D-DAY SF Campaign : The Battle of Pegasus Bridge

Download scenarios and talk about scenario design.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators

Amaris
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

D-DAY SF Campaign : The Battle of Pegasus Bridge

Post by Amaris »

Hi,

Here's my first scenario - The Battle of Pegasus Bridge, inspired but not realistic/historical scenario ;-) This is designed as a solo scenario. This is also the first release, there is still work (full briefing, Benouville's sector should be improved as the game ends - need feedbacks).

Download : https://sites.google.com/site/bbcbaamaris/ (on my website)

Install : Unzip the Amaris_Missions.zip into the My Documents\My Games\BBCBA\Campaigns folder.

Lenght : ~80 turns (40 for britishs, 40 for germans)

Missions : At the end of the game, you must have control of the Horsa Bridge, the Pegasus Bridge and the Benouville's crossroads.

Initial Start :

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Hints :
- You have only one Bren Carrier (arrives with reinforcements in turn 4), and is the only carrier for your mortars.
- Mortars are your only supports, use them well.
- Push hard to take the two bridges.
- Be careful by advancing to Benouville.

Comments, feedbacks and suggestions are welcome ;-)
Last edited by Amaris on Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pomakli
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Bren carrier?

Post by pomakli »

Thank you for the scenario!

The downloaded zip-data is named "pegasus".

When I open it in campaigns folder, there apeears another zip data named "amaris missions" and "read me" file.

Can play it, but can't find any bren carrier?

:?
pomakli
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

new pictures?

Post by pomakli »

And you excatly what I wanna do!!

How did you add new pictures at the beginning of the scenario?

Pls. explain!
pomakli
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Reinceforcement!

Post by pomakli »

pomakli wrote:Can play it, but can't find any bren carrier?
I got my answer!

"Patient!...

:wink:

As reinceforcement!
Amaris
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by Amaris »

- Yes, bren carrier arrives with reinforcements in turn 4.

- Pictures created with Gimp 2 (http://www.gimp.org/, dds plugin http://code.google.com/p/gimp-dds/downloads/list) as 1024x1024 .dds file (saved to Mes documents\My Games\BBCBA\CAMPAIGNS\Amaris_Missions\DATA\UI).
twoeyes
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by twoeyes »

Nice Map.

If you look in the scenarios folder in the game, you'll see text files ending in "_lighting". These control the lighting and shadows for each mission. As I remember, the Pegasus bridge attack was undertaken at night? If you copy Normandy9_lighting.txt from the 2Normandy/scenarios folder into the folder containing your new Pegasus bridge mission and rename it to match the name of your scenario (keeping the _lighting at the end of course), then the mission would appear to be at night.
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

Very cool! We'll have to get the paras fixed so you can use them :)

Cheers

Pip
Amaris
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by Amaris »

Thank you all :oops:

> Twoeyes : great idea ;-) I'll check lighting for next release.

> Pip : Wonferfull ! After finishing this one, I'll see the attack of Merville's battery ;-) British Para will be useful.
SCFullA
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by SCFullA »

Cracking scenario idea, will have to try it immediately.
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

The para has released so you can finish this off :)
Amaris
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by Amaris »

The second release ;-)

Notes :
- Added lighting and shadow to render the night's attack.
- Added delay betwen the capture of Pegasus Bridge and the German's counter attack.
- Some change in the map for a better gameplay.
- Added reinforcement from Sword Beach at turn 20.
- Replace British Infantry by British Para :

Download : https://sites.google.com/site/bbcbaamaris/

Please, I need feedbacks of the balance and the difficulty to finish it 8)
tim1966
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by tim1966 »

Just played as the Brits. Cracking map and scenario! I thought it well balanced - for some reason it didn't stop on 40 turns and we had fought each other to a stand still. I've had the privelage of visiting Pegasus bridge and you've really captured the look and feel for me.

Be nice if the Paras had scouts and mortars in the right uniform and they could maybe do with a PIAT team.

Keep up the good work - I would love to see an Arnhem campaign!
Models from Tim's Surplus Store ... Established 1966 ... Open 24/7 ... closed for TEA TIME
SCFullA

Post by SCFullA »

Replacing the Inf/Eng with Paras means you have to close even faster and assault, it's improved the scenario.
Acererak
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Acererak »

Great job! Amazing map and very enjoyable scenario. Would love to see some Paratroopers campaign as well! As for the feedback :

- Pretty much hold and secured objectives by turn 26. Maybe turn time limit to 30 or so turns would be better
- Both counterattacks (not sure if two SDFKZs that came around turn 35 was supposed to be so) a little bit underpowered
- Maybe change one mortar for one Piat+30 cal. team? Make it a little bit more varied in units and probably one mortar less would make it a bit tougher

Keep them coming!
Amaris
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by Amaris »

First thank you all very much for feedbacks :oops:

- Well the victory conditions must be reworked ; I am not sure that work in all cases ;-)

- I have no skill to change the 3D's models, but the idea is good :P

- I think to replace or add a Piat team (but British Para is already good against tank) or/and also a Bren team (as long range weapons) ?

- Last counter attack may be too weak (only two Sdfkzs with infantry), I'm going to see possibly adding a tank...

- I'll take a few more tests, particularly for the victory conditions before the next release. I just lack of time (too much work :() So please continue to test ;-)

- I just bought a nice book on the British airborne landing and Sword Beach, so my next scenario will be the Merville Battery, a shorter scenario I think. After that, I'll see if I continue on the D-DAY (with US Airborne : Sainte-Mère-Eglise for exemple) or if I jump on Market Garden... Well, yes i love infantry 8)
LOGAN5
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by LOGAN5 »

Sainte-Mère-Eglise , the only person i have ever heard say the name of this place was John Wayne. I don't know how accurate that movie is but i have this idea of this German gun in the bottom of a house and maybe some MG42s on the roof or something.. Allies pinned across the street, how did they get out of that jam anyway? I guess we might need to create a John Wayne unit for those impossible situations :)
maximvs

Post by maximvs »

Great scenario, most enjoyable, well done!
MikeAP
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by MikeAP »

Good mission.

No ending, but still a good start.

My only recommendation is to move the mortar team from the 2nd Battalion to an area that a transport can get to.
CaptainSlow

Post by CaptainSlow »

Good mission! Been to the bridge this summer so its fresh in memory.

I agree with some of the comments after several rounds of play. It is well balanced. To leave the second mortar behind feels a bit weird. And the scenario could sure enough use a piat. Especially on the counterattack of the germans. Of course, para's are light armoured against armour, but this is a but too much. I decided to sit and wait for the Sword reinforcements and the tank. Gives a couple of turns of doin nottin.
But that said, I throroughly enjoy the mission and the map is excellent! I played version 2 and it properly ended with me finishing off german resistance.

Thanks for the playing fun.
CS
MikeAP
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by MikeAP »

CaptainSlow wrote:Good mission! Been to the bridge this summer so its fresh in memory.

I agree with some of the comments after several rounds of play. It is well balanced. To leave the second mortar behind feels a bit weird. And the scenario could sure enough use a piat. Especially on the counterattack of the germans. Of course, para's are light armoured against armour, but this is a but too much. I decided to sit and wait for the Sword reinforcements and the tank. Gives a couple of turns of doin nottin.
But that said, I throroughly enjoy the mission and the map is excellent! I played version 2 and it properly ended with me finishing off german resistance.

Thanks for the playing fun.
CS
I believe there was use of the Piat during this engagement in real life.

Return to “Battle Academy : Scenario Design”