Conforming on an angled charge

This forum is for any questions about the rules. Post here is you need feedback from the design team.

Moderators: philqw78, terrys, hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Design, Field of Glory Moderators

rpayne
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Conforming on an angled charge

Post by rpayne »

Dannie Martz and I have been having an argument about this for a few weeks now. We discussed it on the American FoG Yahoo Group thing, but he wants an official ruling from the people here, so I'm posting it here as well.

I have a diagram:

Basically the root question is, is a base that adds dice on impact required to conform frontally to the base it threw dice against on impact, or does it conform to an overlap position if that is the shorter distance.

Thanks.
david53
Major-General - Jagdtiger
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by david53 »

If you both had four dice each I would say B just cause it looks right? not a logical reason but in FOG if it looks right its normally right.(I'm sure I'm wrong in that case)
IanB3406

Post by IanB3406 »

It's C in both cases.
petedalby
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Post by petedalby »

I believe it is C - see page 70.

The key is the 'minimum necessary' to conform either frontally or to an overlap position.
Pete
deadtorius
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by deadtorius »

I think C, but in the case of the A charge on the angle the overlap would be on the other side, minor point. Its move the minimum to conform, if you can't conform you don't but fight as if you had.
iversonjm
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by iversonjm »

Its still C, even on this forum. :wink:
kal5056
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by kal5056 »

Having studied the diagrams on both forums I have to agree with Matt.
C.
Just because a base throws dice on impact does not mean it must be in front edge to front edge contact with an enemy base in melle. An over lap is perfectly acceptable provided that this is the minimum movement required to allow at least one base to line up front edge to front edge with one base of the enemy BG.

Gino
SMAC
Mehrunes
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Mehrunes »

I vote for C in both cases, too.
peterrjohnston
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by peterrjohnston »

petedalby wrote:I believe it is C - see page 70.

The key is the 'minimum necessary' to conform either frontally or to an overlap position.
Actually no, it's the minimum necessary to conform to the "enemy bases in contact". A wording that, from experience, causes confusion with non-native English speakers as to whether it's B or C. The "convention" in the UK seems to be that the answer is C (and I think I've followed this when umpiring), but I can see B being a valid argument to be that you have to maintain contact with both the enemy bases you are in contact with.
Mehrunes
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Mehrunes »

Isn't front corner to front corner a contact, too?
peterrjohnston
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by peterrjohnston »

I think the confusion is in contact in the sense in combat with, not the geometry.
DavidT
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by DavidT »

Surely for D it is C as that is the shortest move, but for A it is B, as the move distance is less. For A, if you look at the front left corner of the front right blue element, the distance that cornetr has to go to line up as per B is less than the distance it has to go to line up as C.
philqw78
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus

Post by philqw78 »

I would also say A to B and C to D, as its the minimum move.
phil
putting the arg into argumentative, except for the lists I check where there is no argument!
kal5056

Post by kal5056 »

I fail to see how the 2 could have a different answer as the first move of A would be to pivot until it looks like B and then shift to D.

Gino
SMAC
kal5056

Post by kal5056 »

Rather Pivot until it looks like D then shift to C
philqw78

Post by philqw78 »

kal5056 wrote:I fail to see how the 2 could have a different answer as the first move of A would be to pivot until it looks like B and then shift to D.

Gino
SMAC
Why should it have to pivot first? Its just minimum move. If it does pivot that makes the move even longer and kills your own theory again.
phil
putting the arg into argumentative, except for the lists I check where there is no argument!
kal5056

Post by kal5056 »

Because in order to conform for melle you must get lined up front edge to front edge (unless something makes this impossible)
Thus you pivot to parralel then slide the minimum neccessary to be in legal melle contact.

Gino
SMAC
kal5056

Post by kal5056 »

These bases are 40 x 20 I presume.
If you slide to the right you will slide nearly 35 mm then pivot.
If you slide to the left you will slide 5 mm then pivot. Surely we can agree that the pivot covers the same arc so the variable is the slide.

Gino
SMAC
philqw78

Post by philqw78 »

kal5056 wrote:Because in order to conform for melle you must get lined up front edge to front edge (unless something makes this impossible)
Thus you pivot to parralel then slide the minimum neccessary to be in legal melle contact.
kal5056 wrote:These bases are 40 x 20 I presume.
If you slide to the right you will slide nearly 35 mm then pivot.
If you slide to the left you will slide 5 mm then pivot. Surely we can agree that the pivot covers the same arc so the variable is the slide.

Gino
SMAC
Since it is mimimum move, if it is less movement to comform by going left then left it would be. It looks like it would be less movement to go right to me. So then we need a rule on how the furthest move is measured. Currently the front right corner will move more in one circumstance than the other, and the front left will move less in that circumstance than the other. Oh what fun.
phil
philqw78

Post by philqw78 »

kal5056 wrote:Because in order to conform for melle you must get lined up front edge to front edge (unless something makes this impossible)

Gino
SMAC
Also this would make it impossible to conform in some circumstances when conforming is clearly allowed. Coinsider a friendly BG to the left or right of a BG charged. If it was in a position that crossed the line of contact it would be impossible to conform after an angled charge.
phil

Return to “Rules Questions”