Operation: Market Garden

Download scenarios and talk about scenario design.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators

Deadmeat1471
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Operation: Market Garden

Post by Deadmeat1471 »

Would anybody be interested in a couple of maps representing this operation? or one map containing the whole mission scaled down (probably the most fun this way)?

I've been thinking of making it, and wondering if anyone has good resources. I have maps and can research troops numbers to give approximate relative order of battle for both sides. Its however a fairly in depth operation and ideas/resources would be very welcome!
I began a campaign for this on Combat Mission Normandy a while ago, and found ABSOLUTELY no interest! being british Market Garden has always had some fondness to me as a part of the war.

Any interest? any ideas?
MikeAP
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by MikeAP »

Great idea.

If I can find the time, I'll help contribute a map. I'm just not very good with scripting
tim1966
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by tim1966 »

Definately interested. Have you heard of Flames of War? Its a 15mm war game - I saw what looked like a great scenario for the battle at the bridge for this game in Wargames Illustrated a few months back. I think it would trnalsate very well in Battlefield Academy. I'll try to dig it out.
Models from Tim's Surplus Store ... Established 1966 ... Open 24/7 ... closed for TEA TIME
Acererak
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Acererak »

There is actually one mission in the Normandy Campaign where you need to relief some paratroopers surronded by Axis assault that reminds me a lot of this whole operation.

I think a Campaign based on Market Gatden would be a blast, and definitely interested and willing to help with some Beta testing if you need.

I do think several scenarios based on some of the fights for the bridges (and one big Street Fight Scenario for the last bridge would be awesome) will work better than scaling down the whole operation (scale of the game is much smaller), but hey, maybe you finnally get a very nice scenario if you go that way.

There is a whole lot of information out there about this Operatio so i dont think you would have much trouble doing some research for the maps.

Take the leap!
PirateJock_Wargamer

Post by PirateJock_Wargamer »

Here's some of the information from the Wargames Illustrated site to whet your appetite.
CaptainSlow
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by CaptainSlow »

With the arrival of the para's market garden is imo an ideal story to portray;
The drop at arnhem; the isolated para's of Frost at the bridge while the others try to reach them through the city;
The americans struggling to capture nijmegen bridge;
XXX corps rushing over a narrow road towards arnhem

The only thing missing as far as I know is the ability in game to cross rivers. The americans (under Gavin) heroically crossed the river at Nijmegen to capture the bridge from the other side in broad daylight (by many considered to be the bravest action of WW2). The Polish para's tried to reach the Brits at Oosterbeek in boats; and than the Brits retreated from Oosterbeek across the Rhine by boat.

Mm, from this perspective it reads like a navy operation ;-)

But I am all for an Arnhem pack since it is such a dramatic story. Can't imagine ppl not being interested.

Capt. Slow

@tim1966 I think Flames of War (which I own) and its supporting rulebooks make excellent supportive material and its campaign maps easily transfer to this game. I have some PDF so PM me if someone is interested
Lagedor
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Lagedor »

I'd definitely be interested in Market Garden/Arnhem campaigns or scenarios - follow the link to my website in my sig to see why!

Unfortunately I don't think I have got the time (or skill!) to do any scenario design myself, but would be more than happy to help with any testing and have got loads of books on Arnhem in particular if you need anything looking up!
--
Ian

@Lagedor_ on Twitter
http://hill107.net/ - documents and photos relating to the Battle of Arnhem, Battle of Crete

--
tim1966

Post by tim1966 »

Great site Ian - have you had a look at making maps - they don't need any scripting knowledge. I'm sure we could all work together to get a script int then. I can do some basic stuff. Also I'm happy to help make models like gliders etc.
Models from Tim's Surplus Store ... Established 1966 ... Open 24/7 ... closed for TEA TIME
Lagedor
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Lagedor »

I did have a quick look at map editor when the game came out - put a river across a map with a bridge over it :) Never really got anything I was that happy with though!
--
Ian

@Lagedor_ on Twitter
http://hill107.net/ - documents and photos relating to the Battle of Arnhem, Battle of Crete

--
junk2drive
BA Moderator
BA Moderator

Post by junk2drive »

Ian I had a look at your website.

If you get tired of WWII airborne, I always found this action interesting

http://www.standto.com/airborne/suez.html
You can call me junk - and type that with one hand.
Lagedor
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Lagedor »

Interesting - got to admit I know very little about the Suez Crisis from the military point of view, didn't know airborne troops were involved at all, and certainly had never heard of 'Operation Musketeer'.

And from that article it seems that they were essentially using WWII equipment...

Going to have to read up on this!
--
Ian

@Lagedor_ on Twitter

--
CaptainSlow

Post by CaptainSlow »

On that same webpage is also a reference to the bruneval raid, which could make for an interesting mission as well.
First drop for Frost and his man, to capture axis parts of their radar equipment. Raid was very successful; they brought back the parts (although some sources say not all the right ones) and it was a first 'victory' in a long line of defeats boasting morale for the home front. Did a lot to support the build up of airborne troops as a force.

CS

Return to “Battle Academy : Scenario Design”