Field of Glory Tabletop Rankings Live!

General discussion forum for anything related to Field of Glory Ancients & Medieval.

Moderators: philqw78, terrys, hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Design, Field of Glory Moderators

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Field of Glory Tabletop Rankings Live!

Post by IainMcNeil »

Slitherine and Osprey Publishing are pleased to announce the release of a brand new ranking and data system for the award winning miniatures gaming system Field of Glory.

The Field of Glory gaming system has conquered players around the world and has quickly become the most played system for the Ancient and Medieval periods. Thousands of players are now enjoying Field of Glory and its thirteen army list companion books on a regular basis.

This new and impressive tournament ranking system adds a completely new dimension to the game, bringing an additional level of enjoyment and involvement. The tournament ranking system provides a facility to research armies and gauge their effectiveness on the battlefield, collating data from the results of thousands of games played across the world.

The ranking system is able to display each players details and results and outputs graphs about their performances. All army list details are also included giving players the ability to research success rates, rankings of players and the armies used.

The graphical output also allows a deeper game by game analysis that allows Generals to drill down in fine detail.

The Field of Glory official ranking system has been developed by Karsten Loh and Martin Wirt and has no equal in the wargaming world. Both Slitherine and Osprey owe Karsten and Martin a debt of gratitude for the dedication and hard work. Hundreds of fans around the world have contributed and helped Field of Glory grow and become the benchmark game that it now is. Now you are able to research and see their successes and failures.

Upcoming features for the system will include information about allies for each army list, the addition of doubles matches, individual rankings by country, year end rankings and much more.

Field of Glory is a miniature gaming system that uses model figures and terrain to recreate the great battles of the ancient and medieval world, written by some of the biggest names in the wargaming community, including the co-author of the popular DBM rules, Richard Bodley Scott. Field of Glory allows players to use miniatures in any scale to re-fight historical scenarios or create their own what if battles.

Tournament organizers are encouraged to submit their results and have them included in the rankings.

For more details visit http://www.slitherine.com/fog_tt_rankings
philqw78
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus

Post by philqw78 »

Just one thing, may be my browser, but when hovering over rankings to get the drop down the list appears, but as soon as I start moving down the list it dissappears. Had to right click, to get an otion for the list header, which froze the list, then move down and click what I wanted.

Ohter than that excellent, mountains of completely useless information. It will take me days, nay weeks, to get through it.
phil
putting the arg into argumentative, except for the lists I check where there is no argument!
Robert241167
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Post by Robert241167 »

Hi guys

This is great and I particularly like the ability to look at your own history in competitions.

Any ranking system that puts me above Roger Greenwood gets my vote!! :lol:

Rob
Ghaznavid
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by Ghaznavid »

philqw78 wrote:Just one thing, may be my browser, but when hovering over rankings to get the drop down the list appears, but as soon as I start moving down the list it dissappears. Had to right click, to get an otion for the list header, which froze the list, then move down and click what I wanted.
More likely your browser settings then your browser as such. I tested the page with Opera, FireFox and Konquerer under Linux and under Windows with Internet Explorer 7, Internet Explorer 8, Safari and Chrome.
Please take a look at the picture below:

As you can see the drop down box should overlay the menubar by about 2 px (but anything that's not a gap is fine), if there is a gap between the menubar and the drop down however that's what causes your problems. That should be pretty much impossible though unless you are using some very dated Browser or made some unusual font settings that override the page settings.
Karsten

~ We are not surrounded, we are merely in a target rich environment. ~
zoltan
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Rankings - data reliability?

Post by zoltan »

Well any ranking system that says I'm USA and leaves me off the NZ list has got to be flawed.

;->)
Ghaznavid

Post by Ghaznavid »

Well we mostly worked from the results in the old Hall of Honour and whatever other data was provided to us. Since Country of origin is not usually something provided for the players in a tournament we worked from the assumption that a player is from the country where he played the 1st tournament. With some exceptions (notably among the folks from Australia/New Zealand and France/Belgium) it worked pretty ok, but is of course far from failsafe.

If you (or anyone else) has any corrections or additional informations, by all means contact us: fog_tt_results@slitherine.co.uk

(You will have to give us you actual name though, as we do not have a Zoltan in the database. ;) )
Karsten

robertthebruce
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by robertthebruce »

Amazing, Incredible work guys :lol:
Martin0112
Slitherine
Slitherine

Re: Rankings - data reliability?

Post by Martin0112 »

zoltan wrote:Well any ranking system that says I'm USA and leaves me off the NZ list has got to be flawed.

;->)
I think we have fixed this now.
Please have a look if you are feeling better now :)
Armies ready:
EAP
Alexander
Seleucid
Indian
Swiss
Hussite
Minoan
Late Republican Roman

WIP:
Old Kingdom Egyptian
Philistine
Neo-Assyrian Empire
Nikephorian Byzantine
Ordonnance French
Later Carthaginian
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

philqw78 wrote:Just one thing, may be my browser, but when hovering over rankings to get the drop down the list appears, but as soon as I start moving down the list it dissappears. Had to right click, to get an otion for the list header, which froze the list, then move down and click what I wanted.
I have this problem at work but not at home.

The right-click things works, however, so no biggy.
Ghaznavid

Post by Ghaznavid »

rbodleyscott wrote:

Ok, I slightly increased the overlap, since I can't reproduce the problem here, can you please check if that helped?
Karsten

petedalby
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Post by petedalby »

Great piece of work guys!

Sadly I feel it's all downhill from here!
Pete
philqw78

Post by philqw78 »

rbodleyscott wrote:I have this problem at work but not at home.

Problem Management

However the Problem still exists. Have just tried it again.
phil
putting the arg into argumentative, except for the lists I check where there is no argument!
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Ghaznavid wrote:
rbodleyscott wrote:

Ok, I slightly increased the overlap, since I can't reproduce the problem here, can you please check if that helped?
Still doing it. Is it of significance that the white (closed) drop down menus are showing through the coloured drop down menu?
Ghaznavid

Post by Ghaznavid »

If it does that, your browser has some serious deficiencies in correctly applying the CSS that styles the site ... in other words I guess you are still using IE6?
If so, sorry, but IE6 is officially outdated for over 3 years now (and inofficially since it was released ;) ), it has simply to many deficiencies and is not supported. If you do not have serious reasons to stick with IE6, I really recommend an update. The number of sites that do not support IE6 (any more) is increasing rapidly.
Karsten

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Ghaznavid wrote:If it does that, your browser has some serious deficiencies in correctly applying the CSS that styles the site ... in other words I guess you are still using IE6?
If so, sorry, but IE6 is officially outdated for over 3 years now (and inofficially since it was released ;) ), it has simply to many deficiencies and is not supported. If you do not have serious reasons to stick with IE6, I really recommend an update. The number of sites that do not support IE6 (any more) is increasing rapidly.
Fair enough. As I said it isn't a big deal anyway - right clicking on the drop down menu stops the pesky thing escaping.
SirGarnet
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by SirGarnet »

Very nice. I like the army stats - it appears over 120 armies have not reached tournament play.

Is buried in there somewhere a statistic that indicates how drawish/decisive a particular army has been, other than manually tallying the distribution of results for a particular army from the army details?
Ghaznavid

Post by Ghaznavid »

MikeK wrote:Very nice. I like the army stats - it appears over 120 armies have not reached tournament play.

Is buried in there somewhere a statistic that indicates how drawish/decisive a particular army has been, other than manually tallying the distribution of results for a particular army from the army details?
Not yet, but a nice idea, I will give it some thought.
Karsten

hammy
Field of Glory Team
Field of Glory Team

Post by hammy »

MikeK wrote:Very nice. I like the army stats - it appears over 120 armies have not reached tournament play.
That is not actually true. There are a significant number of those armies that have been played in doubles tournaments in the UK but as yet the doubles comps are not on the list. I have definitely faced some of the missing armies in tournament play but then I play a lot of doubles.

Phil and I will for example be using Koryo Korean next weekend at Usk.

Also a lot of the missing armies are from the two latest books.
madaxeman

Post by madaxeman »

When do you think this will be available as an iphone app?
http://www.madaxeman.com
Holiday in Devon? Try https://www.thecaptainscottagebrixham.com
Ghaznavid

Post by Ghaznavid »

hammy wrote:
That is not actually true. There are a significant number of those armies that have been played in doubles tournaments in the UK but as yet the doubles comps are not on the list. I have definitely faced some of the missing armies in tournament play but then I play a lot of doubles.
Fascinating how some people talk themselves into a corner. :P
You know Hammy, a cursory check of the old HoH gives a grand total of 8 doubles in it. So either there aren't as many doubles as you sweeping statement suggests, or a lot of them are missing from the HoH. (In which case we are back to the proven formula of "it is all Hammys fault", since getting the results from UK tournaments to the Webmaster of the FoG page is the job of whom again? Yeah, right, thought so. ;) )

To be exact the double results I found are:
  • Anderida 2009
  • Leeds Doubles 2009
  • Shieldwall 2009
  • SoA Oxford Doubles 2009
  • Doubles Derby 2008
  • Rampage Doubles 2008
  • Oxford Doubles 2008
  • Leeds round from BHGS doubles
With doubles making such a minuscule percentage of the total tournament results it shouldn't surprise anyone that we did not consider including double tournaments a very high priority.
Karsten

Return to “Field of Glory : Ancient & Medieval Era 3000 BC-1500 AD : General Discussion”