). XP Pro
(c) RAM? (e.g., 512-MB, 1-GB, 2-GB) 1GB
(d) Available harddrive space? (i.e., how much is left on the drive to which you're trying to install or run the expansion). circa 60GB spare

Is there anyone who knows what they are doing willing to access my PC and have a quick look to see whats up? From what I can see above it looks as if the user data folder hasnt been created.

Please help.....anyone.
rkr1958
General - Elite King Tiger

Re: %$&£~#GS wont run

Post by rkr1958 »

afk_nero wrote:I am close to booting this laptop out the window and joining the green tree hugging party as trying to get this to work is going to send me to an early grave. I rebuilt the PC and reloaded CEaW this didnt work so I then redownloaded the game and reinstalled everything from fresh and still nothing.
Please help.....anyone.
Don't boot it out the window just yet. I just got back from dinner with my father-in-law and some last minute Christmas shopping. I'm too full of food and Christmas shopping to be of any good right now but let me digest both for a while and I'll take a look at your post in more detail and see if we can figure something out.
rkr1958

Re: %$&£~#GS wont run

Post by rkr1958 »

rkr1958 wrote:
afk_nero wrote:I am close to booting this laptop out the window and joining the green tree hugging party as trying to get this to work is going to send me to an early grave. I rebuilt the PC and reloaded CEaW this didnt work so I then redownloaded the game and reinstalled everything from fresh and still nothing.
Please help.....anyone.
Don't boot it out the window just yet. I just got back from dinner with my father-in-law and some last minute Christmas shopping. I'm too full of food and Christmas shopping to be of any good right now but let me digest both for a while and I'll take a look at your post in more detail and see if we can figure something out.
Have you applied the hotfix? See viewtopic.php?p=118566#118566

This has to be applied manually for now. However; Slitherine will release an installer for v1.01 very soon.
afk_nero

Post by afk_nero »

Hi rkr1958,

Just applied the patch and same issue - it wont run still looking for Java.exe file (cant find the shortcut). I think forwhatever reason there is something screwed up with where the game points to to start up (heck I am trying to sound like I know what I am speaking about).

THis is getting pretty desperate now - I have the the "family" coming over and my wife is set to entertain - I have been asked to occupy myself and keep out of the way (which sounds perfect for me). If I cant get this running I may actually have to mingle......... heaven help us.

Thanks for your help so far - just completed my Christmas shopping last night as well.

Kind regards,

Oren
afk_nero

Post by afk_nero »

When I clicked on properties of the GS icon to launch the game it tries to open this target - is this correct? When I tried looking for this path I couldnt find the below.

"C:\Program Files\Slitherine\Military History Commander - Europe at War GOLD\Grand Strategy Mod\jre\bin\java.exe" -Xss20m -Xms400m -Xmx800m -classpath . CEAW 14100
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

Oren,

You may have done this already but go ahead and try it again. I will also post instructions on what to do if the following doesn't work.

Go to "*:\My Documents\CEAW Grand Strategy" and delete the settings.txt file. See if that works. If it does great! Stop and enjoy. If not, we've got to go manual.

The following is fairly advance and if you feel it's too advance then stop here and let me know.

We need to run the game from a DOS prompt to see what messages (if any you're getting).

start -> run -> cmd (to open a dos prompt). Change directory to where the mod is located. According to your shortcut it should be

C:\Program Files\Slitherine\Military History Commander - Europe at War GOLD\Grand Strategy Mod

Type the following command from the DOS prompt: jre\bin\java.exe -Xss20m -Xms400m -Xmx800m -classpath . CEAW 14100

If fact you can just copy and paste the command in your prompt and hit enter.

Let me know what messages you see.
afk_nero

Post by afk_nero »

Aaah,

I think you are onto something here.

Firstly there is no \My Documents\CEAW Grand Strategy - there is only a CEAW folder (not a seperate folder for Grand strategy)

Secondly when I tried going through the dos prompt as you suggested the error I recieved was "the system cannot find the path specified"

Now how to fix this????????
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

afk_nero wrote:Aaah,

I think you are onto something here.

Firstly there is no \My Documents\CEAW Grand Strategy - there is only a CEAW folder (not a seperate folder for Grand strategy)

Secondly when I tried going through the dos prompt as you suggested the error I recieved was "the system cannot find the path specified"

Now how to fix this????????
Can you locate the folder: "Grand Strategy Mod"? If so, what is the full path to that folder? And, how large is it?
afk_nero

Post by afk_nero »

Yep - folder is located as follows:

C:\Program Files\Slitherine\Military History Commander - Europe at War GOLD\Grand Strategy Mod

Size = 193MB

There is also a on disk size of 205MB

It says that there are 4799 files and 17 folders (under the Grand strategy Mod folder.
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

afk_nero wrote:Yep - folder is located as follows:

Size = 193MB

There is also a on disk size of 205MB

It says that there are 4799 files and 17 folders (under the Grand strategy Mod folder.
Something is wrong. Your install is incomplete. The folder should be 311 MB with 7857 files and 113 folders.

Does the folder "C:\Program Files\Slitherine\Military History Commander - Europe at War GOLD" contain the vanilla game?

Run the uninstaller and let me know how large "C:\Program Files\Slitherine\Military History Commander - Europe at War GOLD" is?

Also, are you running the installer as the administrator?
afk_nero

Post by afk_nero »

I believe the vanilla game is located under the following directory:

C:\Program Files\Slitherine\Commander - Europe At War

There is now just one folder called commander Europe at War and its 225MB large
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

afk_nero wrote:I believe the vanilla game is located under the following directory:

C:\Program Files\Slitherine\Commander - Europe At War

There is now just one folder called commander Europe at War and its 225MB large
Ahh ... that's your problem. You need to select the above folder to install the expansion in. Don't use the default. Override it and select: C:\Program Files\Slitherine\Commander - Europe At War
for your installation.
afk_nero

Post by afk_nero »

Wooohooo,

Success - perfect. Thank you very much. Couldnt have asked for more from Santa.

I will mention this to the others.
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

afk_nero wrote:Wooohooo,

Success - perfect. Thank you very much. Couldnt have asked for more from Santa.

I will mention this to the others.
Glad you got it working. Enjoy.
Craig64
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Craig64 »

Merry christmas guys...............Man I'm stuffed just reading those last few threads to get the game to work. I've had no dramas at all didnt need the add-on mine runs fine, the only change was I needed to check hidden folders in my control panel so I could re load saved games.
briancasey27

Post by briancasey27 »

Are their any alternatives to the RapidShare site for the patch? I've been trying to download it all day and keep getting the "This file can only be downloaded by becoming a Premium member. There are no more download slots available for free users right now. If you don't want to become a premium member, you might want to try again later."

There has to be another way to get this ...
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

briancasey27 wrote:Are their any alternatives to the RapidShare site for the patch? I've been trying to download it all day and keep getting the "This file can only be downloaded by becoming a Premium member. There are no more download slots available for free users right now. If you don't want to become a premium member, you might want to try again later."

There has to be another way to get this ...
I suspect the official installer v1.01 will be out tomorrow. Or you can PM me your email address and I'll email the hotfix to you.
BuddyGrant

Post by BuddyGrant »

Was any of the new Grand Strategy expansion work done using the original CEAW Map Editor?

Related question: Is there any chance we can use the CEAW Map Editor for the Grand Strategy expansion at some point in the future? I suspect that will mean including some additional files in the expansion install, because the editor won't work properly right now with the Grand Strategy scenario's.
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

I just submitted GS v1.02 to Iain. I don't know if he'll skip the official release of v1.01 (i.e., installer version) in favor of v1.02 installer version; however, you can apply the prerelease of v1.02 over the top of any GS version (e.g., v1.00 or v1.00 patched).

The prerelease only contains data and class files and does not contain the graphic files, which were not changed. Therefore, it's only 710KB zipped.

Link: http://rapidshare.com/files/331025773/GSv1.02patch.zip

GS Expansion v1.02 Change Log.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Games started under GS v1.00 can be continued under GS v1.02. This means that if you apply this update that you can load and continue to play saved games started with GS v1.00.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12-10-2009
1. Changed the expected entry date for Poland, who is pro Allied, to 9-1-1939. If not attacked by Germany, Poland will activate at the end of the Allied turn no later than 9-29-1939. If Poland activates then the Polish units do not suffer the 10% efficiency loss. If Germany; however, declares war on Poland then all Polish units suffer an immediate efficiency loss of 10%.

2. Fixed a messaging bug where the owning player wasn't being notified when a minor ally activated on their own. The axis player was not seeing any messages when Italy, Romania, Bulgaria, Hungary or Finland joined the war. Similarly, the allied player wasn’t any messages when the USA and Free France activated. This is now fixed.

12-11-2009 (Hotfix)
3. Fixed a code bug that caused the game for some players to hang on startup when scenarios are loaded. For those players that experienced this bug this is a critical bug and prevented them from playing the expansion.

12-13-2009
4. There was a bug where the ownership of a airfield wasn’t changing when its adjoining fortress was captured. This is now fixed. Ownership of the airfield now changes at the end of the first turn that the airfield is not occupied. If the airfield is occupied at the time of its fortress capture then ownership is maintained by the side that lost the fortress until their air unit leaves the airfield. The air unit can be attacked by both the adjacent ground unit and one enemy air unit until it leaves.

12-18-2009
5. Made the expansion compatible with CEaW 1.12.1. Now, the Grand Strategy expansion should work with either CEaW 1.12 or 1.12.1. Also, Grand Strategy games can between played between players where one has applied the expansion over 1.12 and the other over1.12.1 even though those same two players would not be able to play a standard game.
6. GS version changed to 1.01 from 1.00. This changed was made in all 8 language file.
7. Made a number updates and edits to the user manual.

12-20-2009
8. Fixed a bug that existed in the vanilla game that prevented the placement of a German unit inside of Vichy France at the fall of France if that unit was in a hex controlled by Italy.
1-1-2010
9. Syria bug. Syria not surrendering when Damascus falls is indeed a bug. The reason for the bug is that the primary capital of Syria belongs to France in the 1939 and 1940 scenarios. That means it's not set properly when loading the game. When Syria is created then the primary capital is not set. So it's without a capital even though it has one on the map. The surrender code checks for a primary capital. This bug has been fixed by defining Damascus as a primary capital for Syria when France surrenders.
10. Initial weather was not random in the 1940 and 1941 scenarios (not starting in all fair weather). We noticed that I got the same weather every time the 1940 and 1941 scenarios were started. You always get fair central weather in February in the 1940 scenario and mud weather in February in the 1941 scenario. This bug has been fixed so you now get random weather based on the appropriate probabilities (i.e., chances) for February.
11. Canadian weather. Changed the code so Canada (including UK controlled part of Canada) plus Greenland and Iceland are now part of the north weather zone.
12. Convoy bug regarding Halifax. Rewrote the convoy code so New York port will be set as a destination if Halifax becomes Axis controlled.
13. Convoys when UK surrenders. Changed the code so the convoys will become US and go to New York when UK surrenders (Ottawa falls).
14. US DoW upon Germany when an Axis unit controls a hex in Canada (including UK controlled part of Canada). Added this code as well because we felt it's an omission to not think about what would happen if Germany landed in Canada. Now USA will automatically join the Allies by DoW'ing Germany if the Axis are so bold to land units in Canada.
15. Fredericton garrison. Added the Fredericton garrison to all scenarios. The reason was that Canada is neutral until some time in 1941 and that means the Germans can DoW Canada and land directly into Fredericton and get supply without the Allied player being able to stop it. The allies can't move units to Fredericton after England falls because the territory is neutral. So by adding a garrison here it means the Germans must fight for a supply source.

1-2-2010
16. Changed 2 hexes in Portugal that were incorrectly flagged as Spanish owned.
17. Added the game turn to the mini-map and changed it so each major power has the same color as their NATO symbol except for Germany, which is still blue because the grey/green color is too similar to the background. Made a common color for all axis minors and another common color for the allied minors.

1-5-2010
18. GS version changed to 1.02 from 1.01.
richardsd
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by richardsd »

back from xmas with the family, now to get this working

To assist us in isolating and solving these types of issues please post answers to the following questions?

1. What is the issue?

(d) GS will start but freezes before start/load game menu. (if so, describe where it freezes). at loading page, red with Grand Strategy - also a problem as the txt is missing, I just get X-X-X ...

2. What version are you trying to install the expansion over?
(a) Slitherine,
(b) Original version that you purchased? v1.00,
(c) Version that you're trying to install over? (e.g. v1.12) plus GS patch
(d) Was this version patched from your original version? yes

3. GS expansion size after install. (NOT applicable if your issue is 1 (a) or 1 (b))
(a) How many MB and files is the GS expansion after install? 758. 19,196

(d) For me the expansion is located in, "C:\Program Files\Slitherine\Commander - Europe at War\Grand Strategy Mod". mine isC:\Program Files\Slitherine\Military History Commander - Europe at War GOLD - the gransd strategy mod is in this with standard game

(f) Both subfolders are created and used by the installer but "CEaW - Grand Strategy", which is almost empty, is only used for install and uninstall purposes. correct

4. Did the GS user data folder get created? (NOT applicable if your issue is 1 (a) or 1 (b))
(a) This path to this folder is: "*\My Documents\CEAW Grand Strategy" yes
(b) If yes to (a), does the file, "settings.txt" in that folder exist? yes
(c) If yes to (a), does "*\My Documents\CEAW Grand Strategy\data\scenario" folder exist? yes
(d) If yes to (c), does "*\My Documents\CEAW Grand Strategy\data\scenario" contain any files? yes
(e) If yes to (d), what files? 39 to 44 and scn

5. What are your computer details?
(a) Desktop
(b) Operating Systems? (e.g., XP,
(c) RAM? 3.5 gb
(d) Available harddrive space? (i.e., how much is left on the drive to which you're trying to install or run the expansion). 446 gb

Return to “MILITARY HISTORY™ Commander - Europe at War : General Discussion”